Nassordine Imavov - Discount Gegard Mousasi?

Gabe

Saturdays are for the Boys
@Silver
Reaction score
Watching him fight and operate last night it felt like seeing a lot of the things Mousasi did back in the day - both good and bad. Their striking is very similar especially their output when they smell blood. Seeing Imavov hurt Dolidze in the first round and hit him with 100+ consistent follow up shots was reminiscent to Mousasi vs. Vitor in the first round.

Then he just looks to tie up with Dolidze for most of the rest of the fight, almost like a purposeful strategy to conserve energy? The lackadaisical approach throughout rounds 2-5 and even that “I don’t give a fuck about anything” facial expression throughout the fight was reminiscent of Mousasi. Imavov just has even less killer instinct.

Was thinking the same thing as I was watching last night. Talked about it on the episode dropping tomorrow (shameless plug). Seemed like Imavov was content to score by punching his way in to the clinch and then just let the time melt away since he knew nothing was being offered in return from that position. Not the most aesthetically pleasing, but he was up in the fight and didn't need to take unnecessary risk. I do want to see him against Vettori or Allen after their fight.

Never put two and two together. Good call though

Totally different style

Moussasi was flat footed, especially after his knee injury. With a good jab and great ground game.

While Imavov bounces on his legs, one hand low, one below the chin. Then he darts in and out. Without a good ground or clinch game.

I guess both have brown hair, beard and look bored. Sherdog....

Totally different style

Moussasi was flat footed, especially after his knee injury. With a good jab and great ground game.

While Imavov bounces on his legs, one hand low, one below the chin. Then he darts in and out. Without a good ground or clinch game.

I guess both have brown hair, beard and look bored. Sherdog....

This lol. They're totally different.

Only real thing they have in common is that they're both cans.

I feel like with Imavov's bouncy style he might be the type of guy to frustrate Mousasi.

Mousasi was elite but he had that Diaz like thing where elite fighters can gameplan and beat him pretty handily every time. If you didn't run into Moose's jab or get overwhelmed by his early blitzes he wasn't very good at making late fight adjustments and instead he sorta just got visably frustrated like he did against Jacare and Machida. Imavov still has much to prove but with his footwork he already has a skill that Mousasi was limited by.

I never saw what others saw in Mousasi and every time when it seemed like he had a chance to shine he lost. We'll see how far Nassordine goes.

Cos you probably look at his UFC career which was lackluster. GM was already and international star who had been in the ring with and beaten some of the best at LW and HW. He had a good run after the UFC thou I think that was just the wrong place for a guy like that.

Cos you probably look at his UFC career which was lackluster. GM was already and international star who had been in the ring with and beaten some of the best at LW and HW. He had a good run after the UFC thou I think that was just the wrong place for a guy like that.
I'm talking even before he ever set foot in the UFC. Losing to King Mo showed he had a glaring hole and even when he made it in the UFC, he was outclassed by both Lyoto and Souza.

I'm talking even before he ever set foot in the UFC. Losing to King Mo showed he had a glaring hole and even when he made it in the UFC, he was outclassed by both Lyoto and Souza.
- Mousasi improved his wrestling since Mo figh

- Not many MWs, particularly of that generation, would get better odds vs King Mo at LHW

- its nitpicking a single fight out of one of the deepest resumes ever.

- Others tried to replicate similar game as King Mo on Mousasi and failed miserably, such as Weidman, Muñoz or Lafiti just to name a few from his UFC tenure

- There is a reason why Khabib Nurnagomedov, among many other elite fighters and pundits, called Mousasi the most underated fighter and praised him highly

Their striking is not similar.
Mousasi would have looked better vs a guy as raw as Dolidze in the standup.
Mousasi stood his ground much better than Imavov, who was exposed to a good extent by a short notice Strickland.

You just saw them alike in the surface. Maybe its just the hair, or the pecs. Because this is sherdog

- Mousasi improved his wrestling since Mo figh

- Not many MWs, particularly of that generation, would get better odds vs King Mo at LHW

- its nitpicking a single fight out of one of the deepest resumes ever.

- Others tried to replicate similar game as King Mo on Mousasi and failed miserably, such as Weidman, Muñoz or Lafiti just to name a few from his UFC tenure

- There is a reason why Khabib Nurnagomedov, among many other elite fighters and pundits, called Mousasi the most underated fighter and praised him highly
Yeah but IIRC you are one of his crazier fans so a sensible discussion isn't possible and I didn't nitpick a single fight but called a few. You go ahead and think what you want, you have about as high of hope of changing my mind as I do yours.

Yeah but IIRC you are one of his crazier fans so a sensible discussion isn't possible and I didn't nitpick a single fight but called a few. You go ahead and think what you want, you have about as high of hope of changing my mind as I do yours.
Lmao, the guy gives you a concise refutation and you immediately resort to ad hominem instead of an actual point. Jacare and Machida were top fighters at the time and you conveniently forget the fight in Dream where he KO'd Jacare?
Only on Sherdog will you have a discussion with people arguing "Yea Gegard wasn't really that good"
<Fedor23>

You dont tell me nothing, dude.
Why would I care about changing your mind.
I refflected on your point built around the Kingo Mo fight and there is that

Back