Massage or Chiropractor?

^ on the whole i'd have to agree w/ you. however, i know but a sparing of chiro's that act with such ethics.

they are not only chiro trained but also medically trained, typically in PT or RT.

Usually they act as PTA's. But on the whole, you are correct in your assessment.

i say bikram yoga. I used to do the chiropractor when my back got real bad and he was amazing. Then I started doing the yoga and it never got bad anymore.

I would say yoga, and strengthening your back with some...back exercises. I had a nasty back problem for a month. Came out of nowhere. I knew it wasn't injured, but it hurt like hell, even to just sit in a chair. I couldn't put my finger on it, because i could still do my regular back exercises but at certain angles i would just be in unbelievable pain. Yoga would strengthen your core muscles and straighten everything out in your back. I just stretched my back out for a while and added some back workouts, and the pain completely went away. I don't know if this applies to you though...but that's what worked for me.

^ on the whole i'd have to agree w/ you. however, i know but a sparing of chiro's that act with such ethics.

they are not only chiro trained but also medically trained, typically in PT or RT.

Usually they act as PTA's. But on the whole, you are correct in your assessment.

The ones that are also medically trained should skip the whole back adjustment and not call themselves chiropractors, but physical therapists.

I would say yoga, and strengthening your back with some...back exercises. I had a nasty back problem for a month. Came out of nowhere. I knew it wasn't injured, but it hurt like hell, even to just sit in a chair. I couldn't put my finger on it, because i could still do my regular back exercises but at certain angles i would just be in unbelievable pain. Yoga would strengthen your core muscles and straighten everything out in your back. I just stretched my back out for a while and added some back workouts, and the pain completely went away. I don't know if this applies to you though...but that's what worked for me.

Almost all pain comes from weak muscles in your back, not spinal problems. This is pretty good advice.

The ones that are also medically trained should skip the whole back adjustment and not call themselves chiropractors, but physical therapists.

;) thats against state laws to claim they are as such.

but I agree... the trend however, will dictate much more powerfully that you or I will in that PT's are dominating the field thanks to their evidence based practice.

Did you know the FDA has approved leeches as a medical device?

Did you know leeches are used in hospitals around the country? That leeches are used in skin grafts and reattachment surgeries? That they have an enzyme that breaks down blood clots? That maggots are currently used to clean wounds? Imagine that, leeches and maggots used in America's finest hospitals...

Humans started using leeches over three thousand years ago. Amazing how sometimes science takes three thousand years to figure out what human beings already knew.

But don't let these facts interfere with what you believe...

On a side note, just drained my own cauliflower ear, and was thinking...wish i had a leech farm so i can just put one of those suckers on my ear instead of a needle...i hate needles...arg

On a side note, just drained my own cauliflower ear, and was thinking...wish i had a leech farm so i can just put one of those suckers on my ear instead of a needle...i hate needles...arg

Seems to be a common rugby player method--just be careful to plug your ears with something first. According to this article they like to scamper into the nearest orifice (certainly take the needle over that any day.)

BLOODSUCKERS.(use of leeches in modern medicine) Industry & Business Article - Research, News, Information, Contacts, Divisions, Subsidiaries, Business Associations

^ i actually read that article after some thought in the past whether leeches would work... the thought of a leech suckin on my ear drum was pretty unnerving

I had never heard about this hate of chiropractors before

must be an american thing

I have used one in the past before fixed me atleast

Again, I would like to point out these are all effective treatments, but are not part of chiropractics. Almost every time hear about how much chiropractors have helped them, it is usually not the chiropractics that helped them. Rather it is techniques that were taken physical therapy. If you elbow hurts and the chirporactor fixes it anyway except adjusting your spine so your "innate intelligence" can properly flow into the heavens, you did not receive chiropractics.

That said, if you are getting these sort of treatments from a chiropractor and you are getting it paid for by your insurance, you should probably stick with it. Just don't say chiropractics helped you.

Who said I was getting spinal or unnecessary adjustments? He doesn't look to crack, pop, align every bone in my body and certainly doesn't try instill false hope about doing so to fix "other" things. He treats the areas that need attention and are giving me issue. That is the reason I go there in the first place.

I also made a statement in my original post that you did not include in your quote to say that not all chiro's are good just like many MD's out there.

I injured my neck in a No-Gi comp last year and went to a chiropractor for it. We talked about the stuff that a lot of chiro's believe (fixing your immune system by adjusting your spine, etc.), but he said he wasn't interested in any of that. He adjusted my neck and after the first visit, I felt noticeably better.

It still took a few weeks of treatments, but once it was done, I stopped going. A few months after that I tore a groin muscle in training and my ortho just told me to take 2 months off, but didn't give me any kind of rehab.

I went back to my chiro and he hooked me up with ultrasound treatments (basically just deep heat massage) and it sped the healing up tremendously.

So, yeah, I've had good experiences with chiro's, but my chiropractor didn't do /say a lot of the stuff that it seems brings on all the anti-chiropractor hate.

Hey man...

Good points!

As i pointed out though, there are physician that will perform "chiropractic" techniques, but they actually do not call themselves chiropractors. Usually they are sports medicine physicians. They will use a combination of chiro and massage...usually coupled with physically therapy as well. The Chiro is usually only used for a short period of time, and the physical therapy is what you depend on for long term fixing of the problem as well as strengthening/fixing the problem area

So yes...practitioners that do utilize some legitimate "chiropractic" techniques do not call themselves chiros...actually from my experience they say as far away from that term/label as possible!

I injured my neck in a No-Gi comp last year and went to a chiropractor for it. We talked about the stuff that a lot of chiro's believe (fixing your immune system by adjusting your spine, etc.), but he said he wasn't interested in any of that. He adjusted my neck and after the first visit, I felt noticeably better.

It still took a few weeks of treatments, but once it was done, I stopped going. A few months after that I tore a groin muscle in training and my ortho just told me to take 2 months off, but didn't give me any kind of rehab.

I went back to my chiro and he hooked me up with ultrasound treatments (basically just deep heat massage) and it sped the healing up tremendously.

So, yeah, I've had good experiences with chiro's, but my chiropractor didn't do /say a lot of the stuff that it seems brings on all the anti-chiropractor hate.

Are you aware that your chiro was most likely not licenced/trained to preform any sort of "ultrasound treatments". That requires a specical type of schooling and licencing to ensure that the equipment is being properly used...that is not taught in chiro school.

Additionally, many chiros do not have any training in using such devices, but for whatever reason are able to purchase them...

It is possible that your chiro is/was licenced to use that machine...in that case it is all good.
But many chiros that i have spoken with use such technology, and have not training on how to properly use it...

just thought that i would put that out there

Sounds like you lucked out.
Because there really are a ton of shitty chiros out there.
People who will try and sell you life long subscriptions to chiro treatment, telling you to come in every 14 days,
people telling you they can fix your kids pollen allergies by getting rid of spinal subluxations, shit like that.

Personally, I went to a chiro, 3 treatments in 4 weeks, helped for a while, but when the problems returned and the chiro tried selling me on bi-weekly treatments more or less for perpetuity, I told him to fuck off, and went to a physical therapist instead.

;) thats against state laws to claim they are as such.

but I agree... the trend however, will dictate much more powerfully that you or I will in that PT's are dominating the field thanks to their evidence based practice.

Back