Mousasi vs Gustaffson

I also like Mousasi vs Shogun

I think Vera would get beat up bad

Gus' standup is superior to Mousasi's.

Well, he has superior reach...

To stay on topic: Would be a great fight to watch, it could go either way, but Mousasi should really be tested against a strong wrestler and, yes, he should fight at MW.

I hope they'll put Gus on the 159 card, so that he can fight Jones, if Chael pulls out.

I don't think this fight makes sense at all, give Mousasi a guy like Shogun or Vera when he debuts, Gus is probably #2-#3 LHW in the UFC right now, Gegard shouldn't be able to just come in and jump up the rankings like that.

I mean really, the last real opponent he fought was in 2010 against King Mo, and he lost. Sure, he has a nice little streak going right now, but none of those wins warrant a jump that far up the ladder.

Don't get me wrong, I love Mousasi and can't wait to see what he does in the UFC. But Gustafsson is too high up the ladder right now.

you just explained why we see so few top 10 v top 10 matches. it's very difficult to sign top fighters against top fighters without the belt on the line when each fighter is demanding a win/win situation. which is why i cannot wait for Cowboy v Pettis & Hendo v Machida. since we get about 2 fights like this per year, no wonder i am looking forward to them.

I think most fighters would settle for a win/lose situation like Alex did when he committed to fight a top 5 guy before he gets the title shot even though he didn't have to. Win/lose is at least winnable.

The problem is all these beer drinking, fat fools from the states flooding the sport with unrealistic expectations and essentially making a bunch of interesting fights lose/lose thanks to their brain dead couch warrior mentality where 2 or 3 guys max in each division are decent and the rest of them suck.

Take Shogun for instance. He BEAT a Vera who was very game on the night but somehow the horde of american WWE fans diluted that WIN to something negative because he should've just rushed in there and KOed him within 10 seconds or something similarly stupid and highly unrealistic. Even reading american MMA media you get the same level of stupidity. This retarded attitude is what's killing the sport and making fighters hesitant to fight someone below their ranking. These fucktards will lynch you if you win and lynch you if you lose so of course fighters are being forced to be smarter with who they fight...

Not saying all americans are like this or it's a exclusively american phenomena of fucktardness, but overall there's a different attitude abroad from both media and fans in how you weigh and respect a fighter's accomplishments and most of all skill level.

I think most fighters would settle for a win/lose situation like Alex did when he committed to fight a top 5 guy before he gets the title shot even though he didn't have to. Win/lose is at least winnable.

The problem is all these beer drinking, fat fools from the states flooding the sport with unrealistic expectations and essentially making a bunch of interesting fights lose/lose thanks to their brain dead couch warrior mentality where 2 or 3 guys max in each division are decent and the rest of them suck.

Take Shogun for instance. He BEAT a Vera who was very game on the night but somehow the horde of american WWE fans diluted that WIN to something negative because he should've just rushed in there and KOed him within 10 seconds or something similarly stupid and highly unrealistic. Even reading american MMA media you get the same level of stupidity. This retarded attitude is what's killing the sport and making fighters hesitant to fight someone below their ranking. These fucktards will lynch you if you win and lynch you if you lose so of course fighters are being forced to be smarter with who they fight...

Not saying all americans are like this or it's a exclusively american phenomena of fucktardness, but overall there's a different attitude abroad from both media and fans in how you weigh and respect a fighter's accomplishments and most of all skill level.

i tend to agree that the average fan is more dickhead than supportive. there are a million examples, and Cain going from "unstoppable" at 11-0 and "overrated" at 11-1 (or whatever the #s were after JDS I) is only the most exaggerated. even worse IMO is when fighters fight to a virtual tie (Shogun v Hendo? Machida v Rampage?) and fans consider the person who didn't get the nod a can. i mean for fucksake, seemingly 50% of sherdog thought Machida wasn't top 10 material anymore after the Rampage fight - utterly ludicrous.

and i won't argue that it's the fans and their inability to view any loss as anything but unacceptable that force fighters to look for win/win matchups only. if they have the negotiating power to demand it.

but about your first sentence, i would argue that Gust needed a top 5 win to get a title shot.

Well, he has superior reach...

To stay on topic: Would be a great fight to watch, it could go either way, but Mousasi should really be tested against a strong wrestler and, yes, he should fight at MW.

I hope they'll put Gus on the 159 card, so that he can fight Jones, if Chael pulls out.

He also has better footwork, a better jab, a better use of distance.

I'd rather see Mousasi vs Shogun or Mousasi vs Vera to welcome him in the UFC

People may think Mousasi getting Vera would be too low because of the high expectations but I like that match-up. Obviously I prefer the Shogun & Gustafsson ones but a debut against Vera would be alright.

He also has better footwork, a better jab, a better use of distance.

$1 says Mousasi works under that jab and gets to him though.

what happens if they clinch & dirty box, however, i have no idea. Mousasi is judo and technical, Gust is big & strong.

i hope Gust & Dana like this matchup that Gerard suggested. i won't get excited until it gets signed though.

and i bet it won't get signed unless Hendo wins. if Hendo wins he gets Jones in late '13 and Gust if free and clear. if Machida wins, Gust gets Jones.

People may think Mousasi getting Vera would be too low because of the high expectations but I like that match-up. Obviously I prefer the Shogun & Gustafsson ones but a debut against Vera would be alright.

Vera gets killed, but it's a very decent first fight for Gerard, in terms of getting his feet wet.

i tend to agree that the average fan is more dickhead than supportive. there are a million examples, and Cain going from "unstoppable" at 11-0 and "overrated" at 11-1 (or whatever the #s were after JDS I) is only the most exaggerated. even worse IMO is when fighters fight to a virtual tie (Shogun v Hendo? Machida v Rampage?) and fans consider the person who didn't get the nod a can. i mean for fucksake, seemingly 50% of sherdog thought Machida wasn't top 10 material anymore after the Rampage fight - utterly ludicrous.

I blame Brock. And Sonnen. And Hughes. And Tito. And Spike. And The Man Show.

and i won't argue that it's the fans and their inability to view any loss as anything but unacceptable that force fighters to look for win/win matchups only. if they have the negotiating power to demand it.

Rashad, Hendo or Machida would be win/lose for Alex though. I don't see it as a unrealistic demand if he were to make one.

but about your first sentence, i would argue that Gust needed a top 5 win to get a title shot.

I meant after the Shogun fight. He said already in the post fight press conference that he didn't wanna wait for a title shot but rather fight in the meantime. No one said he had to - in fact he was promised a title shot if he beat Shogun.

Vera gets killed, but it's a very decent first fight for Gerard, in terms of getting his feet wet.

And most people thought Vera wouldn't get out of the 2nd round against Shogun.

The only people to finish him via strikes have been Shogun, Jones & Werdum. He may not be a top-10 guy or anything but he's a solid competitor.

And most people thought Vera wouldn't get out of the 2nd round against Shogun.

The only people to finish him via strikes have been Shogun, Jones & Werdum. He may not be a top-10 guy or anything but he's a solid competitor.

agreed and agreed and agreed.

and i think he gets killed.

he survived Shogun and i give him big kudos for that. he DID get past the 2nd; he ate big shots...it was probably his best moment since before the Timmeh bout. he got all the way to the 4th even.

and i think he gets killed by Gegard.

he'll be game though, and that will be good.

Mousasi would totally take out Gus easily.

agreed and agreed and agreed.

and i think he gets killed.

he survived Shogun and i give him big kudos for that. he DID get past the 2nd; he ate big shots...it was probably his best moment since before the Timmeh bout. he got all the way to the 4th even.

and i think he gets killed by Gegard.

he'll be game though, and that will be good.

Maybe, hopefully he makes his debut soon and does because a top contender.

Why is no one talking about this possible match up!?

They could do it in Europe and it would get interest from the European fans.

Maybe the first UFC in Holland

Who wins?

I go with Mousasi via superior striking and all round game

would prob turn into the classic striker vs ground game

Maybe, hopefully he makes his debut soon and does because a top contender.

ya, ultimately that's the right attitude (or, i should say, i agree). once he fights some top 15's in the UFC we can all stop debating where he belongs.

would prob turn into the classic striker vs ground game

If you arent familiar with Mousasi, his striking skills are actually pretty badass and probably better than his grappling skills.

I think if these two were to fight, Mousasi would shine more than ever and look really good considering he doesnt have to worry about being taken down and he is a very good pure kickboxer.

Back