Mousasi vs Gustaffson

I love both Mousasi and Gus, but I think Mousasi has better stand up. They're 2 of the best at 205 but the Shogun fight has shown Gus has some holes in his defense. Mousasi might just have the best striking defense in MMA. I have never seen him hit with a clean shot.

If you arent familiar with Mousasi, his striking skills are actually pretty badass and probably better than his grappling skills.

I think if these two were to fight, Mousasi would shine more than ever and look really good considering he doesnt have to worry about being taken down and he is a very good pure kickboxer.
I like how everyone noticed the holes in Gustafsson striking defence which more looked like sloppy misstakes than just being bad.

But no one seem to remember gustafsson takedowns and his insane chin. If gustafsson just combines the good striking and foot work he showed against Thiago Silva and the takedowns he showed against Shogun he looks really good.

I've been a Mousasi fan for years so I might be a bit biased when I say this, but I think that he has better technical stand up skills than Gus. I wasn't sold on Gus until after the Shogun fight and I think that Gus should get the next title shot if Hendo loses to Machida.

If the fight stays standing, I feel that Mousasi will win a UD (given Gus' chin) and Mousasi is slightly better in the grappling department (Gus has the better take down defence IMHO.) On the ground, I'm not so sure, given Gegard's tendencies. (such as when he gets taken down so he can be trigger happy off his back as was observed against King Mo and Jardine. Unfortunately, the Unified Rules do not usually reward you for being active off your back.)

In a three round fight, I have Mousasi by UD. Five round fight 48-47 Gegard or Gus.

I like how everyone noticed the holes in Gustafsson striking defence which more looked like sloppy misstakes than just being bad.

But no one seem to remember gustafsson takedowns and his insane chin. If gustafsson just combines the good striking and foot work he showed against Thiago Silva and the takedowns he showed against Shogun he looks really good.

Came here to post something along that line..

Stop wasting time with gustafsson vs x fighter

He NEEDS to fight jones, jones/sonnen is the biggest waste of time ever

He also has better footwork, a better jab, a better use of distance.

i disagree. gus' footwork isn't all that great, in fact its pretty bad, it wouldn't work as well if he wasn't so long and fought behind his jab as well. He looks at times uncoordinated and off balance, mousasi looks the opposite, he's extremely coordinated and doesn't make exaggerated movements like gus.

idk who would win but i would bet its very competitive on the feet. but i think gus' gameplan wouldn't be to stand the whole time, he'd be looking for quick takedowns and top control. and that would probably be the difference

i disagree. gus' footwork isn't all that great, in fact its pretty bad, it wouldn't work as well if he wasn't so long and fought behind his jab as well. He looks at times uncoordinated and off balance, mousasi looks the opposite, he's extremely coordinated and doesn't make exaggerated movements like gus.

idk who would win but i would bet its very competitive on the feet. but i think gus' gameplan wouldn't be to stand the whole time, he'd be looking for quick takedowns and top control. and that would probably be the difference

With that said, the fact gus has beat top ufc talent and mousasi has not makes a huge difference.

Mousasi needs to beat a guy in the Bader/Thiago Silva range before we even think about him fighting Gus, Shogun, Machida, etc. The guy's fought one arguable top 10 LHW his entire career (Mo) and he lost. No way he deserves any of those three right now.

Moo Sauce E better just drop to 185.

He says only if things go terribly wrong at 205. But I think he'll do just fine there. I'm all for Bader vs Mousasi in the debut fight. Why not test him right away. We know he does well with strikers.

I'll take Gus all day against Mousasi. Gus has been going up against the best while Mousasi has been beating up B level fighters for the last 3+ years. I think Gus would put him on his back and GnP him into oblivion.

Nope, we already talked about it, you/ve missed it obviously.
I'd like Mousasi vs Shogun a lot. Shogun will test both his stand up and GG. He'd def look for these TD's and I want to see how will Gegard do in getting back up to his feet and maintaining the fight standing.
Def dont want to see hism against Shad or Davis. This woudl be tough to watch

have to admit mousasi should be at 185 but he can be champ at 205 also

He says only if things go terribly wrong at 205. But I think he'll do just fine there. I'm all for Bader vs Mousasi in the debut fight. Why not test him right away. We know he does well with strikers.

In that fight he's be at a considerable wrestling and strength disadvantage. I see that going down similar to the Lawal fight.

Back