Pre-fight Discussion UFC Fight Night: Grasso vs. Shevchenko 2 Sat. Sept. 16 @ 7 PM ET ESPN+

Planning to watch

• All of it

• Most of it

• Some of it

Results are only viewable after voting.
101865-3657786.png

Free fight. Grasso vs. Shevchenko 1.

yup just re-watched that 1st fight.
gonna say that Valentina I think will make this 2nd fight as wrestling-heavy as she can. I think that's where she has a notable natural advantage.
I expect lots of takedown attempts from Valentina, probably quite early on. Whether it works or not for her....that's the big question.

Preview: UFC Fight Night 227 ‘Grasso vs. Shevchenko 2’
TOM FEELY SEP 14, 2023
The Ultimate Fighting Championship on Saturday will return to Las Vegas with UFC Fight Night 227, which it has branded “Noche UFC” to celebrate Mexican Independence Day by featuring Mexican and Mexican-American talent at T-Mobile Arena. This event was hit particularly hard by injuries and fighter replacements, but the headliner has remained intact, as Alexa Grasso looks to defend her women’s flyweight title in a rematch with former champion Valentina Shevchenko. The co-headliner between Kevin Holland and Jack Della Maddalena is decidedly not in line with the Mexican theme but figures to be an excellent fight, while the rest of the main card sees some fun pairings that seem guaranteed to provide some action.

Now to the UFC Fight Night “Grasso vs. Shevchenko 2” preview:

https://www.sherdog.com/news/articles/1/Preview-UFC-Fight-Night-227-Grasso-vs-Shevchenko-2-191027

yup just re-watched that 1st fight.
gonna say that Valentina I think will make this 2nd fight as wrestling-heavy as she can. I think that's where she has a notable natural advantage.
I expect lots of takedown attempts from Valentina, probably quite early on. Whether it works or not for her....that's the big question.
For sure, that's what I'm anticipating as well. Grasso had a good first round against her last time and then Shevchenko dominated rounds 2 and 3 with a wrestling-heavy approach. Round four was a bit less one sided as Grasso was able to keep it standing and shrugged off a couple of Val's takedown attempts. Then late in round 4 Shevchenko tried that spinning kick and Grasso hopped on on her back not letting go turning it into the face crank submission.

It's unlikely Shevchenko makes the same mistake of a poorly timed spinning kick. So that leaves us with how both fighters' teams have trained for this one. Valentina might not need to change much of her game plan from the first fight, in which she appeared coasting to victory until making that mistake.

It seemed Grasso was a bit respectful of Val on the feet in their first fight. It's possible she could be more aggressive in her striking or I should say have more sting in her punches this time around. Also she could get taken down, reverse position and go for ground and pound.

Keith Shillan made a great point in his preview with Ben Duffy. He said if the fight was a year ago of course everyone would pick Shevchenko. And if this fight is a year from now he would pick Grasso. So we arrive at the intriguing question of how they both look Saturday. In Shevchenko we're talking about one of the most well rounded fighters in wmma history.

Both Shillan and Duffy picked Shevchenko by decision for this one. On the basis that Valentina was winning the first one, won't make the same mistake twice, and will win on points. A reasonable assessment. Yet MMA often has a way of confounding our predictions.

We shall soon see! It's a great match up.

Both Shillan and Duffy picked Shevchenko by decision for this one. On the basis that Valentina was winning the first one, won't make the same mistake twice, and will win on points. A reasonable assessment.

This. Bullet is coming with a new plan to fix her mistakes and is bringing the gold back Saturday!

giphy.gif

Great card this weekend. I’m way more excited about this card than 293. But Strickland winning made that card awesome as fuck. I’ll never forget certain fights. I know where I was and if I was alone, or not..etc, etc..

I’m sure you people have yours, too.

Bisping vs GSP. GSP vs Penn ll. Weili vs Joanna l, and ll. Werdum vs Stipe. Jan vs Izzy. Khabib vs Conor. Poirier vs Conor ll, and lll.

Fights like those, and many more.. Izzy vs Strickland joins those fights in a place of prominence within my memory warehouse.

ME..The big rematch. I’m sick of these already. There’s barely any movement in certain divisions because of this instant rematch nonsense. Or fighters trying to get 2 belts.

I scored Shevchenko/Taila 48-47 Taila. Oh and Shevchenko was the female fighter of the year that year. For the World MMA Awards or, some shit. She had ONE win by SD in 2022. How the hell was she female fighter of the year?

It’s ludicrous, imo. Any girl who had more than one win in 2022 was more deserving than her. Just sayin.

Anyway..

I’m wondering if Shevchenko’s arrogance will be her downfall? She pretty much said Alexa got lucky. Really disrespectful considering there was all kinds of video showing Alexa drilling that backtake move. That is the complete opposite of getting lucky. It was something in her tool kit, and was awesome to see.

I had Shevchenko by decision. If Alexa did not get the sub after the back take. The score would probably have been tied after round 4. All or Nothing going into round 5. But, Shevchenko believes she dominated the fight. And of course it was Herzog’s fault she lost, as well.

Get a grip, lady. She’s got excuses for all 3 of her UFC losses. That fight was closer than she thinks. And could be her undoing on Saturday. How serious has this camp been for her, I wonder. If she’s overlooking Alexa again. She will lose.. Again.

I’m curious to see any changes each fighter, and their camp may have made going into the rematch. Shevchenko’s ego is huge. I wouldn’t be surprised if she didn’t change anything.. Except she probably won’t be throwing that ridiculous spinning back kick in this fight.

This is a coin toss for me. Hardest fight on the card to pick. I’m leaning Alexa by decision. But no result here would surprise me. Tko, sub, decision.. Take your pick of the three by either fighter. But, I don’t think there will be a finish this time, though. I think Shevchenko may be a little more cautious. And probably will try to take Alexa down, and lay and pray.

I’m 100% cheering for Alexa. She’s exponentially easier to like than Shevchenko, for me.

Co-Main..

I think JDM wins that one. But Holland can certainly win as well. My pick is probably JDM by decision. But this one is..

tight.gif

Curious to see how Raul bounces back after his first pro loss. I hope he was humbled by that last fight. Him talking about winning three belts was a little off putting to me. I’m going to pick Raul by sub.

Mexican born Loopy emigrated to Canada when she was 13. She has dual citizenship, I believe. Half Canadian is better than not Canadian at all. I’ve definitely grown to like her more and more. I like pretty much everything about her. Loopy by decision.

Another Canadian girl, Jasmine is on the card too. She impressed me with that win over Maverick at 289 in Vancouver. This could be close. But I’m definitely picking Jasmine by decision.

Canadian girls kick ass!

Canadian Kyle Nelson is on the card as well. But I don’t think he will win. Probably loses by tko. I hope I’m wrong.

All of those fights have my attention. Looking forward to it.

Nothing official about my picks until I do my Tap on Saturday morning.

Thanks for the thread, @PurpleStorm

Back