Obama renames (reverts) Mount McKinley, our highest mountain.

People have never thought of Mt McKinley? Ive seen it with my own eyes (by driving many hours) and its one of the more popular things to do when u travel to Alaska, along with Denali the park. We should rename that too because why would a park the size of Massachusetts be called "the high one"? Thats as offensive as naming a mountain after a president who has since been assassinated

You're so eager to be offended that im not sure what to say to you.

How does changing the name harm anyone or anything? Who thinks of President McKinley, even when they're thinking about the specific mountain?

How exactly is this a blow to our society? We rename things all of the time.

Lets change the school curriculum to downplay the accomplishments of our founding fathers, calling them racists.
Lets take presidents off of our currency and replace them with Harriet Tubman
Lets take their names off mountains and give them American Indian names. ( i realize that was what the Indians called it)

I cant wait for this guy to be a distant memory. Along with all is policies.

nailed it. Liberalism is all about being ashamed

You're so eager to be offended that im not sure what to say to you.

How does changing the name harm anyone or anything? Who thinks of President McKinley, even when they're thinking about the specific mountain?

How exactly is this a blow to our society? We rename things all of the time.

Im sure for liberals, it will never end. Unless it was named after someone in the civil rights movement, it should be renamed.

This was named after a president, and now it gets a generic name in an indigenous language - I'd like to know how many people speak that language, probably not many if the state has 20 indigenous languages and the region has fewer thsn 2k people. And if fewer than 2k people live in that area, I have doubt indigenous people in other parts of the state refer to that mountain at all ehen tbey can't even see it.

Just silly, pc sensitivity bs

Im sure he'll be all for renaming things after himself (the hs my grandfather went to was renamed after Obama)

Im sure for liberals, it will never end. Unless it was named after someone in the civil rights movement, it should be renamed.

This was named after a president, and now it gets a generic name in an indigenous language - I'd like to know how many people speak that language, probably not many if the state has 20 indigenous languages and the region has fewer thsn 2k people. And if fewer than 2k people live in that area, I have doubt indigenous people in other parts of the state refer to that mountain at all ehen tbey can't even see it.

Im sure he'll be all for renaming things after himself (the hs my grandfather went to was renamed after Obama)

You seem to be the one who is a bit too sensitive here.

So not very many, then?

I'm not even sure that's true. The park (which is huge) is called Denali and I went there 15 years ago and got as close to the mountain as I could have (needed snowmobiles to get closer). I dont remember people referring to the park and the mountain by the same name.

It was named for sensitivity reasons. How would liberals react if hipsters took over areas and renamed MLK Blvd and the likes?

They would probably start by creating an internet thread about it.

It was named for sensitivity reasons. How would liberals react if hipsters took over areas and renamed MLK Blvd and the likes?
To clarify, you're not against renaming things in general, you're just against renaming something that was previously renamed?

I saw this on the news and my first thought was that Sherdog would lose their lunch.

But it strikes me as a nonissue. I don't know who's harmed by this. I don't think it hurts America. I can't imagine that many people are personally affected by them.

Still I'm sure someone is outraged because a mountain they never thought of was renamed from a president they never think of to a word they'll never think of. :)

It's just more ammunition for people who hate Obama. It fits the "he's ruining America" narrative. Classic confirmation bias.

Like their name is of such significance; "the high one" - the Russians did it first anyways.

And how many natives live in that area since u are so sensitive to their feelings? Ive been to Denali, its open wilderness. Alaska has 100,000 indigenous people and 20 different languages. I dont think all that many were worried about calling it the high one in their indigenous language.

I just did a search, population of Denali is 1,826.

You seem to have a lot invested in this, where as I don't care at all really. I merely pointed out that Rip said it was disrespectful to the assassinated president it was re-named after, and I merely flipped the coin back.

And I've been to the Yukon, NWT, and Nunavut... so what was your point in telling me you've been there?

To clarify, you're not against renaming things in general, you're just against renaming something that was previously renamed?

Let me guess, this is your gotcha question and you aren't looking for clarification. Waiting to reply about new york nenaming new amsferdam which ha some indigenous name before. Or you will will find something named after reagan and bring up its previous name.

I think this is silly and appeases the tiniest group, isn't really a hurtful situation, and is setting the stage for more of this (Hamilton is coming off the $10). I think obama views it as a case of american imperialism (even though we boufht alaska from russia). Kind of like him returning the Churchill bust to the UK, probably because Kenya was a British colony

the horror.........................the horror

Let me guess, this is your gotcha question and you aren't looking for clarification. Waiting to reply about new york nenaming new amsferdam which ha some indigenous name before. Or you will will find something named after reagan and bring up its previous name.

I think this is silly and appeases the tiniest group, isn't really a hurtful situation, and is setting the stage for more of this (Hamilton is coming off the $10). I think obama views it as a case of american imperialism (even though we boufht alaska from russia). Kind of like him returning the Churchill bust to the UK, probably because Kenya was a British colony

never admit defeat my friend,even if it punches you in the face

Recent graduate of Obama University ?

Should we downplay their accomplishments because of that ? Are we to hold these men to the standards of today, or the standards of their day ?

Should you and i be judged by people in the future for things that we do today that are mostly accepted by society ?

So it's cool that Muhammed Cosbied Aisha?

will you be crying crocodile tears when President Donald Trump renames everything named after Obama to Trump?

spare me the faux concern for honoring POTUS, because you will never show Obama any respect. I guarantee everyone complaining about this would have applauded Reagan if he did the same.

CNv3MbDWgAAfm1q.jpg

You seem to have a lot invested in this, where as I don't care at all really. I merely pointed out that Rip said it was disrespectful to the assassinated president it was re-named after, and I merely flipped the coin back.

And I've been to the Yukon, NWT, and Nunavut... so what was your point in telling me you've been there?

I didn't tell you that, so nice try. I said it to panamaerican since he said no one ever thinks about the mountain which is not true, people go there. Let me guess, you are canadian and you are telling me parts of northern canada you have been to. Now that's really pointless. Worry more about your history with your indigenous peoples than ours.

will you be crying crocodile tears when President Donald Trump renames everything named after Obama to Trump?

spare me the faux concern for honoring POTUS, because you will never show Obama any respect. I guarantee everyone complaining about this would have applauded Reagan if he did the same.

CNv3MbDWgAAfm1q.jpg

Oh no, i didnt respect his silly renaming nonsense. Now its called the high one, the same name as the park it is located in.

Trump renaming everything currently named after obama? That's a pathetic hypothetical, just pulling shot out of your ass.

People defend this as no big deal but obama who thinks the us is the most racist place in the world and is obsessed about the rights of every indigenous groul except the whites in europe.

Let's be serious. He's against Obama renaming anything or otherwise carrying out any of the duties of his office. There is no principle here.

never admit defeat my friend,even if it punches you in the face

Worry about your own country, starting world wars, the Holocaust and your new refugee population

Im glad your worried that a handful of indigenous called it the high one and obama is renaming it. Ironically, you said I "lost" when I resoonded to Dochter asking me a queztion. I knew he was setting some kind of trap and he hasn't replied

Back