Obama renames (reverts) Mount McKinley, our highest mountain.

I didn't say that. I just don't see Obama's need and the need of liberals to try rewrite history or change names. He already did that by saying Hamilton will be replaced by a woman on the $10

I don't see the need to rename something "the high one" in an indigenous language when it was already named for more than 100 years after a president.

It's been obvious for a long time that Obama really dislikes the traditions of the USA. Especially white, conservative, Christian traditional America. It is also rumored that Michelle is a very racist woman toward whites. Obama's purpose was to divide America. And he has done that very well. Racial tension seems very high in the media/news right now.

You're a moron. To fault someone of that time for owning slaves or being racist would be like faulting someone from before the 1990s for being homophobic. It is unreasonable as it was a completely normal, acceptable way to be at the time.

Lol he's a moron for not being cool with racist and slave owners just because it was "ok" back in the day? So in 1989 it was perfectly okay to hate gay people?

You're a moron. To fault someone of that time for owning slaves or being racist would be like faulting someone from before the 1990s for being homophobic. It is unreasonable as it was a completely normal, acceptable way to be at the time.

I'm a moron for faulting men, who were most likey Christians, for owning slaves because it was "acceptable at the time"? Get the f*ck outta here. And yes I don't like homophobes from the 90s either.

What about Germany during and leading up to WWll? I guess that was ok cause it was just their time period.

It's been obvious for a long time that Obama really dislikes the traditions of the USA. Especially white, conservative, Christian traditional America. It is also rumored that Michelle is a very racist woman toward whites. Obama's purpose was to divide America. And he has done that very well. Racial tension seems very high in the media/news right now.

Definitely. Despises them.

You can also see it the happenings he/they comment on. Like how it took days of complaining before he lowered the white house flag for the marines killed in Chatanooga but he'll comment on Trayvon and Michael Brown and Gates the Harvard professor.

Bring back our girls but never a comment about Christians being driven out of the middle east.

And Michelle always talks about racism in this country and her experience where instead she was the product of affirmative action; from the HS she attended to Princeton to that cushy, overpaid $300g hospital job she had

Definitely. Despises them.

You can also see it the happenings he/they comment on. Like how it took days of complaining before he lowered the white house flag for the marines killed in Chatanooga but he'll comment on Trayvon and Michael Brown and Gates the Harvard professor.

Bring back our girls but never a comment about Christians being driven out of the middle east.

And Michelle always talks about racism in this country and her experience where instead she was the product of affirmative action; from the HS she attended to Princeton to that cushy, overpaid $300g hospital job she had

I hear you. I just expect it now. Wait, there is more to come. Wait til he's in his last day in office. We haven't seen anything yet.

I'm a moron for faulting men, who were most likey Christians, for owning slaves because it was "acceptable at the time"? Get the f*ck outta here. And yes I don't like homophobes from the 90s either.

the abolitionists who ended slavery in american and the british empire were christians. But hey, they are reaping the benefits of their ancestors and doing bare minimum with it.

I didn't say that. I just don't see Obama's need and the need of liberals to try rewrite history or change names. He already did that by saying Hamilton will be replaced by a woman on the $10

I don't see the need to rename something "the high one" in an indigenous language when it was already named for more than 100 years after a president.

Acknowledging some of the founding fathers slave ownership and racism in school texts is not rewriting history it is teaching it so perhaps the same mistakes are not repeated.

Muslims and blacks in Africa were also involved in the slave trade.

Why not comment on slavery today? Who owns them, where, the color of their skin and the religions they most likely practice?

Unless you were really just trying to make some anti-white political point that really has nothing to do with McKinley or your concern about slavery anyways.

The Global Slavery Index, published by the Australia-based Walk Free Foundation, lists India as the country with by far the most slaves, with an estimated nearly 14 million, followed by China (2.9 million) and Pakistan (2.1 million).

The top 10 countries on its list of shame accounted for more than three quarters of the 29.8 million people living in slavery, with Nigeria, Ethiopia, Russia, Thailand, Democratic Republic of Congo, Myanmar and Bangladesh completing the list.

In terms of countries with the highest of proportion of slaves, Mauritania in West Africa topped the table, with about 4% of its 3.4 million people enslaved, followed by Haiti, Pakistan, India and Nepal.

Acknowledging some of the founding fathers slave ownership and racism in school texts is not rewriting history it is teaching it so perhaps the same mistakes are not repeated.

We've done that. Do you really think the civil rights movement hasn't been incorporated into our history books yet? That what you are saying has been hidden from students in public schools?

And is all this sensitivity helping race relations or making them worse? I think we are more likely to end up with another Vester Flanagan who sees race in everything and views himself as a victim who needs to fight back.

Muslims and blacks in Africa were also involved in the slave trade.

Why not comment on slavery today? Who owns them, where, the color of their skin and the religions they most likely practice?

Unless you were really just trying to make some anti-white political point that really has nothing to do with McKinley or your concern about slavery anyways.

Yes all people who own slaves are equally awful. But I'd bet no country who owns slaves are founded on the principle that "all men are created equal". By the way I'm a white catholic guy from New York. So I dont hate white or religious people. I just hate racist hypocrites and people who refuse to acknowledge that our founding fathers were flawed men.

We've done that. Do you really think the civil rights movement hasn't been incorporated into our history books yet? That what you are saying has been hidden from students in public schools?

And is all this sensitivity helping race relations or making them worse? I think we are more likely to end up with another Vester Flanagan who sees race in everything and views himself as a victim who needs to fight back.

I was just talking about how mentioning in school books how some of the founding fathers were racist and owned slaves is not rewriting history.

Yes all people who own slaves are equally awful. But I'd bet no country who owns slaves are founded on the principle that "all men are created equal". By the way I'm a white catholic guy from New York. So I dont hate white or religious people. I just hate racist hypocrites and people who refuse to acknowledge that our founding fathers were flawed men.

Well it was inserted in a thread that has nothing to do with slavery or our founding fathers - McKinley was neither.

And if that's how you feel, start a movement to get Washington off our dollar bills and our the names of elementary schools all over the country. It happens to not apply in this this case.

I've been to Denali, the place is huge. I doubt there are many indigenous there who are upset about it's name because I doubt many can even see it. Alaska is a gigantic place.

I picture the politically connected grievance leaders listing this as some bullshit grievance they have.

I was just talking about how mentioning in school books how some of the founding fathers were racist and owned slaves is not rewriting history.

Believe me, it's there. Do you have a kid in public school? They study the civil rights movement as much as any other subject.

the abolitionists who ended slavery in american and the british empire were christians. But hey, they are reaping the benefits of their ancestors and doing bare minimum with it.

So can we agree that the evils of slavery wasn't something everyone was blind to as evidenced by these abolitionists?

As far as the mountain being renamed, who cares? Every other thing in this country is named after a dead president, what's the big deal if a mountain gets renamed?

unlike the decades of harmony before him???

I grew up in various ethnically diverse and poor neighborhoods, and it was MUCH much worse in the 80's and 90's. Everything seems esacalated now because of social media and ubiquity of video on phones.

Real life on the streets has never been safer. The instances where tension really is elevated is only due to more presence of media and cameras in "racially sensitive" situations, ie Ferguson.

I wish you'd stop fearmongering in every post about how America is facing "dark times" and how Russia is dangerous, the economy is crashing, God is flooding the world, etc etc.

The Leave it to Beaver world you long for is dead, and its never coming back. And the world is better for it. Obama can rename the entire state of Alaska Denali for all I care. We were at the brink of a true non-imaginary global catastrophe when the value of everyones mortgages turned to dust in 08. And you give no thank yous to Obama for averting disaster?

Believe me, it's there. Do you have a kid in public school? They study the civil rights movement as much as any other subject.

The Civil Rights movement is covered but slavery as it relates to the founding fathers isn't. Basically slavery isn't important until the Civil War, then there's a chapter on Jim Crow and then nothing until the Civil Rights movement.

ITT we find out everyones favorite president was McKinley. Who knew he had such a rabid following.

inb4 "but its about respecting the office the president"
inb4 completely disrespecting and insulting Obama anyway because thats somehow ok

I saw this on facebook early today. I guess it being named after a president wasn't good enough for him? I swear, 2016 can't come quickly enough

Back