'Prometheus' and 'Alien Covenant' explained

You mean this un-named movie in production? Scheduled for release in October 2021.
dba7os0-6d37c1eb-8c98-442b-a1c7-e129dc6355ad.png
Does that look like a real fkn poster to you??

Lol at the previous page. If only the MOVIES were actually good.

I watched Prometheus 2 days ago, in full, because of this thread. Rapace needed to survive. The music from Prometheus hurt it.. It was hopeful, with some depth. The story itself had some potential depth, so you started to expect it. It never came. Instead, like this last page, fans have to make up depth that isn’t there so they have some interesting sci fi.

The engineers shouldn’t have been shown kick starting life in ceremonial ways around the galaxy, willing to sacrifice themselves, if they were going to be borderline mindless assholes. It’s just fkn stupid. Also, that would have to be BILLIONS of years ago that they planted those seeds on earth, they would be insanely advanced, and it wouldn’t have to disagree with Darwinian evolution. But again, that depth WAS NOT THERE. They did not THINK IT ALL THROUGH. It’s just nothing.. like 30 year old Pierce in horrible old man make-up says. (Wtf was that?)

Last edited:
Lol at this last page. If only the MOVIES were actually good.

I watched Prometheus 2 days ago, in full, because of this thread. Rapace needed to survive. The music from Prometheus hurt it.. It was hopeful, with some depth. The story itself had some potential depth, so you started to expect it. It never came. Instead, like this last page, fans have to make up depth that isn’t there so they have some interesting sci fi.

The engineers shouldn’t have been shown kick starting life in ceremonial ways around the galaxy, willing to sacrifice themselves, if they were going to be borderline mindless assholes. It’s just fkn stupid. Also, that would have to be BILLIONS of years ago that they planted those seeds on earth, they would be insanely advanced, and it wouldn’t have to disagree with Darwinian evolution. But again, that depth WAS NOT THERE. They did not THINK IT ALL THROUGH. It’s just nothing.. like 30 year old Pierce in horrible old man make-up says. (Wtf was that?)
Just hundreds of thousands . The oldest anatomically modern human fossil is around 300K years old.

There may have been 2 or more factions of Engineers. The ones who seeded life and the ones who decided to wipe out humans. Or the generations that came after the ones that seeded life just changed their mind about humans.

Just hundreds of thousands . The oldest anatomically modern human fossil is around 300K years old.

There may have been 2 or more factions of Engineers. The ones who seeded life and the ones who decided to wipe out humans. Or the generations that came after the ones that seeded life just changed their mind about humans.

Are you saying the engineers showed up a few hundred thousand years ago on a post-dinosaur planet teeming with all kinds of fish, plants, reptiles, mammals, bugs and bacteria and that the whole point of the sacrifice was just to somehow add humans to the mix? A mix that already had apes before they showed up...

Because otherwise it seems you are looking at billions of years ago, and that does seem to be what the barren and sterile landscape of the scene implies as well.

Not that I really believe Lindelof gave it this much thought himself.

Dude that picture is bale from Salvation. Lol.
Wrong movie. Bale was in 'Terminator Salvation,' 2009.
Indeed, we may be seeing Bale in 'Alien Awakening' when it comes out. Look at the poster, were there eggs, an alien ship, and David in Terminator?

Last edited:
Hey @BisexualMMA, you seem to be in the know on this issue. Do you think the Space Jockey and the Engineer are one and the same?
I say they are two different species. Engineers imitated Space Jockey technology.
Alien-comparison.jpeg

Hey @BisexualMMA, you seem to be in the know on this issue. Do you think the Space Jockey and the Engineer are one and the same?
I say they are two different species. Engineers imitated Space Jockey technology.
Alien-comparison.jpeg

Well, if I am taking Prometheus etc. as legitimate then yeah I think at that time Ridley and company intended to retroactively make the Space Jockey into an engineer.

However, I won't be surprised if in the future they change things again and have something like what you suggest.

And all of that said, in 1979 the Space Jockey was not intended to be an engineer or alpha or anything else, and that's kind of what I'm sticking with until the later material is good enough that I feel like including it. Until then, like I said, it's off to the side with Highlander 2.

Are you saying the engineers showed up a few hundred thousand years ago on a post-dinosaur planet teeming with all kinds of fish, plants, reptiles, mammals, bugs and bacteria and that the whole point of the sacrifice was just to somehow add humans to the mix? A mix that already had apes before they showed up...

Because otherwise it seems you are looking at billions of years ago, and that does seem to be what the barren and sterile landscape of the scene implies as well.

Not that I really believe Lindelof gave it this much thought himself.

Well I am assuming the engineers only seeded human life or the sacrificed engineer's dna only affected apes who were already on earth. Nothing of others species is ever mentioned.

There's a thing that happens when a series goes on too long: they feel the need to tie new entries into old ones and overexplain small loose ends.

A good example of this is in the Pirates of the Caribbean series. In the first (best) movie, there's a small scene where Jack is telling a tale to two royal sailors that ends with him saying, "... and then they made me their chief." It's inconsequential to the movie, but a fun character moment. Until a later entry brought the story to the island and the tribe in question and wore the joke into the ground.

The same thing happened to the Alien series. I didn't need to know the backstory of the big corpse in the big ship. The mystery added to the tension and the bleak atmosphere of the film. Explaining too much strips away elements that make a story special. That's part of what went wrong with Prometheus.

Well I am assuming the engineers only seeded human life or the sacrificed engineer's dna only affected apes who were already on earth. Nothing of others species is ever mentioned.
I don't think that scene in Prometheus was Earth.

The same thing happened to the Alien series. I didn't need to know the backstory of the big corpse in the big ship. The mystery added to the tension and the bleak atmosphere of the film. Explaining too much strips away elements that make a story special. That's part of what went wrong with Prometheus.
I would disagree.
If you look at the 'Star Wars' movies, the same thing happened. You go backwards and forward in time. Things are explained and the fans seemed to have liked it. I think Ridley Scott has found a new lease on the 'Alien' franchise after Disney purchased Fox. Much like 'Star Wars,' some of the 'Alien' and 'Predator' movies were great and others sucked. Some fans did not like 'Prometheus' or 'Alien Covenant.' The missing scenes from both movies that you can find on YouTube really would have made both movies much better. Hence the reason for this thread. I'm not sure why critical scenes were deleted. There are at least 2 venues that explain what has happened so far. It will be interesting to see which venue Scott will follow.

* Update
'Alien Awakening' is now set to be released on October 15, 2021, from 20th Century Studios.

I thought it was pretty obvious they were showing the planet pre life, with the engineers getting evolution started. If not, really stupid lol

I thought it was pretty obvious they were showing the planet pre life, with the engineers getting evolution started. If not, really stupid lol
I could be wrong then.

I believed the opening scene from Prometheus was not set during the time of the dinosaurs because there is no fauna around that looks like it is from that time period.

I also didn't think it was set millions of years before the time of the dinosaurs because earth was a kind of primordial toxic goo then.

I could be wrong then.

I believed the opening scene from Prometheus was not set during the time of the dinosaurs because there is no fauna around that looks like it is from that time period.

I also didn't think it was set millions of years before the time of the dinosaurs because earth was a kind of primordial toxic goo then.

The earth had to be cooled and exist in close fashion to what the movie portrays for a long time for evolution to get kick started, even though it was in the oceans.

The earth had to be cooled and exist in close fashion to what the movie portrays for a long time for evolution to get kick started, even though it was in the oceans.
The more one watches the explanations , analysis and dissection of Prometheus and Covenant and the script changes, the more it is clear that Scott , the script writers and producers were ad hoc changing and ditching ideas trying to figure out what would make people happy, not just audience, but the movie studio execs.

If I could say anything to Scott, it would be : Don't listen to the Xenomorph fanbois. Make the Engineer lore movie you always intended to.

I could be wrong then. I believed the opening scene from Prometheus was not set during the time of the dinosaurs because there is no fauna around that looks like it is from that time period.
There is 'flora' in the opening scene of the movie. I believe this shot was not shown in the original movie. The Engineers should have been smart enough to know that animal life would follow.
prometheus_1.jpg

Last edited:
Back