Crime Perjuring the Swamp (New report: Trump instructed Cohen to lie to Congress) +WOW+ (SCO Thread v. 27)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You don't have to believe it but they are doubling down and putting their reputation on the line.

Mueller didn't outright deny what they reported

If they fabricated this story they are done and they just recently got nominated for a Pulitzer so I'd be surprised if they published this with no due diligence.

So like I said I want to know if they ran this by Mueller. I want to know the source etc...

None of this is an actual reason to believe the article.

Your personal hunch isn't a good enough reason to believe anything.

You're applying the word where it doesn't meet the definition you insist upon. The intent to deceive and put forth a crafted version of facts is part and parcel of propaganda.

That doesn't exist here, so again I ask: if the story about Conor possibly being a rapist is untrue, that's propaganda, right?
I'm doing no such thing. You're using a meaning that isn't the definition of the word to define the word in the way you (wrongly) believe the meaning of the word to be.

That would depend on the motive for publishing that Conor is a rapist. Just being false doesn't make it propaganda.

Here's Merriam-Webster's definition of the word:

2: the spreading of ideas, information, or rumor for the purpose of helping or injuring an institution, a cause, or a person
3: ideas, facts, or allegations spread deliberately to further one's cause or to damage an opposing cause

The first was about the Catholic Church so obviously that wasn't one.

Here's dictionary.com definition

information, ideas, or rumors deliberately spread widely to help or harm a person, group, movement, institution, nation,etc.

Like i said, I'm not putting anything into or leaving anything out of the meaning of the word, you are. Propaganda doesn't need to have an intent to deceive.

I ask again, in pursuit of the correct application of the word propaganda: if the story about Conor McGregor turns out to be untrue, by the definition stated, is that propaganda?

While I seen you asking this question of other's you have not previously asked it of me.
Without knowing who that is I would say, yes, it is propaganda provided he is a politician.

can i make a joke about the mod notes, i didnt see that restriction in the mod notes.

dont believe anything a guy that is going to prison for lying says. I have dealt with liars in my life and they will swear on their dead mother to complete a lie

I agree with everything you are saying about liars, although I don't think you are being fair in assuming that Trump is going to prison.;)

I did not say Mueller's investigation has nothing. They made arrests and convictions.
I only speak of collusion with Russia or Trump being compromised

If you truly think Republicans would not impeach Trump if they found out he colluded with Russia to win the presidential election.... your vision is too cloudy, my friend.
Behind closed doors most would be happy for Trump to get the boot.

I think you are giving republicans in the senate too much credit, their decision would be contingent upon what republican voters were feeling about the specifics of any collusion. There are several republicans on here who have made it clear that they would consider anything the Trump campaign did in coordination with Russia to be reasonable in the service of winning an election, especially against Hillary, and I don't think they are a small faction of GOP voters. There are a handful of GOP senators (Gardner, Murkowski, Collins, etc.,) who wouldn't support Trump no matter what, but as we have seen with former Russian hawks Graham and Romney this past week with the sanctions vote, GOP senators fall in line.

I did not say Mueller's investigation has nothing. They made arrests and convictions.
I only speak of collusion with Russia or Trump being compromised

If you truly think Republicans would not impeach Trump if they found out he colluded with Russia to win the presidential election.... your vision is too cloudy, my friend.
Behind closed doors most would be happy for Trump to get the boot.

Maybe I’m clouded because I have no faith the republicans would impeach Trump for colluding with the Russians.

Since Mueller has stated the Buzzfeed story is a lie and CNN questioned its legitimacy from the beginning, should this thread be moved to the dump?

Fixed for you friend!
Yeah, that too, because he's a disgusting piece of shit. So? There is still plenty for an unbiased person to consider smoke that leads to expectations of a fire.

If he is exonerated, so be it, let the cards fall where they may, but if you try to suggest it doesn't look bad, I will suspect you are the one having trouble sorting truth from fiction.

I'm doing no such thing. You're using a meaning that isn't the definition of the word to define the word in the way you (wrongly) believe the meaning of the word to be.

That would depend on the motive for publishing that Conor is a rapist. Just being false doesn't make it propaganda.

Here's Merriam-Webster's definition of the word:

2: the spreading of ideas, information, or rumor for the purpose of helping or injuring an institution, a cause, or a person
3: ideas, facts, or allegations spread deliberately to further one's cause or to damage an opposing cause

The first was about the Catholic Church so obviously that wasn't one.

Here's dictionary.com definition

information, ideas, or rumors deliberately spread widely to help or harm a person, group, movement, institution, nation,etc.

Like i said, I'm not putting anything into or leaving anything out of the meaning of the word, you are. Propaganda doesn't need to have an intent to deceive.
Doesn't need intent? What part of the word deliberately gives you trouble in this context, exactly?

Maybe I’m clouded because I have no faith the republicans would impeach Trump for colluding with the Russians.
If they get the impression the next election might go the way of the mid-terms, they'll turn on their mothers if they think it will improve their odds of re-election. That equation depends a lot upon how willing they are to believe polls about Trump specifically after the 2016 election. Hopefully, they'll take that group of hardcore idiots that get their news from social media into account this time and get a more accurate picture.

Question repeated from another thread that I don't think was answered:
How many Republican seats up for grabs in the Senate in the 2020 election?

Question repeated from another thread that I don't think was answered:
How many Republican seats up for grabs in the Senate in the 2020 election?
I believe 21, vs 12 Dem seats. It's being called "tough" for Democrats but I think it's a hell of a lot better than 2018. copy/paste from Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_United_States_Senate_elections

Alabama Doug Jones Democratic
Alaska Dan Sullivan Republican
Arkansas Tom Cotton Republican
Colorado Cory Gardner Republican
Delaware Chris Coons Democratic
Georgia David Perdue Republican
Idaho Jim Risch Republican
Illinois Dick Durbin Democratic
Iowa Joni Ernst Republican
Kansas Pat Roberts Republican
Kentucky Mitch McConnell Republican
Louisiana Bill Cassidy Republican
Maine Susan Collins Republican
Massachusetts Ed Markey Democratic
Michigan Gary Peters Democratic
Minnesota Tina Smith Democratic
Mississippi Cindy Hyde-Smith Republican
Montana Steve Daines Republican
Nebraska Ben Sasse Republican
New Hampshire Jeanne Shaheen Democratic
New Jersey Cory Booker Democratic
New Mexico Tom Udall Democratic
North Carolina Thom Tillis Republican
Oklahoma Jim Inhofe Republican
Oregon Jeff Merkley Democratic
Rhode Island Jack Reed Democratic
South Carolina Lindsey Graham Republican
South Dakota Mike Rounds Republican
Tennessee Lamar Alexander Republican
Texas John Cornyn Republican
Virginia Mark Warner Democratic
West Virginia Shelley Moore Capito Republican
Wyoming Mike Enzi Republican

I agree with everything you are saying about liars, although I don't think you are being fair in assuming that Trump is going to prison.;)
Trump isnt going to prison. You cant be punished for someone you know breaking the law

Trump isnt going to prison. You cant be punished for someone you know breaking the law

1. I didn't say he was going to prison
2. SDNY says Donald "individual 1" Trump broke the law
3. Don't know what Mueller's team knows

Doesn't need intent? What part of the word deliberately gives you trouble in this context, exactly?
I said doesn't need "intent to deceive" which it doesn't. The world deliberately was used as a means of promoting an agenda, doesn't mean that's promoting a deceptive agenda.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back