Mousasi vs Gustaffson

Dust2000

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Why is no one talking about this possible match up!?

They could do it in Europe and it would get interest from the European fans.

Maybe the first UFC in Holland

Who wins?

I go with Mousasi via superior striking and all round game

same, better standup as well as ground game, also has an huge advantage in experience, more fights, more wins, even has competitive experience in boxing and a k1 level kickboxer.

i have been saying i want to see mousasi vs gustafsson or mousasi vs shogun

mousasi loses to gustafsson but beats shogun

I'd rather see Mousasi vs Shogun or Mousasi vs Vera to welcome him in the UFC

There's nothing in it for Alex. If he KOs Gegard then nothing changes - the US fans still wants to see him "tested" against a "high caliber wrestler" (ie; Rashad because every other wrestler "sucks"). If he beats him in a decision then he'll even fall down a notch because he should've finished the "overrated" Gegard... :rolleyes:

It's idiotic but the fact is that american fans makes this otherwise great fight impossible from Alex perspective. He needs Hendo, Rashad or Machida to make the type of undeniable impression required to make a title fight sell.

a 3 rounder, Gegard all day. 5 rounder...i'd be less confident.

folks will talk about it if it gets signed.

There's nothing in it for Alex. If he KOs Gegard then nothing changes - the US fans still wants to see him "tested" against a "high caliber wrestler" (ie; Rashad because every other wrestler "sucks"). If he beats him in a decision then he'll even fall down a notch because he should've finished the "overrated" Gegard... :rolleyes:

It's idiotic but the fact is that american fans makes this otherwise great fight impossible from Alex perspective. He needs Hendo, Rashad or Machida to make the type of undeniable impression required to make a title fight sell.

you just explained why we see so few top 10 v top 10 matches. fucking fans. which is why i cannot wait for Cowboy v Pettis & Hendo v Machida.

you just explained why we see so few top 10 v top 10 matches. it's very difficult to sign top fighters against top fighters without the belt on the line when each fighter is demanding a win/win situation. which is why i cannot wait for Cowboy v Pettis & Hendo v Machida. since we get about 2 fights like this per year, no wonder i am looking forward to them.

Mousasi has fought HWs before, size shouldn't be an issue for him to beat Gus, but will be a pretty even fight. Mousasi would devour Shogun at this point tho.

the US fans still wants to see him "tested" against a "high caliber wrestler" (ie; Rashad because every other wrestler "sucks").

Agree with this.

-"I wanna see him against a good wrestler."
-"He beat Janitor and Hammil"
-"Yeah, but they suck."

On topic...I would like to see Gus fight Mousasi, simply because I don't think he will get the next shot and it would be a great fight to keep him busy.

Gegard should probably move in the division at a slightly lower peg then Gustafsson.

you want to see Gegard v Forrest? v Brilz???

Maybe Bader. Forrest wouldn't be a bad idea either, really.

Thing is, Gustafsson has earned the title shot. He probably won't get the next one due to timing and other guys being more lucrative options, but then his next fight needs to be of majorly high profile, preferably on another FOX card. If Rampage managed to get by Glover then he'd actually be the perfect foe for Gustafsson.

Gus is on the path to a title shot. If his next fight isn't for the title, it should be a #1 contender fight. Mousasi hasn't had the sort of recent win that would put him in the same category. Give him Shogun, loser of Rashad-Lil Nog, loser of Machida-Hendo, or Sonnen if there is anything left of him after the Jones fight.

Maybe Bader. Forrest wouldn't be a bad idea either, really.

Thing is, Gustafsson has earned the title shot. He probably won't get the next one due to timing and other guys being more lucrative options, but then his next fight needs to be of majorly high profile, preferably on another FOX card. If Rampage managed to get by Glover then he'd actually be the perfect foe for Gustafsson.

well, i dunno about "earned" but if Hendo loses, then ya he'll probably get one. unless he signs a fight with Gerard first :)

EDIT: i rescind my first 5 words above.

Last edited:
This would be a fun match. But I don't wanna see either of them lose.

Gus' standup is superior to Mousasi's.
Gus' fight to lose.

Back