Maia is back in the title picture

Lol at saying he's in the title picture
Lol at the neckbeard expending so much energy to hate on one of the sweetest guys in the sport

I love Maia, but I don't think he'll fight for the title. He should have dropped down to WW a few years earlier. Maybe after his loss to Silva.

At this point I just want to see him have a few more wins in some fun fights and retire. He doesn't need the money so I hope he doesn't stick around for too long.

But who knows, maybe he'll prove me wrong. In any case, WAR MAIA!

Not a Maia fan myself, but I'm also wondering if people round here have short memories. As previously stated, it's only 2-3 fights ago he was bossing Dong, Story and Fitch.

Also, has anyone considered that his most recent performance may have been down to the quality of his opponent? It can be hard to get motivated when it's not a 'big fight' for you (Diego against Hathaway, for example). They do say that fighting the best brings the best out in you.

I disagree about him being in the title picture. He should fight the loser of Lombard/Dong.

Lets be honest.

Either he subs a guy quickly, or just out positions them for a full fight.

that's how he wins.

He also is not in the title picture, he beat a random guy, and couldn't finish him with like 10 minutes of mount.

sadly this is true

i don't enjoy watching Maia. When he first dropped to welterweight, back a couple years ago, i was excited and he put on a couple of impressive performances. Recently though i have no interest in watching him fight, and don't think he can beat the top guys in the welterweight or middleweight division .

I like Maia a lot, but this thread is puzzling.

He'll get a top 10 guy next...people hate on him but if his cardio were better he'd probably have continued dominating rory like he did in the first round and won a dominat ud...and people say rorys in the title hunt. With better cardio, he's a tough out for anyone and his cardio has been better before, a la the shields fight he went all 5

Maia isnt in the picture, when it gets to the top 5/6 guys his jiu-jitz doesnt become a factor and he looks weak.

If Jake Shields got cut for the Lombard loss, Maia should have been cut for the Rory loss.

Not a Maia fan myself, but I'm also wondering if people round here have short memories. As previously stated, it's only 2-3 fights ago he was bossing Dong, Story and Fitch.

Also, has anyone considered that his most recent performance may have been down to the quality of his opponent? It can be hard to get motivated when it's not a 'big fight' for you (Diego against Hathaway, for example). They do say that fighting the best brings the best out in you.

He looked very pedestrian against Shields who apparently isn't even UFC worthy.

If Shields is "too boring" for the UFC roster, Maia damn sure isn't anywhere near title contention.

I really like watching maia,but really his one dimensional game simply works better at 170.

its still one dimensional. If he cant get the fight to the ground,he really aint dangerous.

He wasn't a random guy. That random guy was coming off a win over Paul Daley who is a good win for anybody.

So he was able to decision daley, i didn't watch it but let me guess, he out grappled him?

If not it is quite impressive then.

Still not a top 20 win though, and wouldn't put maia in the "title picture".

For beating some random noob? I like Maia, but no, he's got a ways to go before he's considered in the title picture again.

Maia is nowhere near title contention. Where in the hell did that stupid idea come from?

With that said, who should he fight next?

Lawler/Brown gets Hendricks, Macdonald/Woodley winner will probably fight Lombard/Dong winner for next title shot, that leaves Saffiedine, Pyle, maybe Nelson or Gastelum if they win their scheduled fights.

I'd really like to see Nelson-Maia, i think it would be amazing grappling match.

back in the title picture? way I saw it, he nowhere near there, 1.5 more mins and he'd get TKO'ed.

Back