Media Michael Chandler hopes his fight vs McGregor is for the inaugural 165 lb title

Why in the hell would Michael Chandler be involved in a 165 lb title match?

<Huh2>

this needs to be posted every time this topic comes up.

Weight classUpper weight limit
Strawweight115 lb (52.2 kg)
Flyweight125 lb (56.7 kg)
Bantamweight135 lb (61.2 kg)
Featherweight145 lb (65.8 kg)
Lightweight155 lb (70.3 kg)
Super lightweight165 lb (74.8 kg)
Welterweight170 lb (77.1 kg)
Super welterweight175 lb (79.4 kg)
Middleweight185 lb (83.9 kg)
Super middleweight195 lb (88.5 kg)
Light heavyweight205 lb (93.0 kg)
Cruiserweight225 lb (102.1 kg)
Heavyweight265 lb (120.2 kg)
Super heavyweightNo limit
If these weight classes are implemented, MMA would die. Boxing is the best example of how too many weight classes and too many belts can destroy the sport.

I dont have a problem with divisions being rearranged and crowning new champs, the issue is making the inaugural fight with 1 guy that hasnt fought in years, hasnt won a fight for an even longer time...and a guy that is 2-3 in the UFC, whose last win was almost 2 years ago, to a guy that is on a 7 lose streak...coming off a loss, if anything, he should be aiming for the BMF fight for the winner, they have no business with a divisonal title, both of them.

Reactions: lsa
If these weight classes are implemented, MMA would die. Boxing is the best example of how too many weight classes and too many belts can destroy the sport.

You'd just end up with some guy holding 4 or 5 belts, and we'd be told how impressive it is, but ultimately they'd be beating a lot of the same guys they'd be competing against in the current format, only at slightly different weight classes.

I can see the call for a 165 and a 175 instead of a 170, but I still don't see why I'd need to see a title fight between a career lightweight and a fat featherweight with no power at 165.

You'd just end up with some guy holding 4 or 5 belts, and we'd be told how impressive it is, but ultimately they'd be beating a lot of the same guys they'd be competing against in the current format, only at slightly different weight classes.

I can see the call for a 165 and a 175 instead of a 170, but I still don't see why I'd need to see a title fight between a career lightweight and a fat featherweight with no power at 165.
Not only that, the whole talent pool would spread to the new weight classes which would lead to weaker divisions and weak top 10s. Imagine half of the lightweights going up to the 165lbs division. How would the 155lbs rankings look like? The top 15 would look awful.

strange that these MMA fighters are going to a dead sport for money.

I thought I saw Crawford vs Spence Jr made 25 million each last year.

Gracia vs Davis sold over a million PPVs last year

Wouldn't rule it out for them to invent a new division with nobody else in it just to make Conor champ, and would be kind of funny to start a new division 5 lbs away from another division just to make it a title fight between 2 guys who've lost 3 of their last 4.

Why have 165 & 170?? Doesn’t make sense.

If anything, add a cruiserweight (225lbs) division, and then have no max cap on HW (remove the ridiculous 265 limit).

225 is a retarded idea. 205 and heavyweight are already weak as it is and 205ers are already just heavyweights who cut weight.

Michael Chandler is so out of touch with the MMA community lol. Can't imagine I'm the only person rolling my eyes everytime he talks.

Please no. If Conor wins then all he will talk about is being a 3 division champ. Then not fight again and be a belt holder who doesn't defend it.

I like the "Franklinweight" name for 195. But I'm not sold on 165. I'm not against it, just not convinced on it. A lot of guys are too big for LW and too small for WW, so I do get it, but what would the divisions look like after? I can't get behind something that drains talent from deep divisions, but if it lets some fighters get beyond the rank squatters, I'm for it

tywin-lannister.gif

You already got your red panty night. Stop pushing your luck.

Lets hope for a 165 lb powerslap BMF interim belt in the near future

Chandler & McGregor both have lost 3 of 4 & now we're gonna have them fight for 165 lb belt? LOL

Instead of 2 divisions over 185 we would have 5.

Depth wise 2 is possibly to many, 5 would be laughably bad.

I seem to be one of the few in here that like chandler

But he’s showing serious signs of aging and seeming spacey lately …. Can’t be good …

At least he’s fighting an equally delusional person

Should be for the MDF belt - most delusional fighter

Back