Massage or Chiropractor?

HuntingtonBeach

Reaction score
I have a bad case of BJJ Back Syndrome.

Its tight and sore... What is my best bet, Massage or Chiropractor?

personally I would never ever recommend anyone ever ever goes to a chiropractor

but what do I know?

but what do I know?

why is that? did you have a bad experience?

I recommend a massge first, but if begin to have chronic back/neck pain...you need to find a good chiropractor

why is that? did you have a bad experience?

I recommend a massge first, but if begin to have chronic back/neck pain...you need to find a good chiropractor

You could not be more wrong.

Yes try out a massage therapist, or even a physiotherapist, but if you value your back/spine and the money in your wallet do not go to a chiropractor.

I will not even get into why these individuals are called "back quacks" but what they "practice" so far out of the realm of science and plausibility it is ridicious. Do yourself a favor and do a little research on chiropractors "believe" that they are capable of doing. Than match that with research on how the body actually works/functions...

If you have done that, and still want to go to a chiropractor...hey...do not say that i did not warn you

i would sooner send someone to an astrologer than a chiropractor

I've been having back problems for a long long time...but I usually have it under control:

I get a massage if my back pain is muscle related....like back spasms or tight muscles....
Wish I were in Thailand where the massages are super cheap and excellent...

I go see a chiropractor if my back pain is spine related...Usually when my spine feels likes it is fusing together and I need to get it loosened up....

Another option is seeing a physiotherapist....or doing a of lot of stretching....

Two stretches that work for me...
Cobra stretch or Sloppy Push Up....Like a push up but just pushing my upper body off the ground while exhaling...
Another stretch - more of a back strengthening excercise is kind of like swimming except with the opposite leg and arm....Where I'm on my stomach and I lift my right arm and left leg and then my right leg and left arm - your chin should be about 3 or 4 inches off the ground....

I'd reccomment a deep tissue massage specically. Just remember not to do anything afterwards that day and sometimes the next day.

i go to a chiropractor but hes way more into making sure my nervous system is healthy than cracking bones. anyway ive had really good result with mine. but i would be scared to head to one if it was the standard chiropractor, but even they can be a really good physical therapist to help you stay healthy with specific exercises

i go to a chiropractor but hes way more into making sure my nervous system is healthy than cracking bones. anyway ive had really good result with mine. but i would be scared to head to one if it was the standard chiropractor, but even they can be a really good physical therapist to help you stay healthy with specific exercises

It is ludicrous how many people believe in the "wisdom" of chiropractors in their ability to "heal the nervous system". It's as airy fairy as aligning your chi.

Ok, whatever you say dude, but its worked for me in the past.

i'd recommend a deep massage, always enjoy one after hard training or a tournament

Massage with happy ending > regular deep tissue massage > chiropractor

i ave a chiropractor that i use and it's one of the things that helps me train as hard as i do when getting ready for tournaments. he doesn't heal my nerves or such bs. he works on my alignment and getting th things i have tweaked back into place. i know you guys who do not like chiros will have all kinds of evidence showing me how i am wrong. here's what i know.

when i wrack something or push my body to hard, i go see my chiropractor, then sometimes a massage therapist. after the sessions i can move more freely, without whatever was ailing me limiting my mobility. i also find that i can go back to training hard again.

i will concede tht when i stretch more often and long enough i also need to see the chiro and massage therapist less.

do i think everyone should go to one, i don't care. it's worked for me so far.

but what do I know?

Chiropractors do wonders. I love going to the chiropractor. But its only if you feel like something is not aligned. my lower back is not aligned properly and it gives me trouble going from a bent position to a straight up one and sometimes when sleeping or sitting it is really uncomfortable. If what you are experiencing is just like tightness or soreness id get a massage.

I've been to the chiropractor a few times when I was younger and he worked wonders on my back.

I have a friend whos a chiropractor, and he operates on me free of charge alot of the time so I'm not worried about the "money grab".

Also he doesn't do jack with my nervous system or that shit. He fixes my back problem.
I know lots of people who hate chiropractors and will never see them because of whatever reason. But he works wonders on my back so I believe in them.

It is ludicrous how many people believe in the "wisdom" of chiropractors in their ability to "heal the nervous system". It's as airy fairy as aligning your chi.

Dude i could not agree more!

People just take what chiropractors say at face value and do not fact checking what so ever. A chiropractor cannot "fix" your nervous system or whatever else they claim to do. Chiropractic is based on about 120year old "science". Science that has since beem proven to be wrong...

Chiropractic started when blood letting was a popular manner in which to cure infection. If your doctor told you he was going to get rid of your sinus infection by preforming some blood letting, would you let him (i hope not).
While the rest of the scientific/medicine community strives to learn new things and better treatment/intervention Chiropractic is content to utilize knowledge from the dark ages...

but hey...it is your spine...you are free to do what you want with it

Chiropractors do wonders. I love going to the chiropractor. But its only if you feel like something is not aligned. my lower back is not aligned properly and it gives me trouble going from a bent position to a straight up one and sometimes when sleeping or sitting it is really uncomfortable. If what you are experiencing is just like tightness or soreness id get a massage.

Really...they "do wonders"?

What wonders do they do...you say that your spine is not alligned. Do you have scoliosis?

I am guessing you do not. Instead your chiro told you that your spine what out of line, told you that he did some things to "fix" your back...

Did he do any good. Most likely not. Did he do anything that would benefit you anymore than simple stretching and proper body mechanics...again most likely not.

You simply felt a little different/better because essentially he TOLD you that be made you better. Nothing more and nothing less.

And let me let you in on another little secret. It is impossible to "reallign" a spine with hand movements/manipulates. To reallign your spine you would require some form of corrective surgery, and again unless you have scoliosis this is not needed...

So again before you go telling people that a "practitioner" can do wonders...do a little research 1st

Ok, whatever you say dude, but its worked for me in the past.

See me recent posts...

and do a little research for youself...

or dont,

again it is your spine and you can do what you want with it

I regularly (about 4 times a year) visit my chiropractor. You've got to find a good one though. Some have unrealistic beliefs in their abilities. A good chiropractor will not only be able to adjust your back (and knees, shoulders, ankles, etc.) they will also use electro stimulation or massage for pulled or inflamed muscles. I've had great results with treatment for inflamed muscles, sore necks, lingering headaches, shoulder pain etc. Chiropractors can't cure cancer, but they can make life easier for BJJ practioners or MMA fighters.
Try one out for yourself though. Most insurance plans cover 3-4 visits per year.

Back