My ADD Training Log 2013

1/4/2012

BW: 216.6

BJJ - 1 Hour

Worked a couple of sweeps from closed guard today. I've seen them before, but don't ever really use them. I don't know what they're called. First one you work to get your opponents arm across your midline and secure the arm with your same side arm (so your left arm, opponents right arm). Escape hips to the left, grab opponents gi pants with your right hand, push with your right leg high, pull the arm, lift the leg for the sweep. The second one was similar, but you stick your right arm under opponents leg. keys are get the guy high on your chest, and go over your shoulder with the sweep, not straight sideways.

Worked open guard in specific training today, learned some small things for playing guard as well as passing. Every little bit helps. Played with DLR a bit today - actually might start using this some. Also used my open guard once to tsand up & attempt a double leg. My opponent defended the double leg & I immediately transitioned to a single & got the takedown. That was pretty cool, I was happy I tried something different & strung a couple of takedowns together.

My lower back is pretty tight right now. Most likely from deadlifts on Wednesday. I plan on benching tomorrow, then a light week next week before the PL meet.

Way to go calvus. Hope you get some great results in the contests this year

I've been doing basic 5/3/1 for the last 6 months for deadlift but really focusing on squats, to be honest. I'm going to make some changes soon to my deadlift programming, but haven't decided what exactly. I want more volume, so either 5/3/1 + singles or speed DLs or deficits.... OR I'll do some type of more direct progression.

Sorry, just seeing your response now. Have you ever tried the Surovetsky Deadlift program? It's helped my deadlift progress a lot recently.

Here's a link
http://benchpressprograms.blogspot.com/2011/12/surovetsky-deadlift-program.html

Just coming over from the discussion of APRE in LZD's log... I was thinking "we ought to get one of these strong guys to do APRE" and now here's you thinking about new DL programming...

It could be a good choice for you. In some ways it is similar to 5/3/1- you can think of it as the warmup, a couple of submaximal sets and then two AMRAP sets instead of one, and obviously it has more volume. It allows a more agressive progression, if you can take it, because if you do well with the first AMRAP set the second one is heavier, and if you hit the prescribed reps on the second, you immediately increase your working max (so you can have session by session progression). The whole auto-regulation thing is very nice, too- I think very useful for people who have other training demands.

/trying to experiment on Calvus

I think I've settled on what I'd like to do, but I'll read up on APRE. Started reading LZD's link earlier today actually :)

I appreciate the suggestion.

I think I've settled on what I'd like to do, but I'll read up on APRE. Started reading LZD's link earlier today actually :)

I appreciate the suggestion.

Dammit, I am going to have to find a guineapig elsewhere.

I posted about it here, too:

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f13/i...ns-after-prolonged-injury-2126301/index2.html

Just in case the chart isn't clear: say you are working the 3RM range, and your current 3RM is 150kg. You do the first AMRAP set, and you actually get 5 reps. So now you do the second AMRAP set, but at 155kg. (And if you manage 3 reps or more, you can use 155kg as your 3RM next time.) People need to make their own charts, though, telling them how much to add or take away for different levels of killing it (or being killed by it).

I think it is worth knowing about, if only as another tool in the toolkit. It is so simple and flexible. and it fits into multi-day templates very easily. You can easily build different periodizations with it too- you can do a weekly type programme like with, say, 6RM day on Monday and 3RM day on Friday, or a block periodization- a month on 10RM, a month on 6RM, a month on 3RM. I use it for a few of my assistance lifts, like chins, because it is so simple- no tables, percentages, or anything: just two AMRAP sets, if you do well in the first, add a little weight, if you kill it, add more weight. Rinse, repeat.

Dammit, I am going to have to find a guineapig elsewhere.

I posted about it here, too:

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f13/i...ns-after-prolonged-injury-2126301/index2.html

Just in case the chart isn't clear: say you are working the 3RM range, and your current 3RM is 150kg. You do the first AMRAP set, and you actually get 5 reps. So now you do the second AMRAP set, but at 155kg. (And if you manage 3 reps or more, you can use 155kg as your 3RM next time.) People need to make their own charts, though, telling them how much to add or take away for different levels of killing it (or being killed by it).

I think it is worth knowing about, if only as another tool in the toolkit. It is so simple and flexible. and it fits into multi-day templates very easily. You can easily build different periodizations with it too- you can do a weekly type programme like with, say, 6RM day on Monday and 3RM day on Friday, or a block periodization- a month on 10RM, a month on 6RM, a month on 3RM. I use it for a few of my assistance lifts, like chins, because it is so simple- no tables, percentages, or anything: just two AMRAP sets, if you do well in the first, add a little weight, if you kill it, add more weight. Rinse, repeat.

Very cool. Love your charts.

I will consider trying this for push press. Let me continue researching for a bit. I'm not sure I want to do it for deadlift however; I feel like the progression would be weird & I don't really like to do high-rep deads - not to mention multiple AMRAP sets.

Very cool. Love your charts.

I will consider trying this for push press. Let me continue researching for a bit. I'm not sure I want to do it for deadlift however; I feel like the progression would be weird & I don't really like to do high-rep deads - not to mention multiple AMRAP sets.

Yeah, if you don't like AMRAP and higher rep for DL, definitely you want to stay clear. I thought you enjoyed and got good results from 5/3/1 for your DL, which is why I suggested it. But I stopped using it for my DL for exactly that reason.

It would be interesting to see you do it with PP. As I say, you may find you want to tweak the tables. You have to try them a few times and see what makes sense for you.

Last edited:
Yeah, if you don't like AMRAP and higher rep for DL, definitely you want to stay clear. I thought you enjoyed and got good results from 5/3/1 for your DL, which is why I suggested it. But I stopped using it for my DL for exactly that reason.

It would be interesting to see you do it with PP. As I say, you may find you want to tweak the tables. You have to try them a few times and see what makes sense for you.

Yep, really well-written article. I enjoyed it. Still processing the information...

Welcome to the logs, it is nice to meet you.

Hah. Thanks for stopping by.

Yep, I've run this before, with good results as well.

In other news....I guess I got beat up a bit at BJJ on Friday. I knew my back was bothering me a bit Friday night, but I get up Saturday morning and there's a huge bruise on my right hip & I think I have some minor bruised ribs on the left side as well. Damn. So taking it easy this weekend. Light week next week anyway, prepping for the meet on Saturday. Hope my ribs heal by then.

1/6/2013

MORE PROGRAMMING NOTES

So I think I've settled on how I'm doing programming over the next 3-6 months. My goal is to increase speed & explosiveness, which should help with all my hobbies across the board.

LIFTING
Squats: For squats I'm following this: An explosive squat is a bigger squat

Deads: I'm going to start with 5/3/1 for powerlifters so I get some singles in, and I'll pull these sumo, which will be new for me. I suspect I may like pulling Sumo, but won't know until I try. After that, I'm going to do a 3x3 or a 5x3 of speed deadlifts (conventional), with short breaks to increase speed & work capacity. Next will be 2" deficit deads (conventional) 3x3 or 5x3 to help with my speed off the floor. I'm going to try to get in some extra upper back work on another training day when I can.

Bench Press: I'm switching from Paused, back to Touch-n-Go, since I don't have a PL meet coming anytime soon. I'll be following a basic 5/3/1 protocol, with backoff sets occasionally. This will also let me move more weight & work on my speed. I'm going to continue benching twice a week, I plan on paused bench for the "light" day.

Overhead Press: I'm switching from SOHP to Push Press. Again, to focus on speed & explosiveness. I also think Push Press will have more carry-over to Highland Games. I'll follow a 5/3/1 + singles protocol for these. I'll also have a 2nd, lighter day where I do SOHP, possibly with bands for 3-5 sets.

I'm planning on sticking to 3 days a week, with an extra day for the gunz thrown in occasionally.

BJJ
Really going to try to train 3-5 times a week. This will take priority over lifting when there's a conflict.

Scottish Highland Games
This is the lowest priority, but its really fun. I'll ramp HG training up as I get closer to the competitions.

OTHER
I will also be adding some sprinting, jumping & plyos (bounding) each week. This is just really fun & I think its good for me as well.

May start doing some conditioning soon as well. Morning runs & such...

Interesting squat programme. It's notable that the volume of heavy squats is not that high. And the progression is relatively conservative- going from 3 reps at 80pc to 1 rep at 105pc. It almost looks like he is having you build your heavy squat by doing close to maintenance level of heavy squatting while training other properties.

Will be very interesting to follow. And you should do a write-up in the main forum when you are done.

Interesting squat programme. It's notable that the volume of heavy squats is not that high. And the progression is relatively conservative- going from 3 reps at 80pc to 1 rep at 105pc. It almost looks like he is having you build your heavy squat by doing close to maintenance level of heavy squatting while training other properties.

Will be very interesting to follow. And you should do a write-up in the main forum when you are done.

I agree, but in the end it looks like I could add 25 lbs or more to my squat in 13 weeks. That's about what I did all of last year. So I'd be pretty happy with that.

1/7/2013

BW: 217.6

Last "heavy" workout before Camp Pendleton PL Meet

Squats

5x135
5x135
5x185
5x225
5x275

Paused Bench Press
5x95
5x135
5x155
3x185
2x205
1x225
1x245
1x265

Everything felt quick & powerful today. Just did warm-up sets with squats up to about 65%. I worked up to my planned opener on bench, took extra long (2-3 sec) pauses on all reps. 265 was easy.

Here are my planned lifts for Saturday:

Squat: 385, 419, 440
Bench: 264, 286, 292
Deadlift: 440, 479, 496

If I go 6 for 9 & hit all my 2nd lifts, I'll improve my total from the last meet (1158->1183). If I go 9 for 9, I'll hit a big PR in each lift and total over 1200.

Looking forward to the meet on Saturday.

Race to 500 Deadlift?? I pulled 475 back on Dec 29. Extra incentive, on top of the team comp.

Best of luck with your meet!

Back