Opinion POTWR 2019 Vol 19: What's Your Favorite Conspiracy Theory?

Which CT do you find most interesting?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
This 'we're living in a simulation" notion is somewhat intriguing.

Not quite to the end, but I don't understand if it's us doing the simulating. And if so, why the fuck would we simulate the world we see around us? I mean, I'm doing great, but I still gotta go to work. Fuck that shit. Am I an NPC? :(

Not quite to the end, but I don't understand if it's us doing the simulating. And if so, why the fuck would we simulate the world we see around us? I mean, I'm doing great, but I still gotta go to work. Fuck that shit. Am I an NPC? :(

Joe "if we dont fight them over there, we'll have to fight them over here" Rogan
Hes done dude.

Its an argument that people don't take seriously but seems like it could actually happen. If we assume at some point computers can run convincing simulations then you would have very little way of figuring out you are an NPC. If we then assume that there could be thousands or millions of simulations running then what are the odds you are in the one root or base reality, the one authentic reality? Even if we figured out that we were in a simulation what would we do? We couldn't very well go on strike so to speak. Civilization still has to keep running or your simulation is about to turn to shit. It all gets a bit nihilistic at some point if you are grinding away work days knowing you are in a simulation.

Its an argument that people don't take seriously but seems like it could actually happen. If we assume at some point computers can run convincing simulations then you would have very little way of figuring out you are an NPC. If we then assume that there could be thousands or millions of simulations running then what are the odds you are in the one root or base reality, the one authentic reality? Even if we figured out that we were in a simulation what would we do? We couldn't very well go on strike so to speak. Civilization still has to keep running or your simulation is about to turn to shit. It all gets a bit nihilistic at some point if you are grinding away work days knowing you are in a simulation.

Computers are running the simulation at human behest?

Computers are running the simulation at human behest?

Well that's the argument right? At some point in history, in the root reality, we develop computers sufficiently powerful enough to run "ancestor simulations" that are indistinguishable from reality. So we start running them, maybe we're trying to learn something about our past, who knows, but we start running them, maybe some computer people run simulations inside the simulation. You would have no real way of knowing if you were inside a simulation. Maybe we could eventually figure it out, reduce nature to a series of code and infer that something was not right, but then what would we do?

Here is an example of something that will make you scratch your head a little. This guy discovered computer code in string theory that describes the universe. If we were in a simulation then this sort of thing is what you might expect to see.

Well that's the argument right? At some point in history, in the root reality, we develop computers sufficiently powerful enough to run "ancestor simulations" that are indistinguishable from reality. So we start running them, maybe we're trying to learn something about our past, who knows, but we start running them, maybe some computer people run simulations inside the simulation. You would have no real way of knowing if you were inside a simulation. Maybe we could eventually figure it out, reduce nature to a series of code and infer that something was not right, but then what would we do?

Here is an example of something that will make you scratch your head a little. This guy discovered computer code in string theory that describes the universe. If we were in a simulation then this sort of thing is what you might expect to see.

In the Rogan vid the guy says that simulations will do the least work necessary, more or less. For example, it won't simulate items in a drawer that's not opened. Why simulate consciousness? Seems like a fuckton of work to make me think I'm experiencing the world and utilizing free-will, when if you're running countless simulations you could let random chance do the work.

I still don't see how there'd be value in expending the resources. Going back in time doesn't change how the universe works.

Conspiracies for fun as in they can be entertaining but I don't believe in them for a second;

Flat earth and secret places in the South Pole that only the elect can visit.

Conspiracies that I think there is some merit to;

JFK

Conspiracies that I'm becoming slightly more willing to believe in:

Certain stakeholders and corporations using media and other venues to polarize society and cause division by focusing on issues that are miniscule but keep the populace busy bickering back and forth, like bathroom bills, pushing transgender athletes, 3000 different gender identities. It keeps people looking in the wrong direction.

why the fuck would we simulate the world we see around us? I mean, I'm doing great, but I still gotta go to work. Fuck that shit. Am I an NPC? :(

Do you even Matrix bro? We figured this reasoning out 20 years ago!

Conspiracies that I'm becoming slightly more willing to believe in:

Certain stakeholders and corporations using media and other venues to polarize society and cause division by focusing on issues that are miniscule but keep the populace busy bickering back and forth, like bathroom bills, pushing transgender athletes, 3000 different gender identities. It keeps people looking in the wrong direction.
Most definitely not a conspiracy

Spend some time in the PR world and its tributaries you'll have a much more solid understanding

If you dont have time to read you can get a decent intro from Adam Curtis' Century of the Self

Simulation theory is just as wacky as any religion.

It is an attempt to explain the canvas our painting is painted on.

No one knows what that is. We're doing a good job of explaining the painting but anyone claiming to know the canvas is enjoying fantasy.

The Tao that can be named is not the Tao.

The simulation thing, I don't think we can take seriously when we consider the very small things. Take just the phenomenon of rust. The oxidation and its patterns, the transformation of metal into brittle flakes, the details of pitting. That's simulated, really? That's just one of millions of similar processes and most of them are so small we can't see them without tools. The thrown-together patchwork of evolution is a sim? Strains credulity. Those are comments on the physical unreality of the idea.

The "mathematical" idea (there are more simulated universes than real ones, so it's unlikely ours is real) is actually just offensive. It's not really different from saying that there are infinite possible configurations of a human, and therefore it's more likely that you're not who you are, so your disembodied consciousness is inhabiting a different body from your own.

For me that is probably the least interesting CT, though an interesting CT could be that there is an effort to get people to believe we're living in a simulation, in order to manipulate them.

200px-Bonhommerichard.jpg

Whats this?

Always wanted to hear a debate between a Flat Earther and a Hollow Earther.

I've never watched this movie(s)

I don't believe it. Are you kidding me?? You, YOU haven't seen the Matrix??? The first Matrix????? Bro I'd expect you to have seen over 10+ times. Wow. Bro.

I'll save the rest for when you watch and tell me how you feel missing out all this time. Read the comments too on the vids, you'll easily see what the movie is really about. It's pretty much THE movie that tells the story when you read beyond the action scenes.

Whats this?
Either one of the century's great coincidences or my favorite conspiracy

That's (at the time) Captain George Morrison aboard the USS Bon Homme Richard with his son, Jim, about 8 months before the Gulf of Tonkin incident, of which Captain Morrison was the commander of the naval forces involved.

I don't believe it. Are you kidding me?? You, YOU haven't seen the Matrix??? The first Matrix????? Bro I'd expect you to have seen over 10+ times. Wow. Bro.

I'll save the rest for when you watch and tell me how you feel missing out all this time. Read the comments too on the vids, you'll easily see what the movie is really about. It's pretty much THE movie that tells the story when you read beyond the action scenes.

Lol, no one can ever believe me (anyone that knows what I think) but indeed, I have not seen it.

Lol, no one can ever believe me (anyone that knows what I think) but indeed, I have not seen it.

Stop everything you're doing and watch it now lolol! You'll be watching it once every few months for the rest of your life! :eek:

Stop everything you're doing and watch it now lolol! You'll be watching it once every few months for the rest of your life! :eek:
I'm kind of ducking it at this point. I think I already see the world the way the movie paints it (atleast, what I know of the movie)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back