Obama renames (reverts) Mount McKinley, our highest mountain.

ITT we find out everyones favorite president was McKinley. Who knew he had such a rabid following.

inb4 "but its about respecting the office the president"
inb4 completely disrespecting and insulting Obama anyway because thats somehow ok

lol perfect

I have a problem with this. What a fool

And yes its about respecting the office of President. I'd be furious if 5 presidents from now some President wants to rename something that was named after Obama. Personally I think we should name a monument somewhere in this country after Obama but that is for another thread.

Ugh, just another reason for the Hannity's/Limbaugh's/insert moronic right wing talk show host here, to try to drum up some false anger because OBAMA did it. Guess what? Points of interest, visitor centers, trails, and all kinds of other shit in National Parks have their names changed all the time. I love how people are making a big deal out of it because it's Mt. McKinley. Same god damn thing. Your manufactured outrage is so obvious it's sad.

Ugh, just another reason for the Hannity's/Limbaugh's/insert moronic right wing talk show host here, to try to drum up some false anger because OBAMA did it. Guess what? Points of interest, visitor centers, trails, and all kinds of other shit in National Parks have their names changed all the time. I love how people are making a big deal out of it because it's Mt. McKinley. Same god damn thing. Your manufactured outrage is so obvious it's sad.

The funny thing is, I'm going to have to sift through FB posts on my feed now about how this is all part of Obamas Plan to destroy America and turn everyone to Islam from the Conservatives in my Family...

For real... Thanks, Obama. :)

ZsSYwqw.gif

The funny thing is, I'm going to have to sift through FB posts on my feed now about how this is all part of Obamas Plan to destroy America and turn everyone to Islam from the Conservatives in my Family...

For real... Thanks, Obama. :)

Oh I know. I will be going through the same thing. My uncles were so cool before they signed up for a Facebook account...

So you guys have officially run out of things to whine about huh? Sorry to hear that.

Oh I know. I will be going through the same thing. My uncles were so cool before they signed up for a Facebook account...

Damn you right. It seems like all uncles tend to do this...

But anyways I don't see why we should be happy about this. I don't like the idea of removing the name of Presidents. To me its disrespectful

From what I understand the majority of the people in Alaska , where the mountain is wanted to change the name.

So I don't have a problem with this.

Good. It was wildly disrespectful to the natives who lived there to name it after a man who had never actually been there.

Guy wasn't even dead when it was named after him. And it had other non-native names before that.
The Koyukon Athabaskan people who inhabit the area around the mountain refer to the peak as Dinale or Denali. The name is based on a Koyukon word for "high" or "tall".[18] During the Russian ownership of Alaska, the common name for the mountain was Bolshaya Gora (Russian: Большая Гора, bolshaya = Russian for big; gora = Russian for mountain), which is the Russian translation of Denali.[19] It was briefly called Densmore's Mountain in the late 1880s and early 1890s[20] after Frank Densmore, an Alaskan prospector who was the first European to reach the base of the mountain.

In 1896, a gold prospector named it McKinley as political support for then-presidential candidate William McKinley, who became president the following year. The United States formally recognized the name Mount McKinley after President Wilson signed the Mount McKinley National Park Act of February 26, 1917.[22] The Alaska Board of Geographic Names changed the name of the mountain to Denali, which is how it is referred to locally.

dpw42iW.jpg

Good. It was wildly disrespectful to the natives who lived there to name it after a man who had never actually been there.

Quit being so PC.

Being offended on behalf of the legacy of McKinley is righteous indignation. Being offended on the behalf of indigenous people, OTOH, is liberal hippie PC bullshit.

unlike the decades of harmony before him???

I grew up in various ethnically diverse and poor neighborhoods, and it was MUCH much worse in the 80's and 90's. Everything seems esacalated now because of social media and ubiquity of video on phones.

Real life on the streets has never been safer. The instances where tension really is elevated is only due to more presence of media and cameras in "racially sensitive" situations, ie Ferguson.

I wish you'd stop fearmongering in every post about how America is facing "dark times" and how Russia is dangerous, the economy is crashing, God is flooding the world, etc etc.

The Leave it to Beaver world you long for is dead, and its never coming back. And the world is better for it. Obama can rename the entire state of Alaska Denali for all I care. We were at the brink of a true non-imaginary global catastrophe when the value of everyones mortgages turned to dust in 08. And you give no thank yous to Obama for averting disaster?
[YT]wOtGr1JFCnE[/YT]

[YT]ettl3zfLWus[/YT]

My apologies to Dr. Martin Luther King JR for being put in this video.

Lets change the school curriculum to downplay the accomplishments of our founding fathers, calling them racists.
Lets take presidents off of our currency and replace them with Harriet Tubman
Lets take their names off mountains and give them American Indian names. ( i realize that was what the Indians called it)

Solid ideas. They have my support.

The founding fathers realized themselves that slavery was wrong. Jefferson wrote about it at length. So, yeah, if you owned slaves, you were immoral even by the standards and values of the day, and shouldn't be venerated or put on money.

Tubman, on the other hand, was a true hero.

Dear Morons, this isn't a partisan issue - a sizable majority of Alaskans want the mountain renamed. It's named after an Ohio President afterall, and attempts have been made in the past to revert it back to it's native name but it was always blocked by Ohioans in Congress. Murkowski sponsored a recent bill to have it renamed. Hell, I think even Sarah Palin is on record wanting it renamed, or in the very least referring to it as Denali, as most Alaskans already do, not Mt. McKinley.

Yes we can.
Hi Rip. I see you missed my bet offer. I've reposted it on this page so you can respond.

I hear you. I just expect it now. Wait, there is more to come. Wait til he's in his last day in office. We haven't seen anything yet.

You keep announcing how Obama is going to do something terrible before his term is up. You seem pretty confident in that position. There's maybe a year left. Would you be willing to engage in a little bet along those lines? You win if the terrible thing comes to pass, and I win if it doesn't. Easy enough.

I doubt you'd be willing to do an account bet, so how about a signature bet? Either would be fine by me, though.

It shouldn't be too hard to hammer out terms that are acceptable to both of us.

Hi Rip. I see you missed my bet offer. I've reposted it on this page so you can respond.

You keep announcing how Obama is going to do something terrible before his term is up. You seem pretty confident in that position. There's maybe a year left. Would you be willing to engage in a little bet along those lines? You win if the terrible thing comes to pass, and I win if it doesn't. Easy enough.

I doubt you'd be willing to do an account bet, so how about a signature bet? Either would be fine by me, though.

It shouldn't be too hard to hammer out terms that are acceptable to both of us.

I can't make that bet quip. What is terrible to me is progress to you. The War Room has only one ripskater. And the war room would not be the same without me.

Dear Morons, this isn't a partisan issue - a sizable majority of Alaskans want the mountain renamed. It's named after an Ohio President afterall, and attempts have been made in the past to revert it back to it's native name but it was always blocked by Ohioans in Congress. Murkowski sponsored a recent bill to have it renamed. Hell, I think even Sarah Palin is on record wanting it renamed, or in the very least referring to it as Denali, as most Alaskans already do, not Mt. McKinley.

Get real. Obama tying his shoelaces is indicative of a liberal agenda.

Back