Obama renames (reverts) Mount McKinley, our highest mountain.

I hear you. I just expect it now. Wait, there is more to come. Wait til he's in his last day in office. We haven't seen anything yet.

You keep announcing how Obama is going to do something terrible before his term is up. You seem pretty confident in that position. There's maybe a year left. Would you be willing to engage in a little bet along those lines? You win if the terrible thing comes to pass, and I win if it doesn't. Easy enough.

I doubt you'd be willing to do an account bet, so how about a signature bet? Either would be fine by me, though.

It shouldn't be too hard to hammer out terms that are acceptable to both of us.

I saw this on facebook early today. I guess it being named after a president wasn't good enough for him? I swear, 2016 can't come quickly enough

yeah I know, right! I'm sick of this centrist corporatist president too. Cant wait to #FeelTheBern!
You joining me in the next Sanders rally?

Well it was inserted in a thread that has nothing to do with slavery or our founding fathers - McKinley was neither.

And if that's how you feel, start a movement to get Washington off our dollar bills and our the names of elementary schools all over the country. It happens to not apply in this this case.

I've been to Denali, the place is huge. I doubt there are many indigenous there who are upset about it's name because I doubt many can even see it. Alaska is a gigantic place.

I picture the politically connected grievance leaders listing this as some bullshit grievance they have.

First I didn't bring racism into the thread. But I thought it would be one of those silly things that people would say "Obama hates America so he renamed a mountain". Some extreme position instead of people having reasonable discourse. It's never maybe he wanted to honor the indigenous people, no it's he hates America and is a race baiter. So by saying our founding fathers were flawed obviously means I want to take Washington off the money and have no one ever talk about him.

The Civil Rights movement is covered but slavery as it relates to the founding fathers isn't. Basically slavery isn't important until the Civil War, then there's a chapter on Jim Crow and then nothing until the Civil Rights movement.

Bingo

The state has been trying to get it renamed for over 40 years and at no point would you ever see or hear it referenced as anything but Denali.

Of all the things to get mad at BO for, this isn't one of them.

this is phony outrage right? this cant be legit?

The state has been trying to get it renamed for over 40 years and at no point would you ever see or hear it referenced as anything but Denali.

Why discuss the ethics of the collateral damage in the drone war in Pakistan when we can get outraged about the renaming of a mountain nobody remembered existed until now?

First I didn't bring racism into the thread. But I thought it would be one of those silly things that people would say "Obama hates America so he renamed a mountain". Some extreme position instead of people having reasonable discourse. It's never maybe he wanted to honor the indigenous people, no it's he hates America and is a race baiter. So by saying our founding fathers were flawed obviously means I want to take Washington off the money and have no one ever talk about him.

There's a lot of people who just want a reason to hate Obama I just can't always tell if it's because of his race, politics, or just fear of change. Whatever reason for the hate making a big deal over changing the name of a mountain is silly.

Why discuss the ethics of the collateral damage in the drone war in Pakistan when we can get outraged about the renaming of a mountain nobody remembered existed until now?

You are going to have to pick something else for me to get outraged about then killing assholes.

You are going to have to pick something else for me to get outraged about then killing assholes.

How about changing the name of mountains.

Every serious climber I know calls it Denali. I don't actually know anyone who calls it Mt. McKinley.

There are people who get mad at Obama over everything, including their genital warts.

That's why I mentioned collateral damage, as in people who weren't intended targets. I know Pakistan is a shitty place full of assholes but not everyone contained within its borders deserves to be vaporized by drones.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not necessarily saying its more bad than good but its a very complicated issue. We're routinely bombing a country we haven't declared war on and in the process killing hundreds of civilians. At the very least its more worthy of a thread and outrage than the renaming of a mountain that was unofficially already called Denali.

Every serious climber I know calls it Denali. I don't actually know anyone who calls it Mt. McKinley.

There are people who get mad at Obama over everything, including their genital warts.

Genital warts are serious business bro.

ITT we find out everyones favorite president was McKinley. Who knew he had such a rabid following.

inb4 "but its about respecting the office the president"
inb4 completely disrespecting and insulting Obama anyway because thats somehow ok

Lol, this.

Lets change the school curriculum to downplay the accomplishments of our founding fathers, calling them racists.
Lets take presidents off of our currency and replace them with Harriet Tubman
Lets take their names off mountains and give them American Indian names. ( i realize that was what the Indians called it)

I cant wait for this guy to be a distant memory. Along with all is policies.

are you one of those guys that hates when people bring up race/make things about race but does the same thing? yes, yes you are.

In the immortal words of "The Macho Man" Randy Savage:

Who gives a shit?

Back