Obama renames (reverts) Mount McKinley, our highest mountain.

I can't make that bet quip. What is terrible to me is progress to you. The War Room has only one ripskater. And the war room would not be the same without me.

As I said, a signature bet is fine. And we can agree upon terms to determine what something 'terrible' entails if you have any sort of specifics...?

As I said, a signature bet is fine. And we can agree upon terms to determine what something 'terrible' entails if you have any sort of specifics...?

I don't see how you and I could agree on what's terrible for our country. It would be a useless bet. We would both believe we won the bet.

I am fine with it. The state of Alaska has been trying to do this for 30 years. I support states rights, glad to see others do also.

I do wish it would go through the proper channels though.

I don't see how you and I could agree on what's terrible for our country. It would be a useless bet. We would both believe we won the bet.
Use your words rip.

Can you even articulate what this "terrible awful" thing will be?

I'd assume he would have renamed it, "Lets pick and choose when we support states rights".

Use your words rip.

Can you even articulate what this "terrible awful" thing will be?

Obama does a lot of terrible things. Obamacare, telling lies, his endorsement of homosexuality, etc. I don't know what is coming next.

Personally, I think Denali is a much better name for a massive mountain. This is a superficial change that appeals to a largely subjugated class.

It illustrates the problem with our government pretty clearly though, this discussion. It's not the congress or the President, it's a nation of people who will go full tantrum in response to anything the federal government does. Nobody of any inherent talent or quality could possibly get elected by this mob, so how surprising is it that you have a do-nothing congress and a rule by decree executive?

Mt McKinley peak is named after an assassinated president. Which I did not know. I think it's kind of disrespectful honestly for Obama to change it.

One could argue that it was disrespectful to the natives in that area to rename it in the first place.

I saw this on the news and my first thought was that Sherdog would lose their lunch.

But it strikes me as a nonissue. I don't know who's harmed by this. I don't think it hurts America. I can't imagine that many people are personally affected by them.

Still I'm sure someone is outraged because a mountain they never thought of was renamed from a president they never think of to a word they'll never think of. :)

Wasn't practically everything in the US named something else at some point?

If you want to be consistent you'll have to rename the Hudson River Muh-he-kun-ne-tuk, Death Valley T

One could argue that it was disrespectful to the natives in that area to rename it in the first place.

Like their name is of such significance; "the high one" - the Russians did it first anyways.

And how many natives live in that area since u are so sensitive to their feelings? Ive been to Denali, its open wilderness. Alaska has 100,000 indigenous people and 20 different languages. I dont think all that many were worried about calling it the high one in their indigenous language.

I just did a search, population of Denali is 1,826.

Stop drinking the Obama kool aid. They were doing what was the accepted norm at the time. Calling them Indians wasnt racist. And im pretty sure our founding fathers werent the first ones here anyway.

Slavery has never ever been an "accepted norm" at any time. There is always a huge societal backlash to slavery during its practice whether in ancient Greece or early America.

Wasn't practically everything in the US named something else at some point?

If you want to be consistent you'll have to rename the Hudson River Muh-he-kun-ne-tuk, Death Valley T

Can't imagine anyone except locals calling it Denali. First time I've ever even heard that name.

Everyone in the mountaineering/climbing community calls in Denali. Anyone with a connection to mountain, at any rate. I think the only people who call it Mt. McKinley are the ones who memorized it as such in middle school.

I saw this on the news and my first thought was that Sherdog would lose their lunch.

But it strikes me as a nonissue. I don't know who's harmed by this. I don't think it hurts America. I can't imagine that many people are personally affected by them.

Still I'm sure someone is outraged because a mountain they never thought of was renamed from a president they never think of to a word they'll never think of. :)

People have never thought of Mt McKinley? Ive seen it with my own eyes (by driving many hours) and its one of the more popular things to do when u travel to Alaska, along with Denali the park. We should rename that too because why would a park the size of Massachusetts be called "the high one"? Thats as offensive as naming a mountain after a president who has since been assassinated

Back