Maia is back in the title picture

I wouldn't mind seeing him against Tarec saffiedine.

If one goes into full defensive mode it's pretty much impossible to get subbed. It's not like he had many opportunities and failed. His opponent give up fighting to defend himself.

you have mount, finish via ground and pound maybe?

Maia is on his last legs - I see him retiring from the sport in his next 3-4 fights, he just seems to have gotten a lot older/slower in the last two years.

this.

A decision over yakovlev did very little for him, friend. You sound kinda noobish with this thread. Him vs pierce could still happen. Him vs saffadiene would be awesome.

Lets be honest.

Either he subs a guy quickly, or just out positions them for a full fight.

that's how he wins.

He also is not in the title picture, he beat a random guy, and couldn't finish him with like 10 minutes of mount.

yeah, not a strong win for him. i assume the opponent is pretty tough to survive mount as long as he did, but he's a relative unknown so it's not much of a feather in maia's cap.

he got pretty dominated by rory and hasn't looked good in a while. and he's not a young fighter.

yeah, not a strong win for him. i assume the opponent is pretty tough to survive mount as long as he did, but he's a relative unknown so it's not much of a feather in maia's cap.

he got pretty dominated by rory
and hasn't looked good in a while. and he's not a young fighter.

No he didn't. Rory clearly won two rounds but that was no way a domination.

I still want to see Maia vs. Koscheck. That fight was supposed to happen anyway.

ufc163.jpg

No he didn't. Rory clearly won two rounds but that was no way a domination.

well he was thoroughly spent after one round and couldn't do anything thereafter. not a strong fight at all. made me wonder when he's going to retire.

Maia's striking and overall fight IQ is too mediocre for him to ever become a champion. I really hope he breaks that wall one day but he's 36 and time is running out. Maia can beast anybody in the UFC the ground on a good day but even at his best he's always looked subpar on the feet and transitioning from striking to grappling.

Did we miss the Shields fight?

Actually, I want to see Sonnen x Maia II. As sub prone as Chael is I'm confident he would steam roll Maia this time around.

I think Chael would finish him on the ground as Maia is gassed to exhaustion in the 3rd round or Chael doesn't TKO him.

Maia should be cut in my opinion. He is boring as hell, expensive and nowhere near to top 8.

Wins against dong Kim, rick story, and john Fitch in a row, razor close loss to Jake shields and a fairly competitive fight with Rory McDonald (slightly better conditioning being the difference) and you're telling me he's not close to top 8? He's top 10. So are you a troll or an idiot?

well he was thoroughly spent after one round and couldn't do anything thereafter. not a strong fight at all. made me wonder when he's going to retire.

If Rory McDonald looks like that against a person who should retire then I want to know why we aren't talking about Rory being ranked too high and being a horrible fighter.

Wins against dong Kim, rick story, and john Fitch in a row, razor close loss to Jake shields and a fairly competitive fight with Rory McDonald (slightly better conditioning being the difference) and you're telling me he's not close to top 8? He's top 10. So are you a troll or an idiot?

Girls.png

If Rory McDonald looks like that against a person who should retire then I want to know why we aren't talking about Rory being ranked too high and being a horrible fighter.

i didn't say he should retire. i just don't see maia making any run for a title. he's on the downside of his career.

also your sig is ridiculously out of date.

Maia should be back in the title picture for being put over by a fighter nobody has ever heard of? No. Just no. The only reason they even lined Maia up with that ham and egger was because he'd easily be able to kick the shit out of him in front of the Brazilian crowd. It was a joke of a fight and Maia should be fighting better competition. I'm trying to imagine a scenario where they give Condit a cupcake opponent when he gets back and I just can't.

Back