Luke Thomas's Opinion On Rousey vs Cyborg At Catchweight

Well gee, not too long ago Cyborg sure seemed confident she could make 135 and would have no problem beating Rousey at that weight. To quote:

"Now I know critics will say ‘I thought you said you would die if you made 135.’ All I’m promising is that I will give 100 percent to try to get to 135 to make this plan happen. If I do, I will still listen to my doctor’s advice and fight no more than three times at 135: first to win the Invicta belt, the second time to kick your ass and the third time to kick your ass again so that the world can see it wasn’t luck. You can even have me tested every week up to the fight. That way you will not have an excuse after I kick your ass.”

She was all about it a year and a half ago and then abandoned that plan? As far as what everyone can see she never even tried to cut at all.

Luckily for Cyborg, Ronda is making it look SO easy that now even casuals who've never heard of Cris are asking "Is there anyone who can even last a couple minutes with Rousey?" So this fight will get some steam behind it and maybe if Cris shows ANY motivation to drop SOME weight we'll get to see it a catchweight or something.

I'm just hoping there's some Cyborg bettors out there somewhere. I was thinking I might get decent odds on Rousey for this one fight but seems like she'll be pretty heavily favored even against Cyborg. I need the Cyborg backers to toss some cash on her...

Lucky for me?
LOL!
you mean, unlucky for all whiteknights?

I seriously don't understand how retards can be against the ONLY fight that makes sense to a star such as Ronda.

If she is as great as you brainless people think she is, then why not prove it?

If Cyborg is so terrible as whiteknights make her to be, then why not humiliate her?

it amazes me the lack of logic on this topic! :icon_twis

It is just beyond me to understand how a person that only wants the best fight they can get is somehow associated with Hate towards a fighter..

Oh! You want her to fight Cyborg? you must be a hater!!! That alone speaks volumes of how afraid YOU are of this fight.

Yes, it is much better to feed Ronda of undeserving girls, so you can somehow feel she is unbeatable...even though you KNOW she is fighting lesser competition. SMH

Last edited:
The only way this fight happens is if it's at 140, and Ronda announces this is her last fight.

Cyborg can't make 135. There's no debating that. Even if she does ONCE just for her fight with Ronda, she won't be able to do it consistently. So what would even be the point of her fighting at 135 and possibly taking Ronda's belt if she can't even make weight in that weight class?

The UFC has everything to lose, and veryyyyyy little to gain with Cyborg fighting Ronda at 135 if Cyborg were to actually beat Rousey. But if it's Ronda's last fight, it would make perfect sense for them to set up Ronda vs. Cyborg at a catchweight of 140. That fight would be one of the biggest fights in UFC history.

Cyborg wouldn't be taking Ronda's belt at 135. No way she can get down to that weight and be in fight shape. There's a reason the UFC is adamant that the fight would have to be at 135.

Getting really tired of this sh*t.

Ronda Rousey is the 135lb Champion ..... CHAMPION, she is defending a belt in a weight category, she's also the biggest pay day Cyborg will ever see, Ronda doesn't need to do anything, she is there and waiting.

Also and Ronda's roid comments backs up what I thought, Ronda wants Cyborg to make weight to drop that roid muscle she's built up over the years and rightfully so.

Cyborg has all the reasons to make weight, Ronda has none, people talking sh*t are just desperate to see a fight but not blaming Cyborg for not getting it done.

Cris Cyborg has the balls to fight against Ronda Rousey. She just doesn't want to give them up...

I was statin BJ penn fighting GSP was different, GSP was never a proven cheater. Also BJpenn fought at different era's. BJ fought Machida back then and brought this funky stance to fight Edgar. I dont hate BJpenn at all, i just think he made some choices that seem very questionable.

Meisha doesnt want to fight Cyborg at 145 either, geeee i wonder why, maybe cause it only makes sense if Cyborg makes 135 and fights at an even level playing field where we can actually if she is as good without her 15-20 pound advantage

Again you come back with two completely unrelated and stupid points.

1) BJ Penn and his choices of fighting style against Frankie has NOTHING to do with the subject.
2) BJ Penn fought guys that outweigh him a lot more than what Cyborg would Ronda.
3) Not one person thought that a loss at MW or CW against Machida somehow demeaned him as a LW champ. (which was my point and it remains true).

And finally, just to end your dumb point of Miesha, Don't you know she did agree to fight Cyborg at 140 (link here)... Ronda didn't...
Sooooo...you were saying???? :redface:

Why would Ronda add muscle? Muscle is heavier and can make u gas more, also technique is more important than muscle.

Watch Ronda vs Stratford, Budd and Tweet. Ronda is fighting at BW where it shows her skill in full display. Similar to MM goin to FlyWeight and similar to Lawler goin to WW where he is champ

Sheet with you analogy, then we should make Jedy add some muscle and make her fight Ronda at 135 or 130, so Ronda can have a nice weight advantage come fight day. It make way more sense

Right.
get a girl who fights 20 Lbs lower than Ronda, and you claim it is BETTER than Cyborg, who fights 10 Lbs above Ronda...

So you double the difference, and yet it makes MORE sense to you??? ROFL!!!
Want to re-think your example??? You kind of shot yourself on the foot here! :icon_lol:

Last edited:
Why do they need to do anything with Cyborg. Rousey and Cyborg is the matchup we all want to see, just market it as a superfight. They were going to do it with GSP and Anderson, why not with these two?

Because Dana didn't give a fuck who won. He hated GSP and knew Anderson was on way out.

Because Dana didn't give a fuck who won. He hated GSP and knew Anderson was on way out.

and do you think ROnda will stay for much longer???
I ask this seriously, because she even said she will leave the sport whenever she eels like (She is basically waiting for more/better movie roles)...

Same as COnor, BTW.
They both are the cash cows, and I feel they both have absolutely no loyalty to the UFC. the second they get something more lucrative, they will leave.

GSP and Silva (at least) stayed throughout their careers with Zuffa...

Yea I hear you, sounds like 5 pounds isn't a lot, but I think Cyborg is near the amount of weight she can cut.

FOR THE LAST FUCKING TIME.. CYBORG SHOULD BE LOSING MUSCLE MASS NOT CUTTING MORE WEIGHT

Seriously, its like you retards selectively hear what you want to hear and completely forget what the counter arguments are. No one is asking Cyborg to cut more weight, we ask that she drop 5lbs of muscle she gained through steroid use and fight at the weight she started at. In the UFC, for the title. The way it should be

FOR THE LAST FUCKING TIME.. CYBORG SHOULD BE LOSING MUSCLE MASS NOT CUTTING MORE WEIGHT

Seriously, its like you retards selectively hear what you want to hear and completely forget what the counter arguments are. No one is asking Cyborg to cut more weight, we ask that she drop 5lbs of muscle she gained through steroid use and fight at the weight she started at. In the UFC, for the title. The way it should be

She cuts too much weight as it is.

For UFC it doesnt make sense to risk Ronda losing for a fighter they cant do anything with.

This isnt like any other catchweight fight, its not GSP/Bj where both go back to their own divs and UFC promotes them both.

What happens if Cyborg wins? Ronda isnt P4P best anymore, isnt unbeaten and Cyborg does what? Goes back to invicta? You think UFC is gonna pay her salary in Invicta after? Goes to Bellator? Gives them the top P4P fighter?

Do they create the worst UFC div of all time just to do Cyborg vs Peggy Morgan?

Do they do one off random fights with a random BW moving up?

Maybe they do at some point but I think it only happens if/when Ronda cant draw PPV anymore and that doesnt seem like its happening anytime soon.

Looks like this PPV did better than the 600k 184 did, if thats the case why does Ronda have to give in to Cyborgs demands, why does UFC have to do it?

Sure as fans we all want to see it but neither UFC or Ronda have to do it at this point, thats why fight isnt gonna get done unless Cyborg makes the weight.

What??? That makes no sense when it's undisputed that GSP was their PPV cash cow, they've gone on record that he along with Brock were their best draws.

Don't agree with Thomas at all. If Rousey loses at ANY weight it shatters her image. The entire premise of her popularity is that non-MMA fans believe she would beat any woman on the planet, and many believe she would beat nearly any man. Even if she were to Garcia or some ridiculous size mismatch it would break the illusion.

Crushing cans>legit competition I see...

Actually he makes clear reasons why 140 makes sense for both women, and yes I believe he is unbiased in his reasoning.

Really? What are the clear reasons? I didn't hear any.

And if the fight at 140 makes sense for both fighters (and presumably for the UFC as well) then what's his conspiracy theory on why it isn't happening? I didn't here that either.

Here's the reality of the situation, and please counter my assertions if you see anything wrong with them:

Cyborg has by far the most to gain from this fight and the least to lose. Just getting the fight means far and away the biggest payday of her career. Winning means she automatically gains a huge portion of the status and popularity and earning potential that Ronda and the UFC have fostered. And even if she loses, just the fight promotion alone probably puts her in a better position to profit from fights to follow than she'd be if the fight never happened. It's virtually all reward, no risk for Cyborg.

Ronda, on the other hand, has a ton to lose and not a whole hell of a lot to gain. Yes, it's a big money foght for her, but it's not like she isn't already making big money, and this fight might give her, say, a one time 25%-50% bump in her paycheck. Add to that the fact that most of the world has never even heard of Cyborg and already considers Ronda the baddest woman on the planet, and even a win doesn't vastly improve her status from where it's already at in the eyes of most. If she loses, though, the whole image falls down, and along with the image she loses a ton of earning power.

And then you have Zuffa, who has fostered this champion who, based on appearance alone, looks pretty much on par athletically with pretty much everyone who she competes against, right until the buzzer sounds and she crushes them in short order. She's like a human ATM for them. That doesn't improve dramatically even if she fights Cyborg and wins. But if she loses, everything changes. Not only does Ronda's status suffers, but now there's mainstream knowledge of this woman who looks like a man who is the baddest woman on the planet, but who is unpromotable because no one wants to watch a woman who looks like a man beat up women who look like women, but on the other hand her very existence undermines the marketability of all the other woman fighters.

prize fighting is a business. And clearly, businesswise, this fight is all about Cyborg. She's the one who stands to gain and profit the most, and stands to risk and lose the least.

Now you explain to me why she's not the one who should be making the concessions.

Well if she does have 15-20 pounds on Ronda cutting to 135 is obviously going to be more of a struggle for her than for Ronda. Nunes and Holm have the same frame as Cyborg? No.

IF you want to say Cyborg has messed with her body so much to the point where its not the body of a woman and Ronda only fights women thats fine. But holding her failed test against her forever isn't fair, either suspend her for life or get over it. I get theres a good chance shes still on something, but at least let her fail a test again first.

That's Luke's whole contention, even if she was able to make 135, she'd be less than 100% if they're going to fight I want them close to full strength so there's no excuses.
And other fighters have been popped, done their penance and moved on, are you really going to keep punishing her for her infraction that was 3 years ago?

Really? What are the clear reasons? I didn't hear any.

And if the fight at 140 makes sense for both fighters (and presumably for the UFC as well) then what's his conspiracy theory on why it isn't happening? I didn't here that either.

Here's the reality of the situation, and please counter my assertions if you see anything wrong with them:

Cyborg has by far the most to gain from this fight and the least to lose. Just getting the fight means far and away the biggest payday of her career. Winning means she automatically gains a huge portion of the status and popularity and earning potential that Ronda and the UFC have fostered. And even if she loses, just the fight promotion alone probably puts her in a better position to profit from fights to follow than she'd be if the fight never happened. It's virtually all reward, no risk for Cyborg.

Ronda, on the other hand, has a ton to lose and not a whole hell of a lot to gain. Yes, it's a big money foght for her, but it's not like she isn't already making big money, and this fight might give her, say, a one time 25%-50% bump in her paycheck. Add to that the fact that most of the world has never even heard of Cyborg and already considers Ronda the baddest woman on the planet, and even a win doesn't vastly improve her status from where it's already at in the eyes of most. If she loses, though, the whole image falls down, and along with the image she loses a ton of earning power.

And then you have Zuffa, who has fostered this champion who, based on appearance alone, looks pretty much on par athletically with pretty much everyone who she competes against, right until the buzzer sounds and she crushes them in short order. She's like a human ATM for them. That doesn't improve dramatically even if she fights Cyborg and wins. But if she loses, everything changes. Not only does Ronda's status suffers, but now there's mainstream knowledge of this woman who looks like a man who is the baddest woman on the planet, but who is unpromotable because no one wants to watch a woman who looks like a man beat up women who look like women, but on the other hand her very existence undermines the marketability of all the other woman fighters.

prize fighting is a business. And clearly, businesswise, this fight is all about Cyborg. She's the one who stands to gain and profit the most, and stands to risk and lose the least.

Now you explain to me why she's not the one who should be making the concessions.

How is it concessions? Even if she were to lose she still retains her title, everyone including her knows that she's cleaned out the division and no one is going to beat her at 135. Why should she deny cyborg a fight, when she's willing to fight Gina at 145, and who's so far removed from the game, and she can supposedly beat up men? Ronda said she's the baddest woman in WMMA, but she doesn't want to do it against someone who can actually beat her.

Back