Luke Thomas's Opinion On Rousey vs Cyborg At Catchweight

Dolce said Cyborg can make 135 as soon as UFC purchased Strike Force. If u dont know who Lockhart is, then u gotta do your research and dont be lazy.

How does Ronda have an advantage at 135, if Cyborg can make 135 twice at Invicta?? Cyborg is the only one that wants a 15-20 advantage. Holms and Nunes are basically the same frame of Cyborg, except they never tested positive for steroids or choose to have a bulky frame

Well if she does have 15-20 pounds on Ronda cutting to 135 is obviously going to be more of a struggle for her than for Ronda. Nunes and Holm have the same frame as Cyborg? No.

IF you want to say Cyborg has messed with her body so much to the point where its not the body of a woman and Ronda only fights women thats fine. But holding her failed test against her forever isn't fair, either suspend her for life or get over it. I get theres a good chance shes still on something, but at least let her fail a test again first.

no, I think it is only you who chose to ignore the fact Ronda can gain some muscle between now and the fight time.

Only you chose to ignore they can fight at 140, forcing Cyborg to drain herself beyond 145 Lbs.

And let us not forget that Ronda was willing to fight Gina at 145... and the fact she did fight at 145 already and won all her matches, proving it is not as terrible as you try to convey...:icon_lol:

Why would Ronda add muscle? Muscle is heavier and can make u gas more, also technique is more important than muscle.

Watch Ronda vs Stratford, Budd and Tweet. Ronda is fighting at BW where it shows her skill in full display. Similar to MM goin to FlyWeight and similar to Lawler goin to WW where he is champ

Sheet with you analogy, then we should make Jedy add some muscle and make her fight Ronda at 135 or 130, so Ronda can have a nice weight advantage come fight day. It make way more sense

Well if she does have 15-20 pounds on Ronda cutting to 135 is obviously going to be more of a struggle for her than for Ronda. Nunes and Holm have the same frame as Cyborg? No.

IF you want to say Cyborg has messed with her body so much to the point where its not the body of a woman and Ronda only fights women thats fine. But holding her failed test against her forever isn't fair, either suspend her for life or get over it. I get theres a good chance shes still on something, but at least let her fail a test again first.

"Well if she does have 15-20 pounds on Ronda cutting to 135 is obviously going to be more of a struggle for her than for Ronda"

Got daaaam u ignorant people are funny, its not like 2 of the best Nutritionist in Lockhart and Dolce have said Cyborg cant make 135 right?? .......oh wait

Cyborg, Holms and Nunes are 5'8, except Cyborg has tested positive for roids and still wants to have a bulky frame, otherwise they would be pretty similar

He's right about the hypocrisy though. MMA fans blasting the UFC because of the IV ban, then saying Cyborg should have to fight Rousey at 135. A weight she clearly can't make and still be healthy.

"Well if she does have 15-20 pounds on Ronda cutting to 135 is obviously going to be more of a struggle for her than for Ronda"

Got daaaam u ignorant people are funny, its not like 2 of the best Nutritionist in Lockhart and Dolce have said Cyborg cant make 135 right?? .......oh wait

Cyborg, Holms and Nunes are 5'8, except Cyborg has tested positive for roids and still wants to have a bulky frame, otherwise they would be pretty similar

Making the weight and making the weight healthily and still being a potent fighter are two different things. Dolce got BJ Penn down to 145, he didn't get him there in fight shape.

http://youtu.be/gneYLI3KUHE

Luke Thomas talks about why he thinks Rousey and Cyborg at 140 makes perfect sense and argues against its naysayers. Here on Sherdog you have Rousey's nuthugging white knights who argue all sorts of reasons why there shouldn't be a Catchweight fight between the two women. With Luke, I think you have an unbiased third party who can articulate the reasons why a Catchweight fight makes sense for both fighters.

Starts at 1:04 almost near the end of the video.

so, because there are many of us that disagree with you, you thought posting some random video of somebody else would change our minds? Are you that dense? If I posted a video of some other person that agreed with me (that Rousey/UFC has no longterm incentive to fight cyborg at a catchweight), would it change your mind? No? Great...life moves on.

Why on earth do people have such a problem with others having their own opinion? What exactly fuels the desire for others to agree with you? Are you that insecure about your own beliefs and opinions?

Making the weight and making the weight healthily and still being a potent fighter are two different things. Dolce got BJ Penn down to 145, he didn't get him there in fight shape.

Lockhart has stated he can get Cyborg to 135 healthy and at best fighting shape. But if haters or Cyborg believe that she wont make 135 safe than yall need to forget the fight. Only one fighter makes millions and doesnt need the fight and will go on to be a hall of famer.

Its the betas insecure males that think that fight needs to happen. When a lot of people already know who would win. Its really the Ronda haters holding for dear life that Cyborg poses a threat to Ronda. Only one fighter has improved and keeps improving over the last 2 years.

Dont be mad when Ronda wins, get Glad

this, luke thomas needs to go away

Even Tommy Toe Hold has better argument than Luke. I watch Luke all the time, but he is not digging deep on all variables that will factor in the fight, he smart but not on this subject

http://youtu.be/gneYLI3KUHE

Luke Thomas talks about why he thinks Rousey and Cyborg at 140 makes perfect sense and argues against its naysayers. Here on Sherdog you have Rousey's nuthugging white knights who argue all sorts of reasons why there shouldn't be a Catchweight fight between the two women. With Luke, I think you have an unbiased third party who can articulate the reasons why a Catchweight fight makes sense for both fighters.

Starts at 1:04 almost near the end of the video.

couple things first the reason i don't want the catch weight is what happens after Ronda whips on cyborg what then? who is left, the naysayers already claim she only wins because her division is to shallow now she moves up and beats a woman who everybody knows is huge.. what then now maybe Ronda too big for 135?

2. only us die hards even know who cyborg is really... i tested it with even weakest casuals and they remember Gina but not cyborg or they do but didn't know she still fighting.. if cyborg can make weight do the fight if not save it for the last one not because we are scare of cyborg but where does Ronda go from there... holm? hjahah

I didn't say she cant make the weight, it's funny how you say fighting at a higher weight is an advantage for Cyborg, but going lower isn't an advantage for Ronda. Have either of those guys ever worked with Cyborg, if not why are you taking their word as gospel?

How the hell do you know what she would look like without steroids? maybe shed be skinnier than all of them. Their frames right now are not the same that's what matters.

I get it she cheated, and I'm happy they are getting tougher with the testing. But if you have a basic understanding of the history of this sport you'll also understand the climate alot of these fighters have come up in.

Like I said I wouldn't go up to face her either, but you're acting as if Ronda's above wanting an competitive edge.

People actually believe Cyborg woul beat Ronda!!! Wow!!! She will arm bar her in the first round!!! This will not be a striking match up....it will go the ground and be ended there!

Never heard of this clown before.

Lockhart has stated he can get Cyborg to 135 healthy and at best fighting shape. But if haters or Cyborg believe that she wont make 135 safe than yall need to forget the fight. Only one fighter makes millions and doesnt need the fight and will go on to be a hall of famer.

Its the betas insecure males that think that fight needs to happen. When a lot of people already know who would win. Its really the Ronda haters holding for dear life that Cyborg poses a threat to Ronda. Only one fighter has improved and keeps improving over the last 2 years.

Dont be mad when Ronda wins, get Glad

That's a lot of insecurity in a post calling other people insecure. You're right that the fight doesn't need to happen though. Ronda will go down as the WMMA goat regardless. Cyborg needs the fight more at this point. Ronda doesn't have to go anywhere, she's the champ at 135, she's the big draw. She holds all of the cards. The fight will or won't happen on her terms (It won't.) She has every right to stay at 135. The problem is that Cyborg at 135 won't be Cyborg. Not that it matters, it will still be considered to be the crowning jewel of Rousey's career.

no, I think it is only you who chose to ignore the fact Ronda can gain some muscle between now and the fight time.

Only you chose to ignore they can fight at 140, forcing Cyborg to drain herself beyond 145 Lbs.

And let us not forget that Ronda was willing to fight Gina at 145... and the fact she did fight at 145 already and won all her matches, proving it is not as terrible as you try to convey...:icon_lol:

Well gee, not too long ago Cyborg sure seemed confident she could make 135 and would have no problem beating Rousey at that weight. To quote:

"Now I know critics will say ‘I thought you said you would die if you made 135.’ All I’m promising is that I will give 100 percent to try to get to 135 to make this plan happen. If I do, I will still listen to my doctor’s advice and fight no more than three times at 135: first to win the Invicta belt, the second time to kick your ass and the third time to kick your ass again so that the world can see it wasn’t luck. You can even have me tested every week up to the fight. That way you will not have an excuse after I kick your ass.”

She was all about it a year and a half ago and then abandoned that plan? As far as what everyone can see she never even tried to cut at all.

Luckily for Cyborg, Ronda is making it look SO easy that now even casuals who've never heard of Cris are asking "Is there anyone who can even last a couple minutes with Rousey?" So this fight will get some steam behind it and maybe if Cris shows ANY motivation to drop SOME weight we'll get to see it a catchweight or something.

I'm just hoping there's some Cyborg bettors out there somewhere. I was thinking I might get decent odds on Rousey for this one fight but seems like she'll be pretty heavily favored even against Cyborg. I need the Cyborg backers to toss some cash on her...

Cyborg also dont want the UFC stricter random drug testing.Cyborg doesnt want a repeat of her first fight. Sheep gonna Sheep

Isn't Cyborg already subject to the UFC's new out of competition random drug testing program, having signed a UFC contract?

"Now I know critics will say ‘I thought you said you would die if you made 135.’ All I’m promising is that I will give 100 percent to try to get to 135 to make this plan happen. If I do, I will still listen to my doctor’s advice and fight no more than three times at 135: first to win the Invicta belt, the second time to kick your ass and the third time to kick your ass again so that the world can see it wasn’t luck. You can even have me tested every week up to the fight. That way you will not have an excuse after I kick your ass.”

Cyborg has said so much conflicting stuff that you literally can't believe anything she says. On Saturday she tweeted that her next fight would be at 140. Not sure what the purpose of that would be. Last month, she was planning on defending her 145lb belt next in Invicta.

Saying that she will do all she can to "try to get to 135" isn't the same thing as being confident that she could do it.

The only way this fight happens is if it's at 140, and Ronda announces this is her last fight.

Cyborg can't make 135. There's no debating that. Even if she does ONCE just for her fight with Ronda, she won't be able to do it consistently. So what would even be the point of her fighting at 135 and possibly taking Ronda's belt if she can't even make weight in that weight class?

The UFC has everything to lose, and veryyyyyy little to gain with Cyborg fighting Ronda at 135 if Cyborg were to actually beat Rousey. But if it's Ronda's last fight, it would make perfect sense for them to set up Ronda vs. Cyborg at a catchweight of 140. That fight would be one of the biggest fights in UFC history.

Last edited:
Why do they need to do anything with Cyborg. Rousey and Cyborg is the matchup we all want to see, just market it as a superfight. They were going to do it with GSP and Anderson, why not with these two?

Right ON

Back