orlando snatchez: your new champ

What this showed is that a significant fraction of grapplers today, even at the highest level, continue to have a glaring hole in their games that can be exploited by a guy with a good strategy.

I'll put it this way, who is going to buy a Sanchez instructional? Merchandise? Go to his seminars? Sponsor him?

Some will, but in such a niche sport limited admiration translates into limited income and limited respect.

This is not to say that winning is meaningless, but it's equally a fallacy to think all winning is alike.

A few people bought his Budovideos Instructional

RVCA and SYR are his main sponsors.

Oh, and the dude has a nice little car collection going. I'm pretty sure Orlando is doing quite well.

He had one subbed armbar from crucifix from top position. Yes he's fabricios training partner,yes he's boring as fuck and yes he and this type of grapplerrs will own adcc from Now on untill they change the stupid guard pulling rule

Trainning with Werdum everyday plus his strenght will make him a tough mf to sub.

It doesn't matter if you win by an inch or by a mile. Winning's winning.

It's a great win for him, but let's see how many EBI/Polaris/Metamoris events he gets invited to. Style matters a lot in terms of chances to earn money in BJJ, and only insomniacs would pay to see Big O compete.

We need Orlando Sanchez vs Brendan Schaub.

Don't do it man. I like living on this earth.

divide-by-zero.jpg

I mean yeah, Orlando is boring to watch, but maybe some of the posters on this board should self-assess before shitting on him as hard as they are, and disrespecting him to such a degree. He just won fucking ADCC and beat some very big names.

I mean yeah, Orlando is boring to watch, but maybe some of the posters on this board should self-assess before shitting on him as hard as they are, and disrespecting him to such a degree. He just won fucking ADCC and beat some very big names.

Big difference between my opinion of him as a fan and as a practitioner. It's not like I would ever have a chance against someone like Orlando or any of the guys he competes against regularly. I don't deny his skill, just that he's not much fun to watch. BJJ (and MMA to a certain degree) tends to be the only sport where guys make the argument 'you couldn't beat him so you can't criticize his style'. That's retarded. I'm not criticizing his effectiveness but the aesthetics of it. I'm also not going to beat Jon Fitch in MMA, does that mean I can't say he's a boring fighter?

Though if you want to make a direct comparison, my personal BJJ style is a lot more interesting than Orlando's, probably to my detriment as I like to chase subs (especially leg attacks) when I probably shouldn't. As an amateur not making my living off BJJ I have the luxury of giving up some effectiveness for the sake of fun. And besides, you'll never get very far telling people they should like guys who seem to go into matches looking to score and stall rather than finish people. Of course everyone respects the win, but being really conservative just isn't entertaining.

From what I've heard he's a great guy who has overcome a lot, so I'm not blaming him as a person ... and winning ADCC is a huge accomplishment. But his grappling is cancer.

it's clearly a bait thread, and the majority of the posts in here are meant to bring levity to an otherwise underwhelming final day, so idk, i wouldn't take it too seriously. nobody is shitting on his prowess; he is just insufferable to watch

I'm gonna start an Orlando Sanchez prayer vigil thread.

*lights candle

it's clearly a bait thread, and the majority of the posts in here are meant to bring levity to an otherwise underwhelming final day, so idk, i wouldn't take it too seriously. nobody is shitting on his prowess; he is just insufferable to watch

I've been reading about him in a lot of threads, and they are all kind of blurring together... Some of the posts literally called him a "fat slob" and I'm like, is that really necessary?

I've been reading about him in a lot of threads, and they are all kind of blurring together... Some of the posts literally called him a "fat slob" and I'm like, is that really necessary?

yeah, that aint right.
and i actually hope he gets signed by the UFC and does well.
there was already a huge thread about aj being a shit-head. he should be the focus of any hate

Well that's just stupid. He's a big dude, but I'm sure he carries exactly the amount of weight he thinks he fights and trains best at. He's definitely not a slob, slobs don't go that many matches at ADCC without gassing. It's not like he used to be thin and got big, he's just a huge dude.

From what I've heard he's a great guy who has overcome a lot, so I'm not blaming him as a person ... and winning ADCC is a huge accomplishment. But his grappling is cancer.

this
no one is saying what he did wasn't impressive.. however his style of grappling is just so freaking boring.

Big difference between my opinion of him as a fan and as a practitioner. It's not like I would ever have a chance against someone like Orlando or any of the guys he competes against regularly. I don't deny his skill, just that he's not much fun to watch. BJJ (and MMA to a certain degree) tends to be the only sport where guys make the argument 'you couldn't beat him so you can't criticize his style'. That's retarded. I'm not criticizing his effectiveness but the aesthetics of it. I'm also not going to beat Jon Fitch in MMA, does that mean I can't say he's a boring fighter?

Though if you want to make a direct comparison, my personal BJJ style is a lot more interesting than Orlando's, probably to my detriment as I like to chase subs (especially leg attacks) when I probably shouldn't. As an amateur not making my living off BJJ I have the luxury of giving up some effectiveness for the sake of fun. And besides, you'll never get very far telling people they should like guys who seem to go into matches looking to score and stall rather than finish people. Of course everyone respects the win, but being really conservative just isn't entertaining.

Not that I disagree with the sentiment of your post, but I for one like watching fitch fitch people because he does it in MMA.

Watching someone lay and pray in grappling is just painful. It hurts the sport in my opinion

What this showed is that a significant fraction of grapplers today, even at the highest level, continue to have a glaring hole in their games that can be exploited by a guy with a good strategy.

Spot on. No one should have been surprised by him employing this style, which in a way validates his win. But i digress.

I too hate watching Orlando Sanchez compete.

But similar strategies have been successful in ADCC since the days of Mark Kerr in his prime. 15 years ago. It works. It wins. So guys are going to do it. Shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

Back