1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »
Violence/Genocide: Do not condone violence or genocide on a person or group of people. You are free to attack a person or groups ideas but you are crossing the line when calling for violence. This will be heavily enforced in threads with breaking news involving victims.

Obama renames (reverts) Mount McKinley, our highest mountain.

Discussion in 'The War Room' started by clmetal, Aug 30, 2015.

1. panamaican Senior Moderator Staff Member Senior Moderator

You're so eager to be offended that im not sure what to say to you.

How does changing the name harm anyone or anything? Who thinks of President McKinley, even when they're thinking about the specific mountain?

How exactly is this a blow to our society? We rename things all of the time.

2. lfd0311 Pink Belt

nailed it. Liberalism is all about being ashamed

3. clmetal Iced Earth

Im sure for liberals, it will never end. Unless it was named after someone in the civil rights movement, it should be renamed.

This was named after a president, and now it gets a generic name in an indigenous language - I'd like to know how many people speak that language, probably not many if the state has 20 indigenous languages and the region has fewer thsn 2k people. And if fewer than 2k people live in that area, I have doubt indigenous people in other parts of the state refer to that mountain at all ehen tbey can't even see it.

Just silly, pc sensitivity bs

Im sure he'll be all for renaming things after himself (the hs my grandfather went to was renamed after Obama)

4. Losfer Words Brown Belt

You seem to be the one who is a bit too sensitive here.

5. Halge Silver Belt

So not very many, then?

6. clmetal Iced Earth

It was named for sensitivity reasons. How would liberals react if hipsters took over areas and renamed MLK Blvd and the likes?

7. clmetal Iced Earth

I'm not even sure that's true. The park (which is huge) is called Denali and I went there 15 years ago and got as close to the mountain as I could have (needed snowmobiles to get closer). I dont remember people referring to the park and the mountain by the same name.

8. Losfer Words Brown Belt

They would probably start by creating an internet thread about it.

9. UpaLoompa Grand Quasiprophet of the Sakaran Apocolyps

To clarify, you're not against renaming things in general, you're just against renaming something that was previously renamed?

10. DangDaGawd Tough Scene

It's just more ammunition for people who hate Obama. It fits the "he's ruining America" narrative. Classic confirmation bias.

11. 2DUM2TAP Silver Belt

On top of a Mountain punch dancing my rage away
    You seem to have a lot invested in this, where as I don't care at all really. I merely pointed out that Rip said it was disrespectful to the assassinated president it was re-named after, and I merely flipped the coin back.

And I've been to the Yukon, NWT, and Nunavut... so what was your point in telling me you've been there?

12. clmetal Iced Earth

Let me guess, this is your gotcha question and you aren't looking for clarification. Waiting to reply about new york nenaming new amsferdam which ha some indigenous name before. Or you will will find something named after reagan and bring up its previous name.

I think this is silly and appeases the tiniest group, isn't really a hurtful situation, and is setting the stage for more of this (Hamilton is coming off the $10). I think obama views it as a case of american imperialism (even though we boufht alaska from russia). Kind of like him returning the Churchill bust to the UK, probably because Kenya was a British colony

13. KOQ24 Gold Belt

the horror.........................the horror

14. KOQ24 Gold Belt

never admit defeat my friend,even if it punches you in the face

15. LionExMachina There are No Pacts between Lions and Sherdogs. Banned

So it's cool that Muhammed Cosbied Aisha?

16. bad seed Banned Banned

will you be crying crocodile tears when President Donald Trump renames everything named after Obama to Trump?

spare me the faux concern for honoring POTUS, because you will never show Obama any respect. I guarantee everyone complaining about this would have applauded Reagan if he did the same.

[​IMG]

17. clmetal Iced Earth

I didn't tell you that, so nice try. I said it to panamaerican since he said no one ever thinks about the mountain which is not true, people go there. Let me guess, you are canadian and you are telling me parts of northern canada you have been to. Now that's really pointless. Worry more about your history with your indigenous peoples than ours.

18. clmetal Iced Earth

Oh no, i didnt respect his silly renaming nonsense. Now its called the high one, the same name as the park it is located in.

Trump renaming everything currently named after obama? That's a pathetic hypothetical, just pulling shot out of your ass.

People defend this as no big deal but obama who thinks the us is the most racist place in the world and is obsessed about the rights of every indigenous groul except the whites in europe.

19. Jack V Savage Secretary of Keepin' It Real/Nicest Guy on Sherdog

Let's be serious. He's against Obama renaming anything or otherwise carrying out any of the duties of his office. There is no principle here.

20. clmetal Iced Earth

Worry about your own country, starting world wars, the Holocaust and your new refugee population

Im glad your worried that a handful of indigenous called it the high one and obama is renaming it. Ironically, you said I "lost" when I resoonded to Dochter asking me a queztion. I knew he was setting some kind of trap and he hasn't replied