Pre-fight Discussion UFC 301: Pantoja v. Erceg, Sat. 5/4, Prelims 6PM ET, Main card 10PM ET PPV

Planning to watch

• All of it

Votes: 12 42.9%
  • Most of it

Votes: 9 32.1%
  • Some of it

Votes: 7 25.0%

• Total voters

Preview: UFC 301 Prelims​

Brito vs. Shore​

FacebookTwitterReddit0Email

TOM FEELY MAY 1, 2024 COMMENTS

The nine-fight preliminary slate for UFC 301 follows the same mold as the main draw this Saturday at Farmasi Arena in Rio de Janeiro: It offers little in the way of star power but does see some well-matched bouts between Ultimate Fighting Championship talents on the upswing. It starts with the featured undercard pairing, as all-action featherweight Joanderson Brito looks to extend his winning streak against the technically proficient Jack Shore. From there, young women’s strawweight prospect Iasmin Lucindo getting a shot at a former title contender in Karolina Kowalkiewicz stands out as the other clear highlight.

Now to the preview for the UFC 301 prelims

Featherweights
Joanderson Brito (16-3-1, 4-1 UFC) vs. Jack Shore (17-1, 6-1 UFC)

ODDS: Brito (-148), Shore (+124)

Brito’s been bubbling under as a potential breakthrough featherweight for a few years now, and the Brazilian looks to keep bringing the excitement until the point that he gets his big break. Brito’s contract-earning win over Diego Lopes on the Contender Series in 2021 has continued to age well, but that led to a disappointing UFC debut for “Tubarao” a few months later, as he got outworked and outlasted by Bill Algeo en route to a decision loss. But Brito has brought nothing but electricity in the years since. An explosive athlete set on violence, Brito rebounded with three straight first-round finishes—including a particularly brutal 41-second knockout ofAndre Fili—heading into his bout against Jonathan Pearce last November. That one had a bit more drama, as Pearce found some success with his grinding wrestling game, but Brito eventually found a second-round finish in memorable fashion. Pearce dared Brito to do something about the fact that he was getting out-wrestled, only for Brito to immediately get the fight back to the feet and score a submission. Brito probably deserves a shot to break into the UFC’s featherweight rankings at this point, but he instead gets another tough opponent in Shore, who looks to keep carving out a path at featherweight. Shore made his name as a top bantamweight prospect ahead of his 2019 UFC debut, and the Welshman impressed in short order upon hitting the Octagon, fighting behind a sound and consistent pressure game while looking to eventually drag his opponents to the mat and find a finish. But the main worry was that “Tank” wouldn’t be the type of elite-level athlete that could compete at the top ranks of 135 pounds. That issue took a bit longer to manifest itself than expected, but when Shore hit a wall against Ricky Simon, he hit it hard in a one-sided loss. Shore moved up to 145 pounds for a bout against Makwan Amirkhani a shade over a year ago, and while it did eventually end in a one-sided win, there are still some worrying signs against Shore’s long-term featherweight future. Prior to Amirkhani’s ever-present cardio issues showing up, Shore did seem to struggle physically with a featherweight-sized wrestler. Shore definitely has more of a process than Brito, but that might not matter here in the face of a clear athleticism gap; and when Brito gets things done, he typically does so quickly and violently. The pick is Brito via first-round submission.

Continue Reading »
Brito vs. Shore
Lucindo vs. Kowalkiewicz
Orolbai vs. Brener
Silva vs. Gomis
Klose vs. Silva
Ruffy vs. Mullarkey
Barbosa vs. Kareckaite
Bonfim vs. Pichel
Costa vs. Borjas

Why couldn't they make Baldo vs Cruz happen? I know he just wants to fight off his contract so he can get back to boxing without being under control of the UFC, but they could have found a better name for him.
I thought I saw someone mention Cruz was offered the fight but he's injured. That would have been a dream fight.

*Edit - here Aldo says he was offered Cruz but Cruz was having trouble with his camp so Aldo asked for a top 5 name

Preview: UFC 301 ‘Pantoja vs. Erceg’​

Pantoja vs. Erceg​

FacebookTwitterRedditEmail

TOM FEELY MAY 2, 2024 COMMENTS

UFC 301 has arrived, and it certainly feels like a victim of the post-UFC 300 hangover. This ranks as one of the Ultimate Fighting Championship’s lowest-wattage pay-per-views in recent memory, but at least the top two bouts serve as a homecoming for two of Rio de Janeiro’s top fighters: flyweight champion Alexandre Pantoja and all-time great Jose Aldo. However, even if Steve Erceg and Jonathan Martinez each make for interesting opponents, their lack of name value makes this a card only hardcore fans can appreciate. Beyond that, the rest of the main draw features Brazilian talent on the rise. Vitor Petrino and Caio Borralho get compelling tests against Anthony Smith and Paul Craig, while Michel Pereira gets an action-packed potential showcase against Ihor Potieria.

Now to the UFC 301 “Pantoja vs. Erceg” preview:

UFC Flyweight Championship​

#10 P4P | Alexandre Pantoja (27-5, 11-3 UFC) vs. #10 FLW | Steve Erceg (12-1, 3-0 UFC)

ODDS: Pantoja (-185), Erceg (+154)

This is a championship pairing that came out of nowhere and is stretched a bit thin as a main event, but it’s nice to see Pantoja get some shine in his hometown after a long, underrated career. When the UFC gathered a bunch of regional champions for Season 24 of “The Ultimate Fighter” back in 2016, Pantoja was the deserved top seed; and while he fell short in the season’s semifinal, Pantoja kept himself relevant as a top-level fighter who doubled as one of the most exciting entrants in the division. Pantoja would try and take his foot off the gas at times, but he was always at his best in an all-out war, combining knockout power with a particularly vicious back take game. While Pantoja consistently proved to be the highlight of the card whenever he showed up, he also had a knack for falling one win short of getting a long-overdue title shot. After a close decision victory over Manel Kape to kick off 2021, blowout victories over Brandon Royval and Alex Perez made Pantoja undeniable as the next contender for the flyweight belt, even if he did have to wait a bit to get his shot at then-champion Brandon Moreno in 2023. It was a familiar pairing—Pantoja had already beaten Moreno on “The Ultimate Fighter” and in a 2018 bout—and the Brazilian came out on top once again in their closest fight to date. It was far from a clear performance from either man, but Pantoja showed the proverbial heart of a champion in the process. It was an exhausting bout, but Pantoja kept gutting through and finding the right strike or the right takedown at the right moment to keep halting Moreno’s momentum and walk away with the win. In contrast, Pantoja’s first title defense was a bit disappointing relative to expectations, at least in terms of the violence that he usually brings to the table. Rematching Royval less than two and a half years removed from their last bout, Pantoja took a decision mostly on the back of a wrestling-heavy approach. It was at least the smart fight given Royval’s danger as a striker, and it once again showed Pantoja’s ability to keep fighting hard through exhaustion. However, it also showed a surprising lack of aggression against an opponent the new champ had already run through once before. A few months prior to UFC 301, it became apparent that Pantoja was likely to headline the card as the lone Brazilian champion who figured to be available, and the expectation was that he would defend against the winner of a February bout between Moreno and Amir Albazi. However, Albazi got injured and Royval stepped in to beat Moreno, so Pantoja was left without an obvious next challenger. Surprisingly, the call went to rising Australian Steve Erceg, who has not built up much of a profile but should at least make for a fun matchup.

Erceg’s about a year removed from signing with the UFC, at which point he was one of Australia’s top prospects. Success wasn’t guaranteed for “Astro Boy” inside the UFC. He didn’t read as much of an athlete and made most of his hay as a submission artist on a scene mostly devoid of standout grapplers. Surprisingly, Erceg showed up in much-improved form immediately upon hitting the Octagon, particularly as a striker. He leaned on his tools on the feet to stay ahead of David Dvorak, and after an uglier win against Alessandro Costa, he did some excellent work ahead of a knockout of Matt Schnell this past March. However, there are some signs that Erceg could struggle here thanks to an athleticism gap, particularly in his fight against Costa. It was a clear Erceg win where he was mostly able to dictate the fight, but Costa did blast him hard at a few points, which could set up a finish if Pantoja pulled the same trick. That gives the much more proven champion the benefit of the doubt, though this is a winnable fight for Erceg if Pantoja shows up in subpar form. The challenger is enough of a grappling threat to force this into an absolute dogfight and has the craft to take things over if Pantoja slows down. Still, the read is that Pantoja’s horsepower allows him to stay ahead of things, even if Erceg could make this a tough fight. The pick is Pantoja via decision.

Continue Reading »
Pantoja vs. Erceg
Martinez vs. Aldo
Petrino vs. Smith
Pereira vs. Potieria
Borralho vs. Craig
The Prelims

PPV?
Lol, no.

Earlier than usual weigh-ins for this card. 7:50am ET / 4:50am PT

109605-4090558.png

I thought I saw someone mention Cruz was offered the fight but he's injured. That would have been a dream fight.

*Edit - here Aldo says he was offered Cruz but Cruz was having trouble with his camp so Aldo asked for a top 5 name

I really hope they do the Aldo vs Cruz fight later this year, especially if Aldo wins and looks good which I believe he will. I've heard this might be Aldo's last fight on the contract, not sure if its true but I hope they resign him if it is.

So many great fights to put Aldo in, and he has still got it. He looked very good in his last UFC fights, he was 3-1 in his last 4 against all top 10 opponents and he could have been 4-0, the Merab fight was disgusting, it was so frustrating to watch, I never felt it was even a "fight"

Saw some boxing fights and yup Aldo still got it, he is still super slick and fast. I think he is gonna style on Martinez. They should do Aldo vs Cruz next, they have both been in WEC forever and both been in UFC forever and never fought.

I really hope they do the Aldo vs Cruz fight later this year, especially if Aldo wins and looks good which I believe he will. I've heard this might be Aldo's last fight on the contract, not sure if its true but I hope they resign him if it is.

So many great fights to put Aldo in, and he has still got it. He looked very good in his last UFC fights, he was 3-1 in his last 4 against all top 10 opponents and he could have been 4-0, the Merab fight was disgusting, it was so frustrating to watch, I never felt it was even a "fight"

Saw some boxing fights and yup Aldo still got it, he is still super slick and fast. I think he is gonna style on Martinez. They should do Aldo vs Cruz next, they have both been in WEC forever and both been in UFC forever and never fought.
Can't wait to watch Aldo return, hoping he pulls it off!

I have also decided to turn into a cat!

cats are gay

Back