My ADD Training Log 2013

Awesome writeup and vid. Good job in grinding that bench! Thanks for sharing.

Although the write up answered most of my questions I had the use of metric and English measures of weight at the same time is not acceptable. But due to the incredibly graphic nature of last "medisappointed.JPEG" I will instead post this

deletemeusumanabitZer0.jpg

9 for 9 with PRs in all lifts is outstanding, congrats!

1/15/2013

BW: 216.8

Day 1 of new programming. Working on Speed & Explosiveness.

Box Jumps
(warmup)
3x24"
3x24"
3x24"
3x30"

Box Jumps with 25-lb DB's
6 x 3 x 30"

Squats
5x135
5x185
5x225
3x275
3x315
3x345

Speed Squats (1 min rest between sets)
5 x 4 x 255

Narrow Stance Pause Squat (7 Second Pause)
3 x 5 x 175

Paused Bench Press (1 min rest between sets)
5x135
5x155
5x185

Incline Sit Ups
3 x 15 x BW

Really enjoyed today's workout. Box jumps with 25-lb DBs were awkward. Squats felt a little heavy-ish, but that's to be expected since I'm just coming off a meet.

Speed squats were really tough. Chad Wesley Smith said try to get each rep done in 1 second...that's TOUGH to do. Pause squats were challenging as well, mostly from a breathing perspective, but I liked them. Here's Chad Wesley Smith's vid on the squat variations:

Last edited:
Thought I'd make a couple of notes regarding things I've learned from my 2 powerlifting competitions. These are probably all super obvious to anyone who's been lifting for a while, but were things I didn't know:

FIRST PL COMP:
1) For deadlift, baby powder on the legs, not chalk

3) squeeze your ass, lock your knees at the top of the deadlift. In many cases newbies (like me) lean back at the top to "lock out". When you do this, your knees bend & you get redlighted. Just squeeze everything tight & you're good.

2ND PL COMP:
3) You wrap wrist wraps OVER your wrist, not under. If you wrap under, then the thumb strap is in your palm, and can touch the bar, which is illegal. Wrap it over your hand, and its on the back of your hand. Yes, you have to take it off your thumb.

4) Squeeze your upper back together super TIGHT on every lift. Squat,. bench, deadlift. On deadlift I was using the cue of "big chest" & "chest up". This is not the same as squeezing my lats together HARD. Squeezing my lats together TIGHT before the pull added weight to my deadlift. I figured this one out 2 weeks before the comp.

5) Give yourself a little extra time to warm up for squats. A little less time to warm up for bench. I under-shot & over-shot those 2 at the meet. Warming too early is not as big of an issue as not giving yourself quite enough time.

I'm sure there's more, just can't think of anything else now.

Great work on the competition calvus and congrats on all the PRs
Awesome job!

Thanks for sharing the Chad Wesley Smith vid. I've been wanting to add paused squats in my routine but just didn't know how to go about it. It'll be interesting to see your results after this programming.

Just curious, what program will you be using for bench and deadlift?

Thanks for sharing the Chad Wesley Smith vid. I've been wanting to add paused squats in my routine but just didn't know how to go about it. It'll be interesting to see your results after this programming.

Just curious, what program will you be using for bench and deadlift?

For bench, deadlift & OHP, I'm basically doing 5/3/1 - but I added some wrinkles. Here's what I'm planning:

Squat Day
- The program you saw today
- 3x5 Bench @ deload %

Deadlift Day:
- Deadlift 3/5/1 Rhodes progression with singles
- Speed deads 3x3
- Deficit deads 3x3

Bench Day:
- Bench 5/3/1
- SOHP 3x5 with reverse bands - working on speed
- Rows or something

Push Press Day:
- Push Press 3/5/1 Rhodes with singles
- Pullups
- maybe something else - squats if I didn't do it on bench day...

Planning on 3 days per week + an extra BB day when I can fit it in

1/15/2013

BJJ - 1.5 Hours

Grappling today sucked. Just got my ass handed to me by everyone on the mat. Fuck. I think I'm still a little tired & sore from the meet on Saturday, plus I had a really intense squat workout before BJJ. But fuck me there are days when I'd like to return the purple belt because it obviously doesn't fit.

1/16/2013

BJJ
- 2 Hour Seminar with Rigan Machado

Great seminar tonight, we learned 4 techniques when your opponent is sitting. Lots of drilling.

Thought I'd make a couple of notes regarding things I've learned from my 2 powerlifting competitions. These are probably all super obvious to anyone who's been lifting for a while, but were things I didn't know:

FIRST PL COMP:
1) For deadlift, baby powder on the legs, not chalk

3) squeeze your ass, lock your knees at the top of the deadlift. In many cases newbies (like me) lean back at the top to "lock out". When you do this, your knees bend & you get redlighted. Just squeeze everything tight & you're good.

2ND PL COMP:
3) You wrap wrist wraps OVER your wrist, not under. If you wrap under, then the thumb strap is in your palm, and can touch the bar, which is illegal. Wrap it over your hand, and its on the back of your hand. Yes, you have to take it off your thumb.

4) Squeeze your upper back together super TIGHT on every lift. Squat,. bench, deadlift. On deadlift I was using the cue of "big chest" & "chest up". This is not the same as squeezing my lats together HARD. Squeezing my lats together TIGHT before the pull added weight to my deadlift. I figured this one out 2 weeks before the comp.

5) Give yourself a little extra time to warm up for squats. A little less time to warm up for bench. I under-shot & over-shot those 2 at the meet. Warming too early is not as big of an issue as not giving yourself quite enough time.

I'm sure there's more, just can't think of anything else now.

Get pictures of the trophy girls or at least a hot chick in the crowd

I'm a bit late to the party, but congratulations on the meet calvus! Really nice work, you must be chuffed.

1/17/2013

BW: 214.4

Sumo Deadlift
(trying something new)
5x135
5x135
5x225
3x315

Deadlft (because fuck sumo)
3x355
3x405
1x455
1x455
1x455

Speed DL with Mini Bands
3x225
3x225
3x225
3x225
3x225

Deficit Deadlifts
3x225
3x275
3x315

Good workout today. Seriously sore from Tuesday's squats, but I'm liking my new deadlift programming. Wanted to play around with Sumo today, but I really don't think I like it. It just felt weird. And slow. Conventional deadlift felt pretty good. Today was the first time I've tried deadlifts with bands. I just took one of my red mini long bands, draped it over the bar & stood on it. Worked out really well. And I really liked how the speed deadlifts felt with the bands. Very happy with that. Also the first time I've tried deficit deads. I stood on a 45-lb plate. These are going to be good for me as well, I think.

1/16/2013

BJJ
- 2 Hour Seminar with Rigan Machado

Great seminar tonight, we learned 4 techniques when your opponent is sitting. Lots of drilling.

Group Photo from the seminar. I'm 3rd from the right, back row :)

227786_450143731706457_109507434_n.jpg

Back