Marc Goddard is terrible.

If Doumbe didn't stop and try to say something was wrong a *second time* then the fight would have continued. He tried to pause, got told no, then there was no action and his opponent called BS to which Doumbe started reiterating the reason he's not fighting is because something is wrong. Therefore the fight was stopped.

There isn't a function for the ref to pause the fight to call the doctor to come in and remove glass. The only thing that is supposed to pause for is an immediate check if someone can continue. There are no time out, and fighters especially can't call them. That fight WAS over, whether you idiots want to cry about it or not. The only difference is the loss vs a genuine no contest, because how the fuck does a fight go on with broken glass in the cage? But if they pulled glass out of his foot after, then it should be overturned, but that doesn't mean Marc should have done anything different.
Yep this. As much as it was a complete fluke Doumbe stepped on glass. You can't pause the fight for non official reasons. And Doumbe was continuously trying to talk with the ref and point at his foot it seemed and with no obvious reason caused by his opponent. Its either fight, or not. If you can't or aren't fighting the fight is over. Now maybe the fight should be overturned as a no contest in appeal I don't know how they'll handle it. But Marc had to make a call. He had no way to know Cedric stepped on something, nor is it something they're really trained to pay attention too. Shitty ending no doubt, damned if you do, damned if you don't situation for Marc. But he had to do what he had to do, his job isn't to appease the fan base.

So when a guy gets a cut the ref shouldn't call in the doctor sir?
A guy doesn't get a timeout for getting kicked in the dick?

Its at the refs discretion, and it was at his discretion to make the call to see what was wrong here tbh.
He doesn't call a cutman in to repair the cut. The fighter does not have time to rest for a cut and the cut isn't given time to heal. The doctors only purpose is to, as immediately as possible, determine if the fight can continue.

A guy gets 5 minutes for a low blow, but didn't get the same until a year or two ago for sure pokes. Either way, those are fouls that have specific answers, and again, are to see the fight continue as soon as possible, without any medical intervention.

Now, if they spotted it beforehand, sure time could be called and the thing could be cleared, with the ref probably telling the whole time to hurry up and Rogan having a traumatic ice-based flashback, but that isn't a fighter needing to be seen to.

I think all the above listed fights were fine stoppages
Izzy was especially fully done. I remember some dumb thread where people tried to argue Alex was mostly missing, then in the slowmo, you could breakdown every single hit bobbing Izzy around. And there was nothing wrong with the Jiri stoppage either.

Did you even watched the fight? It was a small splinter...Nothing to say here, Doumbe quitted

Yeh, I watched the fight.

Why would he suddenly quit when it was 1-1 and he had the momentum on his side?

And he never quit at all. Baki said he wasn't fighting, so Goddard stopped the fight. Never mind that Baki himself was doing just as little lol.

I must be dumb, he strikes me as one of the better refs
Is weird how can refs go from good to garbage in one fight, he seems a good ref to me, but he fucked up this one, i dont agree with the ones OP mentioned, Adesanya was done and so was Jiri.

Conor tried to save us from him years ago :p

Imagine trying to compete with the UFC and one of your top guys gets knocked off course because there were shards of glass in your cage

I've been rooting for PFL, but they are so disastrously run, I can't do much besides shake my head anymore.

I've witnessed Marc Goddard ruin a few title fights by stopping them prematurely such as Colby Usman 1, Periera vs Adesanya 1, Periera vs Jiri, and now he stops the Cedric Doumbe fight after he stepped on glass inside the octagon. This ref is a serious problem and there's only going to be more problems going forward especially in title fights Marc Goddard has proven he CAN NOT BE TRUSTED in high stress situations.
Idiotic white belt post, dude is the best in the business. GOATard

I've witnessed Marc Goddard ruin a few title fights by stopping them prematurely such as Colby Usman 1, Periera vs Adesanya 1, Periera vs Jiri, and now he stops the Cedric Doumbe fight after he stepped on glass inside the octagon. This ref is a serious problem and there's only going to be more problems going forward especially in title fights Marc Goddard has proven he CAN NOT BE TRUSTED in high stress situations.
Didn't he give mvp a point deduction for acting like he was taking a selfie?

Pereira vs Adesanya 1 wasn’t a premature stoppage. Neither was Pereira vs Jiri or Colby vs Usman.
Sounds like you prematurely made this shitty thread.

Seems like he's been hitting the HGH pretty hard and really trying to bulk up his upper body so that it matches his head. But you can see he never works on his legs. Body's getting out of proportion a little bit.

He doesn't call a cutman in to repair the cut. The fighter does not have time to rest for a cut and the cut isn't given time to heal. The doctors only purpose is to, as immediately as possible, determine if the fight can continue.

A guy gets 5 minutes for a low blow, but didn't get the same until a year or two ago for sure pokes. Either way, those are fouls that have specific answers, and again, are to see the fight continue as soon as possible, without any medical intervention.

Now, if they spotted it beforehand, sure time could be called and the thing could be cleared, with the ref probably telling the whole time to hurry up and Rogan having a traumatic ice-based flashback, but that isn't a fighter needing to be seen to.

Could've had the doc look at it rather than calling the fight.

Yes, Goddard is a problem. He's ruining fighters' careers.

He always tries to make it about himself, constantly trying to act tough to the fighter complaining about something cause he wants to feel powerful. Narcissistic personality, not enough to get diagnosed but enough to go on a podcast and call out a fat ginger guy (mma guru) multiple times for daring to disagree with you
Oh that was him who typed that erotica mma fanfic along the lines of "when I'm in the cage, I'm the guy in charge. I control everything. You obey. Do I smell good ? I don't care." on twitter. That was nice

Back