Maia is back in the title picture

I actually have him losing to several people in the 9-15 range. Damn dubs. Cant edit posts.

Wins against dong Kim, rick story, and john Fitch in a row, razor close loss to Jake shields and a fairly competitive fight with Rory McDonald (slightly better conditioning being the difference) and you're telling me he's not close to top 8? He's top 10. So are you a troll or an idiot?

He's an idiot. So are the countless others in this thread talking shit about Maia.

I like your style, straight to the point.

Ty good sir. When he said he would clear out half of the top 8 I had to go look for myself.

Im genuinely interested what four this guy is going to pick because Maia doesn't have too many favorable match ups in that top 15, let alone picking off half the top 8.

Ty good sir. When he said he would clear out half of the top 8 I had to go look for myself.

Im genuinely interested what four this guy is going to pick because Maia doesn't have too many favorable match ups in that top 15, let alone picking off half the top 8.

:wink:

I would favor him against at least two of them and really not by much.

All this hate for Maia.......
It was less than a year ago that he was the biggest threat for GSP, and then Shields and Rory happened.

Look, Maia is still a good fighter, and can very realistically fight for the title within two fights, whether Sherdog throws a hissy fit is irrelevant.

Maia could beat Jake E given how Jake has fought recently, Condit if he isn't the same beast he was pre-injury, and Matt Brown if he could get him down to the ground.

Any combination of those three fights could have Maia in a title fight. Powerful wrestle-boxers like Lawler, Hendricks, Woodley, Macdonald and Lombard all pose nightmares for him, but it is possible for Maia to get to a title fight with the right matchups.

Let's say Maia/ Ellenberger fights later this year and if Maia wins, Maia/Condit in early 2015. I'm not saying it should happen, but Maia could get a title shot with the champion as the logjam at the top of the WW division should be cleared out by then, leaving a path to the title for Maia.

I agree, but he was in control, and he could have been in control a lot longer If he tried to work the clinch game.

That's a pretty tough task. I don't think anybody has been able to do that to Rory effectively in the UFC so far, maybe his entire career.

:wink:

I would favor him against at least two of them and really not by much.

I have about two or 3 in the top 8 I would favor him. At least 2 as well.

Still waiting on our boy's response.

I honestly want to see Maia x Nelson. I think Gunnar would buzzsaw this current Maia and sub him.

Holy shit you guys sound like you've just started watching MMA

Lets be honest.

Either he subs a guy quickly, or just out positions them for a full fight.

that's how he wins.

He also is not in the title picture, he beat a random guy, and couldn't finish him with like 10 minutes of mount.

He wasn't a random guy. That random guy was coming off a win over Paul Daley who is a good win for anybody.

He wasn't a random guy. That random guy was coming off a win over Paul Daley who is a good win for anybody.

Guy is a random. No casual fan knows who the fuck that is. They probably thought Martin Kampann made his return and lost.

Did Flo & Anik even mention he beat Paul Daley?

All this hate for Maia.......
It was less than a year ago that he was the biggest threat for GSP, and then Shields and Rory happened.

Look, Maia is still a good fighter, and can very realistically fight for the title within two fights, whether Sherdog throws a hissy fit is irrelevant.

Maia could beat Jake E given how Jake has fought recently, Condit if he isn't the same beast he was pre-injury, and Matt Brown if he could get him down to the ground.

Any combination of those three fights could have Maia in a title fight. Powerful wrestle-boxers like Lawler, Hendricks, Woodley, Macdonald and Lombard all pose nightmares for him, but it is possible for Maia to get to a title fight with the right matchups.

Let's say Maia/ Ellenberger fights later this year and if Maia wins, Maia/Condit in early 2015. I'm not saying it should happen, but Maia could get a title shot with the champion as the logjam at the top of the WW division should be cleared out by then, leaving a path to the title for Maia.

So if he's granted the easiest road possible, he could get a shot. He needs to get KOTFO in next match and start packing bags.

He's never been a fighter, just a grappler.

That's a pretty tough task. I don't think anybody has been able to do that to Rory effectively in the UFC so far, maybe his entire career.

Maia controlled Rory in round one. In round three when he finally initiated the clinch game, he got Rory down nearly instantly. Rory won, no doubt; but if Maia had better cardio, and or better fight iq he could have tooled Rory from the clinch all night. Maia needs a new gym and better coaching, he can perform a lot better with a good tactician in his corner.

He is spot on.

Maia is clearly just collecting pay checks. The guy was one of the best grapplers in the world and can't even grapple his opponent in something hes done for years without gassing.

He makes way too much money to perform like greased fuck.

His striking is no better from his debut and his grappling is decaying. He has the cardio of an amateur HW fighter.

He fought in his hometown and even they were bored. He barely got any applause after his match.

Like either cut him or give him a severe pay cut and send him to the undercard. He's a waste of time and space on the main card. He's a shoe in to stink up any card he's on.

Im interested to see Maia in a main card since he is one of the best grapplers in the world. Although I think he is declining.
Same with Okami, I prefer to see Okami in a main card rather than a CB Dollaway-Francis Carmont fight like last weekend, by faar. I don't care if CB or Francis, or Boetsch or Philippou or Tavares are more cool, exciting or whatever, they are clearly less skilled than Okami as a fighters and that is what matters for me. I know casuals think otherwise

Here's a picture for you

maia-super.jpg

He will never be a champion. He's a one trick pony. If he can't you to the ground, he's done.

Back