Obama renames (reverts) Mount McKinley, our highest mountain.

Discussion in 'The War Room' started by clmetal, Aug 30, 2015.

1. clmetal

clmetal Iced Earth

From the name of a former president to Denali; the same name as the Massachusetts-sized park it's located in.

Let's not name anything after him, since the ground it's on must have had an indigenous name at some point.

2. lts5025

lts5025 "What the **** is a Dim Mack?"

Meh. I don't have a problem with this.

3. dontsnitch

dontsnitch Steel Belt

Don't ever say Obama never did anything, he renamed an entire mountain. A big one, too.

4. 2GunTommy

2GunTommy Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

Lets change the school curriculum to downplay the accomplishments of our founding fathers, calling them racists.
    Lets take presidents off of our currency and replace them with Harriet Tubman
    Lets take their names off mountains and give them American Indian names. ( i realize that was what the Indians called it)

I cant wait for this guy to be a distant memory. Along with all is policies.

5. IdahoCBR

IdahoCBR Blue Belt

Im fine with it. A good show of respect to the natives and their culture

6. JosephDredd

JosephDredd Gold Belt

The Daily Show (link) did a great piece on the Denali / McKinley debate on July 2. I can't view this video, but if you're in America you should be able to.

7. clmetal

clmetal Iced Earth

Let's rename everything; this had a Russian name too, we should ask them to apologize and scrub their history books.

I'm sure he views this as similar the Rhodeshias becoming Zambia and Zimbabwe. I'm also sure he views our purchase of that land as some sort of an evil form of Colonization that we need to apologize for.

McKinley was a president who was assassinated (although I think the mountain was name after him beforehand).

8. M3t4tr0n

M3t4tr0n Sheriff of Sherfront

I'm pretty sure several of our founding fathers owned slaves and were in fact racist.

9. 2GunTommy

Recent graduate of Obama University ?

Should we downplay their accomplishments because of that ? Are we to hold these men to the standards of today, or the standards of their day ?

Should you and i be judged by people in the future for things that we do today that are mostly accepted by society ?

10. ripskater

ripskater Guest

Mt McKinley peak is named after an assassinated president. Which I did not know. I think it's kind of disrespectful honestly for Obama to change it.

11. Shokushu Goukan

Shokushu Goukan Banned Banned

Unless it became Mt Obama via the same tradition.

12. clmetal

clmetal Iced Earth

So did many blacks in Africa who sold slaves (but I guess they can't be called racist, just slave owners). McKinley though didn't own slaves; he was assassinated and Russia had already renamed that mountain. I wonder how many indigenous Alaskans even live within view of Mt McKinley? Alaska only has 100g indigenous people.

And Hamilton is being replaced on the $10 bill by a woman, did he own slaves?

Why doesn't Obama go after the big dogs and just replace George Washington with a civil rights leader like Al Sharpton or Malcolm X?

13. A&R_Superstar

A&R_Superstar Blue Belt

Many if not all of them were racists. Some of them were stupid racists who knew about 10 min after they got here that they were not in India and called the natives Indians anyway. And more stupid racists continued their tradition of racist stupidity by teaching their children to call them Indians.

That said who cares what someone calls a mountain. Just something else for people to get mad at Obama over.

14. clmetal

clmetal Iced Earth

Actually the term came from Christopher Columbus who didn't know about the north american and south american continent. Yeah, they were so stupid! Everyone else in the world had a firm grasp of world geography at the time.

If you don't care what people call it, then why would it need to be officially renamed?

15. M3t4tr0n

Don't get mad bro just stating a fact is all ;).

16. 2GunTommy

Stop drinking the Obama kool aid. They were doing what was the accepted norm at the time. Calling them Indians wasnt racist. And im pretty sure our founding fathers werent the first ones here anyway.

The changes Obama has been making is an anti white establishment agenda. Its obvious if anyone is a racist its him. Answer me this. If this mountain was named after a famous black man do you think Obama would care so much about the Indians to change it ? I think not. And anyone without bias would agree.

17. M3t4tr0n

I guess McKinley was your favorite president?

18. ripskater

ripskater Guest

I'm not for assassinating Obama. But they should name a mountain in Kenya after him.

19. Canned Tuna

Canned Tuna Red Belt

You're a moron. To fault someone of that time for owning slaves or being racist would be like faulting someone from before the 1990s for being homophobic. It is unreasonable as it was a completely normal, acceptable way to be at the time.

20. clmetal

clmetal Iced Earth

I didn't say that. I just don't see Obama's need and the need of liberals to try rewrite history or change names. He already did that by saying Hamilton will be replaced by a woman on the $10

I don't see the need to rename something "the high one" in an indigenous language when it was already named for more than 100 years after a president.