Luke Thomas's Opinion On Rousey vs Cyborg At Catchweight

Hardkore

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
http://youtu.be/gneYLI3KUHE

Luke Thomas talks about why he thinks Rousey and Cyborg at 140 makes perfect sense and argues against its naysayers. Here on Sherdog you have Rousey's nuthugging white knights who argue all sorts of reasons why there shouldn't be a Catchweight fight between the two women. With Luke, I think you have an unbiased third party who can articulate the reasons why a Catchweight fight makes sense for both fighters.

Starts at 1:04 almost near the end of the video.

But Luke Thomas' opinions are shit.

http://youtu.be/gneYLI3KUHE

Luke Thomas talks about why he thinks Rousey and Cyborg at 140 makes perfect sense and argues against its naysayers. Here on Sherdog you have Rousey's nuthugging white knights who argue all sorts of reasons why there shouldn't be a Catchweight fight between the two women. With Luke, I think you have an unbiased third party who can articulate the reasons why a Catchweight fight makes sense for both fighters.

Starts at 1:04 almost near the end of the video.

So if you think the fight ought to be at 135, you are a nut-hugging white knight.
If you think it should be at 140, you are articulate and unbiased.

Lol.

So if you think the fight ought to be at 135, you are a nut-hugging white knight.

Lol.

Actually he makes clear reasons why 140 makes sense for both women, and yes I believe he is unbiased in his reasoning.

i'm no groundhog expert but what the hell difference do 5 pounds make? i'm not one to push for a ronda-cyborg fight. if they do it, ok, i'll watch, if not, fine, whatever.

i am sure there are technical issues at stake i know nothing of. but practically, what is the difference between 140 and 135. because it's clear they will both be over 150 in there if when they fight. i haven;t been following the forums so closely so maybe the answer is already around here somewhere.

Actually he makes clear reasons why 140 makes sense for both women, and yes I believe he is unbiased in his reasoning.

My comment was not about whether Luke Thomas is biased. It was to show the obvious bias in the OP.

Don't agree with Thomas at all. If Rousey loses at ANY weight it shatters her image. The entire premise of her popularity is that non-MMA fans believe she would beat any woman on the planet, and many believe she would beat nearly any man. Even if she were to Garcia or some ridiculous size mismatch it would break the illusion.

Lol.

This.

TS, you should've utilized better word choice for the OP. You should also realize, that despite you agreeing wholeheartedly with Luke Thomas, there can be a good case that doesn't follow Luke's nor your opinion.

It doesn't make much sense for the UFC though. Unless Ronda was about to retire. What would they do with Cyborg if she wins? She would then have destroyed the undefeated allure of Ronda, but wouldn't be the champ, and wouldn't have a division to fight in.

i'm no groundhog expert but what the hell difference do 5 pounds make? i'm not one to push for a ronda-cyborg fight. if they do it, ok, i'll watch, if not, fine, whatever.

i am sure there are technical issues at stake i know nothing of. but practically, what is the difference between 140 and 135. because it's clear they will both be over 150 in there if when they fight. i haven;t been following the forums so closely so maybe the answer is already around here somewhere.

Yea I hear you, sounds like 5 pounds isn't a lot, but I think Cyborg is near the amount of weight she can cut.

Surely the UFC is not going to want to promote Cyborg unless she fights in a division they promote fights in? Five pounds is nothing, she needs to cut the damn weight.

This.

TS, you should've utilized better word choice for the OP. You should also realize, that despite you agreeing wholeheartedly with Luke Thomas, there can be a good case that doesn't follow Luke's nor your opinion.

It's the fight everyone wants to see. Plus she still retains her belt. It's all opinion here on Sherdog, I'm not going to be upset if you don't agree with it.

You're not going to put your money, promotion and marketing muscle behind a fighter for a one off fight unless they're bringing major juice to the table.

Cyborg has a whopping 78.5K followers on twitter. That's less than Miesha Tate (382K) and only marginally more than Paige VanZant (73.5K). Cyborg's has never drawn significant numbers on PPV, and has never had any real audience other than the Carano fight (Carano was the main draw).

This is what selling fights for Ronda has come to: Twitter followers

It doesn't make much sense for the UFC though. Unless Ronda was about to retire. What would they do with Cyborg if she wins? She would then have destroyed the undefeated allure of Ronda, but wouldn't be the champ, and wouldn't have a division to fight in.

Why do they need to do anything with Cyborg. Rousey and Cyborg is the matchup we all want to see, just market it as a superfight. They were going to do it with GSP and Anderson, why not with these two?

Don't take Luke Thomas as an unbiased third party TS.

Thomas chooses an angle before hand and works backwards. He just picks controversial angles to get more twitter follows and youtube views. There is no journalistic integrity in what he does.

i am sure there are technical issues at stake i know nothing of. but practically, what is the difference between 140 and 135.

135 would be for a UFC title in a division where they have held over 50 fights since 2013 and expect to have hundreds more in the next decade.

140 would be for nothing, and then later Cyborg would claim it wasn't the right weight for her anyway.

Back