Pantoja vs Erceg thoughts

CashMoney1991

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
That was a pretty good fight, never heard of Erceg before and thought it was an easy one for Pantoja, Erceg is ranked ten, I cant member the last time a guy with that rank got a TS, I scored it 49-48 Pantoja winning rounds 1, 2 and 5 , Erceg is legit, he should have a boost in ranking even though he lost, ten is just too low for a guy who almost beat Pantoja

I agree that Ercegs performance was a pleasant surprise, he really made the most of the title shot.

That being said, any bozo who scored that fight for Erceg has no business watching MMA. They need to take their limited attention span and go watch YouTuber boxing or something.

<puhlease>

I agree that Ercegs performance was a pleasant surprise, he really made the most of the title shot.

That being said, any bozo who scored that fight for Erceg has no business watching MMA. They need to take their limited attention span and go watch YouTuber boxing or something.

<puhlease>
2 judges had it even going into the 5th, where Erceg decided to take Pantoja down and get reversed, again.

That was a pretty good fight, never heard of Erceg before and thought it was an easy one for Pantoja, Erceg is ranked ten, I cant member the last time a guy with that rank got a TS, I scored it 49-48 Pantoja winning rounds 1, 2 and 5 , Erceg is legit, he should have a boost in ranking even though he lost, ten is just too low for a guy who almost beat Pantoja

Man, are you on the beers or what?

Are you saying you'd never heard of Erceg and thought it would be an easy fight for Pantoja? if so, why would you think Erceg would be easy if you'd never even heard of him?

And if you had Pantoja winning 3 rounds then you scored with 48-47, not 49-48, which I think isn't impossible anyway.

I thought Erceg was good, but I think Pantoja beat him clearly. Alot of questionable decisions and lack of activity

Also Erceg is way too big for this weight class. Dude looked like a large BW in there

Also Erceg is way too big for this weight class. Dude looked like a large BW in there

He's the same size as Тagir Ulanbekov, whom is another Flyweight.
Looks like the division has 2 giants now.

Agree. I became a fan after the fight but grapplers will exploit his inadequate wrestling.
I really don't think his wrestling is inadequate Pantoja is champion because he's the best at holding position in the UFC, there's no other flyweight graplers who do that to Steve. Maybe Taira but he's untested.

Good call man. This was a win for Erceg and the flyweight division as a whole.

Unlike the Brazilian fans, Pentoja and Erceg showed up and represented themselves extremely well. Erceg proved that even though he was only ranked #10, has only been in the UFC for less than a year, etc he is a champion level fighter. We also saw that lack of experience at the top level be a major factor in the outcome of the fight.

But considering Erceg is only 27, I think it is safe to say we just saw the future champion of the division that could very well stay there for quite a while.

Round 1 - Pantoja
Round 2 - Ecerg, but could have gone either way
Round 3 - Pantoja
Round 4 - Ecreg
Round 5 - Pantoja

I gave Erceg 3 due to him landing the better shots and busting Pantoja open, but it could’ve definitely gone the other way as well, close fight

I think he will definitely go up in ranking based upon last Saturday, but I don't think he should.

The problem I have is that the entire logic of "he fought him close so he should be ranked closer" is based on MMAMath and "he would probably fight other guys similarly".

But as we've seen repeatedly, styles make fights and Dom Reyes could arguably beat the GOAT just to fall off the map.

Rankings should be based upon resume and a loss should still be a loss. Maybe don't drop him because it was to a much higher ranked guy, but I don't like the idea of moving him up on a loss.

And if you don't like being hamstrung in weird positions when the #10 guy loses a close fight to the champion, then do better matchmaking imo /shrug.

If the judges followed damage is #1 logic. Then even the 5th round goes to Erceg. Bro landed a big elbow to the face and was lighting Pantoja up with jabs and hooks and high kicks on the feet.

The takedown from Pantoja was mostly control. Landed a few baby gnp strikes.

With that said, I don't really like wrestling and takedowns not really counting for anything unless you do damage.

Judges don't even consistently follow the damage 1st criteria.

But I think most fans hate lnp and grapplers so they want wrestling to count even less than it does now.

mclovin dont deserve it cos he's mclovin. They might as well cancel that div if he won

Back