Rumored Paulie got paid 7 figures for BKFC fight Vs Artem

Yes, I am.

I wasn't engaging in boxing vs. UFC pay, only that his numbers and those examples were wrong.

And likely lost money in the process, which makes that business model unsustainable.

UFC 191
115,000 buys

$5,750,000 Gross PPV Revenue
-50% (Cable Company)
$2,875,000 UFC PPV Revenue

$1,362,700 Live Gate
-35% (Venue Tax, AC, etc.)
$885,755 UFC Live Gate Revenue

$3,760,755 UFC Gross Revenue
-10% Advertising
-$1,500,000 UFC Production
-$1,381,000 Fighter Purses

$503,680 + Sponsors + International Broadcast = UFC Net Revenue

TLDR: The UFC may have made as much as the fighters did for UFC 191.

((800,000 buys * $50) - Cable Company) - $20,000,000 = Zero Dollars

The UFC makes $36 per buy, and if McGregor had made $100 million for UFC 229, then the UFC would've immediately been in the red with -$13,600,000, from McGregor's purse alone (doesn't factor Nurmagomedov's purse or the other fighters on the card).

Hey stop with the 50/50 cut already this isn't the 90's stop buying their kool aid.

There is no god damn way they split that 50/50 with a freaking provider not in modern times. I would believe something like 60/40 and them handling promotion on top of everything.. and now Dana found the internet and is going for a 80/20 split or something along the lines of that. PS: have you noticed the UFC promotion in the last year or so.. it only exists for a medium cards up.

Makes no sense how the boxing promoters afford to dish out those pays if they split it up 50/50.. oh poor Zuffa does better then the average boxing card but pays them 25% makes sense to WME only.

And the same boxing promoters keep doing shows it's like they make money isn't it.

That was a $5 performance by Pauly. BKFC already going broke.. it'll be gone by the end of the year.

I'm sure Paulie got well paid, but a million bucks?
[citation needed]

That's just North American markets. They have broadcast deals across the world, especially Russia. Plus adverts and licensing. I'm betting the people that matter made money.
They were in the red (by $1.5 million) from Ward's purse alone, even worse after Kovalev (since he got a direct cut of gate/PPV).

At best the promotion may have broke even, but it was a commercial disappointment regardless.

Hey stop with the 50/50 cut already
The year of that event, the split was 50/50 with the cable companies (source), they didn't get a better split until streaming services started to impact the market (maybe the last two years).

The split is different today (and it varies depending on the company):

"With satellite providers (Dish Network and DirecTV), around 55% of the sales price goes to the UFC. With cable television providers (Time Warner, Spectrum, AT&T), it is around 60%. For video on demand streaming, approximately 70% of the sale goes to the UFC."
https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2018/10...efight-biggest-event-financial-mma-statistics

Bas Rutten has personally guaranteed that Paulie will be paid his 1,000,000 - 9,999,999 salary as promised

I believe it, because Paulie had to know he might get screwed like that on a decision and it would tarnish his reputation, so he wanted to get paid to risk that happening. Also his perceived beef with Artem/Conor is what sold the card and had more people interested in it than UFC/Bellator last weekend.

They were in the red (by $1.5 million) from Ward's purse alone, even worse after Kovalev (since he got a direct cut of gate/PPV).

At best the promotion may have broke even, but it was a commercial disappointment regardless.

The year of that event, the split was 50/50 with the cable companies (source), they didn't get a better split until streaming services started to impact the market (maybe the last two years).

The split is different today (and it varies depending on the company):

"With satellite providers (Dish Network and DirecTV), around 55% of the sales price goes to the UFC. With cable television providers (Time Warner, Spectrum, AT&T), it is around 60%. For video on demand streaming, approximately 70% of the sale goes to the UFC."
https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2018/10...efight-biggest-event-financial-mma-statistics

I know the 'public info' I've seen it before in such debates you aren't the first guy I clash on this PPV deals and I don't trust any of those sources I think it's just a smoke screen so the fighters don't realize how much the UFC really makes of their backs.. the only decent pay is for a select few and they earned that 10 times over.

My logic is the pay on those big boxing cards.. everyone gets payed, promoters, networks, A side B side everyone makes their coin and they do it again and again in the UFC only Zuffa, Dana and 2-3 named fighters get payed.

How do you explain why they made that Ward rematch ? why did they agree to give that purse are they really that dumb to have over-payed and made no profit for themselves on a fighter that never really drew big.. did they suddenly think this is their 1 mill PPV rematch I don't think so I don't think they are stupid.

At least that's my stance on it.

<Fedor23>

I believe it, because Paulie had to know he might get screwed like that on a decision and it would tarnish his reputation, so he wanted to get paid to risk that happening. Also his perceived beef with Artem/Conor is what sold the card and had more people interested in it than UFC/Bellator last weekend.

Tarnish his reputation ?

Of what, a jester.. a circus act that spit in pressers, 'his reputation' lol. Expected to be played by the decision ? this ain't boxing this was a shit show there are no guarantees this judges don't even know wtf they are seeing in MMA and have been at it for 25 years you think they know wtf is happening in a 2 min round circus act that has been around for 2 weeks.

He did it for a paycheck and for the chance to set up a boxing match vs Conor to get a real payday but the dork failed hard he isn't built for that circus act (rules, style, format etc).

That's just North American markets. They have broadcast deals across the world, especially Russia. Plus adverts and licensing. I'm betting the people that matter made money.
Yep, there's always more to it. Although in this case I'm trying to figure out how they're gonna generate that amount of money from what looked like MAYBE 5000 people in a high school gym and Hooters sponsors

Tarnish his reputation ?

Of what, a jester.. a circus act that spit in pressers, 'his reputation' lol. Expected to be played by the decision ? this ain't boxing this was a shit show there are no guarantees this judges don't even know wtf they are seeing in MMA and have been at it for 25 years you think they know wtf is happening in a 2 min round circus act that has been around for 2 weeks.

He did it for a paycheck and for the chance to set up a boxing match vs Conor to get a real payday but the dork failed hard he isn't built for that circus act (rules, style, format etc).

Because top boxers like Ward have guarantees. And it isnt the first time a promoter has lost money or barely broke even on an event, I’m pretty sure Wards promoter at the time was Roc Nation. It wouldn’t of ruined them.

I don't believe that

His motivation for taking this fight was revenge

I'll like to understand an example of a creative insurance policy that could cover something like this. I don't need an example of it happening, just the logistics.

It works almost like sports wager for the insurance companies. For example in the world of concert festivals or any festival in general or just concerts if the promoter is smart enough. Promoters will have an insurance policy on the event. So let's say an event takes place over 4 days and the success of the event depends upon primarily on admission and sales of food, beer, soda, rides, etc. etc. The insurance policy may be written that if any day the festival takes place and more than 1/2 inch of rain falls or whatever amount is agreed upon between the hours of "X and X" the promoter can can collect "x" amount of money. Usually someone on behalf of the insurance company needs to be there to verify this in there rain gauge. So he or she(promoter) might pay $30,000 a day for this insurance to maybe payout $100,000 per an incident for that lost revenue. Most major festivals have something in place similar to this. It could written that a major lighting storm effects show and that day's 3 top bands that bring the people there can't play they may collect "X" amount. Usually it would be the guarantee the bands get and probably estimate loss of other revenue. Lower the pay out the lower the premium.

Sturgis is good example. Just about all those major bars that bring the big bands have this out of the ordinary insurance coverage on top of the standard insurance policies one would have. Many of them only operate the week around Sturgis and make their money for the year. So bad weather can wipe out any chance of making money even it's just one night that gets rained out.

There is all different ways these things get written up. But if you can dream it up chances are you can find an insurance company willing to take a gamble on it. My guess is BKFC did something to guarantee Paulie a 7 figure pay day if this is true. So it would have to be a bet against PPV numbers. I highly doubt they got the cold hard cash to pay it.

Did the show even generate 7 figures of revenue?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back