Massage or Chiropractor?

Hey man, thanks for responding. It retrospect i did not make myself as clear as i should of, so thanks for pointing that out, and giving me a chance to better explain myself.

It sounds as if your chiro is one of the good ones. Again i should have been more specific in my original statement. Personally, i would never recommend chiropractic (see previous posts) but for those who want to use them there are decent ones out there, so i should have stated that. My apologizes

Where i have problems is when chiros get into "what they are doing" and start telling you that they releasing the flow of energy from your spine from inate sublaxations. This is proven to be false, no such thing exists. There are such a thing as sublaxations of the spine but not in the sense that most chiropractors understand the term.

Chiropractic can be useful for short term releif of problems, and there is an actual medical term for "medical chiropractic" (the term escapes me right this second) that when done over the SHORT TERM can have extremely postive effects. The main different though is that this type of chiro is done by a qualified physician who will preform all of the appropriate neurological exams (including a nuerological exam, and X-ray, CT scans, MRIs if deemed appropriate). If all of this comes back okay, than the physician will go ahead and do what he has to do. If the chiro can be used to treat an acute problem, and that problem is solved...great! If the chiro cannot be used to treat the problem, you do not continue to do it as the benefit/risk ration is not good.

So again it sounds as if your chiro is one of the good ones. But i have to ask did he have you referred to a physician/neurologist 1st for a physical? Did he go over the potential risks with you 1st before preforming any treatments (such as the risk of paralysis)?

Additionally, you stated that you do not claim to know that "science" behind chiropractic...and fair enough. I do, i am also aware of the "education" these individuals recieve, thus my skepticism on the subject

So in hindsight my initial commments where a bit inflammatory and not as well stated as they could have been...

hopefully i have cleared up any misunderstandings...

if not please feel free to ask!:icon_chee

good day to you all!

Hey bucket,

This posts does clear a lot of your previous statements, but I stand behind what i said about going to a chiro. I broke my C4, spent 3 months in a halo, and had plenty of physical therapy to go along. Its been 7 years since my accident and the only thing that saves me is my chiropractor.

I do have a "medical chiropractor", he works with my neurologists. There is lots of cracking, poping, muscle/nerve compressions. Xrays and MRI's over the last 6 years have show my significant realignment in my cervical and thoracic vertebrae, resulting in an uninflammed spinal cord.

I feel better because of him, I walk in with a neck crank and leave without it. I'm not put under a magic spell to think i'm not in pain. I have a massage guy he sends me to also but for normal musscle pains, 60 min for $25.

But I stand by my orignal statement. "BJJ back syndrome", " tight and sore"...go to massage to lossen up, but if you have chronic neck/back pain you should go to a chiropractor

I think the chiropractors that people consider as "good" chiropractors, are the ones that don't just rely on chiropractic. Massaging out a knot and then doing an adjustment and then you felt relief, of course you did, he massaged out the knot.

Go have a deep tissue massage, or see a physical therapist, not a chiropractor.

I occasionally use chiropractors. The first problem with them is that it is very hard to find one that is good. Most of them suck. And second,even if you find a good one, the things they can fix are relatively narrow, unlike their promises. However, there are some bone alignment issues that they do seem to be able to fix very quickly and impressively.

For something like simple "tightness" or soreness, there's no way I'd see a chiropractor. I only go if there feels something structurally wrong with my back, and it isn't getting resolved by rest and massage. Most of the time, a sore back is just from sore muscles and ligaments, and a chiropractor isn't going to help that by cranking your bones around.

I don't know about the rest of you guys but my chiropractor has a small army of massage therapists working for him. He's willing to give me a free adjustment whenever I go get a massage. So I guess I'm recommending that you do both.

I am impressed on the amount of people here advocating against chiropractors!

I personally don't like paying a "doctor" who got his license from a magic school.

there is a chiropractor that trains with me, and i go see him, he fixes all sorts of things that i mess up through be to stubborn in submission, my dad never thought they did anything, but when u pop your elbow, and it still hurts after two weeks, and you go get it adjusted, and it feels better the next day youll change your mind

Haha "magic school", ignorance at its best

Are you familiar with innate intelligence? It is hard to see the rational behind vertebral subluxation as practiced by straight chiropractics as anything but ****physical jibberish. The only chiropractors who are tolerable are the ones who don't believe in the foundation of their field!

I regularly (about 4 times a year) visit my chiropractor. You've got to find a good one though. Some have unrealistic beliefs in their abilities. A good chiropractor will not only be able to adjust your back (and knees, shoulders, ankles, etc.) they will also use electro stimulation or massage for pulled or inflamed muscles. I've had great results with treatment for inflamed muscles, sore necks, lingering headaches, shoulder pain etc. Chiropractors can't cure cancer, but they can make life easier for BJJ practioners or MMA fighters.
Try one out for yourself though. Most insurance plans cover 3-4 visits per year.

The thing is, all these great things you are getting from your chiropractor HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH CHIROPRACTICS. He is performing unlicensed physical therapy and operating equipment he has no medical training to use.

exactly what do you have to do to become a chiopractor. I know you need a BA/BS to go to school but do they go to med school then chiro school or what. What do they teach you there?

My bigest experience with chiropractors is I have a "friend" :icon_chee that works at a firm whom has a personal injury deparment. They have a arrangement with some chiropractors so that every single 5 mile an hour collision to date has casued some back pain or injury. There is a joke that if you wern't feeling pain before seeing them you will after

He is able to give me stem treatment, ultrasound, and cold laser therapy, not to mention a great massage to loosen things up. I would have been unable to attend a Marcelo Garcia seminar last month had he not been able to help me.

Again, I would like to point out these are all effective treatments, but are not part of chiropractics. Almost every time hear about how much chiropractors have helped them, it is usually not the chiropractics that helped them. Rather it is techniques that were taken physical therapy. If you elbow hurts and the chirporactor fixes it anyway except adjusting your spine so your "innate intelligence" can properly flow into the heavens, you did not receive chiropractics.

That said, if you are getting these sort of treatments from a chiropractor and you are getting it paid for by your insurance, you should probably stick with it. Just don't say chiropractics helped you.

Really...they "do wonders"?

What wonders do they do...you say that your spine is not alligned. Do you have scoliosis?

I am guessing you do not. Instead your chiro told you that your spine what out of line, told you that he did some things to "fix" your back...

Did he do any good. Most likely not. Did he do anything that would benefit you anymore than simple stretching and proper body mechanics...again most likely not.

You simply felt a little different/better because essentially he TOLD you that be made you better. Nothing more and nothing less.

And let me let you in on another little secret. It is impossible to "reallign" a spine with hand movements/manipulates. To reallign your spine you would require some form of corrective surgery, and again unless you have scoliosis this is not needed...

So again before you go telling people that a "practitioner" can do wonders...do a little research 1st

Not once did i say they re aligned my entire spine. I guess misaligned was the wrong word. Its not misaligned side to side more like when i lay flat my feet arn't even. one heel sticks down a couple millimeters further than the other. It really makes your hips/ lower back feel really jacked up.

Im pretty sure having her pop it back into its normal position is a lot better than having some dude rub oil on my back and rub it.

Are you familiar with innate intelligence? It is hard to see the rational behind vertebral subluxation as practiced by straight chiropractics as anything but ****physical jibberish. The only chiropractors who are tolerable are the ones who don't believe in the foundation of their field!

Very well said...

Well "magic school" is maybe a bit harsh, it is not that far off. Again, i have done the research, do some for yourself. See what a chiro has to go through to in school, read over some of the courses they take and what they are taught...and really if is not all that far off from "magical thinking".

As i pointed out in previous posts chiropractic is based on 100 year old "science" that has failed to evolve with the rest of the science/medical community/research.

there is a chiropractor that trains with me, and i go see him, he fixes all sorts of things that i mess up through be to stubborn in submission, my dad never thought they did anything, but when u pop your elbow, and it still hurts after two weeks, and you go get it adjusted, and it feels better the next day youll change your mind

No offense dude, but you are missing the point of the conversation/discussion here.

Physical Therapist is the best bet. They are the most scientific and can do everything Chiro's and MT's do but for less expensive price because they are usually covered by medical insurance. Even if you do not have it, you will be paying for both services for about the same price.

The thing is, all these great things you are getting from your chiropractor HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH CHIROPRACTICS. He is performing unlicensed physical therapy and operating equipment he has no medical training to use.

Dude you hit the nail on the head! Nice!

The chiropractors (again, see my previous posts on "pure" vs. "medical" chiropractic) that utilize sound medical/scientific research are actually going against the gain of their own profession (which in my opinion is actually a good thing).

Ones that are using "tens" units and various other types of equipment...
Unless they have a license to use those machines/units (and please be aware going to chiropractic school does not qualify you to utilize these machines) you are not legally allowed to use them, and if caught you can have you licence revoked and face some nasty charges (which i am told can include a prison sentence, but due to the overcrowding in prisions this is something that is rarely enforced).

Next time your chiro wants to use one of those fancy machines on you...ask him/her where they got their licence to use them

exactly what do you have to do to become a chiopractor. I know you need a BA/BS to go to school but do they go to med school then chiro school or what. What do they teach you there?

My bigest experience with chiropractors is I have a "friend" :icon_chee that works at a firm whom has a personal injury deparment. They have a arrangement with some chiropractors so that every single 5 mile an hour collision to date has casued some back pain or injury. There is a joke that if you wern't feeling pain before seeing them you will after

Ahh that is what they would like to have you believe.

This is one my problems with chiros as well, as many propogate the myth that they are actual physicians (althought, as mentioned in my previous posts there are some that are actual doctors)...
They call themselves a "doctor" of chiropractic.

Many people think this is the same as being a doctor/physician, when in actuality it is no different than be a "doctor" of socialolgy or a "doctor" of english.

Chiros do not go to med school.

Again, do yourself a favor and do a little research on your own, you will be surprised about what you find.

^ There isn't a need to disparage ALL chiro's as such. I have known and worked with some very ethical and scientific Chiro's. Nevertheless, there is, however, an innate conflict of interests to a purist chiropractic practice in that they require you to constantly come back for adjustments. This conflict of interest also is seen, tho not to such a high degree, by Massage therapists and other para-medical "rehab" / "health / wellness / care" type institutions.

Physical Therapists are judged as good PT's if they only see you a few times and never see you again. There is no conflict of interest there.

Thanks for all the feed back guys.

I followed your advice and put a few leaches on my back and ate a PBandJ sandwich and now feel much better.

Classic! Who says you shouldn't come to sherdog for medical advice???

^ There isn't a need to disparage ALL chiro's as such. I have known and worked with some very ethical and scientific Chiro's. Nevertheless, there is, however, an innate conflict of interests to a purist chiropractic practice in that they require you to constantly come back for adjustments. This conflict of interest also is seen, tho not to such a high degree, by Massage therapists and other para-medical "rehab" / "health / wellness / care" type institutions.

Physical Therapists are judged as good PT's if they only see you a few times and never see you again. There is no conflict of interest there.

"scientific chiro" is an oxymoron, their whole proffession is any thing but science, if they were scientific at all they would organize randomized clinical blind trials to check whether their treatment does any good before cracking/aligning their fictitious subluxations. I fail to see how you can get an X-ray and the person who does the X-ray report who is qualified in their feild can't see any thing wrong with it, yet a chiro can see the mystical subluxations and then charge you $60 a session once a month for the rest of your lift to correct this subluxation.

Back