Luke Thomas's Opinion On Rousey vs Cyborg At Catchweight

It's the fight everyone wants to see. Plus she still retains her belt. It's all opinion here on Sherdog, I'm not going to be upset if you don't agree with it.

It's not whether or not I agree with it, nor about if you're upset or not. I was simply stating that you could've put the OP together better so more people can give Luke's opinion the chance you think it deserves.

I don't care what weight it happens at, regardless, I think going the route where Cyborg gets nothing she wants and has to cut to 135 is a proper late punishment for her actions, but it doesn't matter what weight she's at when she fights Ronda Rousey, a Judo gal, who seemingly now has developed power in her hands.

Don't take Luke Thomas as an unbiased third party TS.

Thomas chooses an angle before hand and works backwards. He just picks controversial angles to get more twitter follows and youtube views. There is no journalistic integrity in what he does.

It's a topic that been talked about for years, Thomas is just addressing it as there aren't too many challenges left for Rousey. Do we really need to see Rousey-Tate 3? So what if the guy picks up views on YouTube or gets Twitter followers? It's not like the guy is making shit up or distorting facts, he's simply making his opinions known why a Catchweight makes sense for both parties.

Instead of 140, I'd rather they make the fight at 145 and make it for the inaugural UFC women's featherweight championship. Then if Ronda wins, she can toss the belt in the trash and dissolve the division after one fight because nobody else actually fights at that weight.

It's not whether or not I agree with it, nor about if you're upset or not. I was simply stating that you could've put the OP together better so more people can give Luke's opinion the chance you think it deserves.

I don't care what weight it happens at, regardless, I think going the route where Cyborg gets nothing she wants and has to cut to 135 is a proper late punishment for her actions, but it doesn't matter what weight she's at when she fights Ronda Rousey, a Judo gal, who seemingly now has developed power in her hands.

Maybe you're right, I just think this guy makes the most sense.

http://youtu.be/gneYLI3KUHE

Luke Thomas talks about why he thinks Rousey and Cyborg at 140 makes perfect sense and argues against its naysayers. Here on Sherdog you have Rousey's nuthugging white knights who argue all sorts of reasons why there shouldn't be a Catchweight fight between the two women. With Luke, I think you have an unbiased third party who can articulate the reasons why a Catchweight fight makes sense for both fighters.

Starts at 1:04 almost near the end of the video.

Except Cybro signed a contract which stipulates that she has to make 135 lbs before she'll get a shot at Rousey.

Any talk of Catchweight bouts are moot at this point because of Cybro signing that contract.

Except Cybro signed a contract which stipulates that she has to make 135 lbs before she'll get a shot at Rousey.

Any talk of Catchweight bouts are moot at this point because of Cybro signing that contract.

Oh you don't think Dana wouldn't allow a change in her contract considering the money to be made and all the attention it would receive?

He has incredible biases but he's right on this despite that fact.

Why doesn't she just lose 5 pounds and get to 135?

Just shut up and lose the weight already.

Ronda's post fight press conference comment on the the issue was basically, "She can fight at 145 pumped full of steroids or she can get off them and lose the weight.".

Seems pretty reasonable to me.

Who can't drop 10lbs over a period of years after they get off of steroids?

For the kind of money they're talking about the only rational answer is: Cyborg doesn't really want the fight. She just wants to use the Rousey name for extra attention.

140 seems pointless and specific. If they don't do it at 135 for the title then they might as well just do 145, which is Cyborg's current weight class and Rousey's former weight class.

Rousey is the big name here, and she can carry on having showcase fights that make money. Cyborg needs Rousey for that payday. It's up to her whether she wants to drop the weight to do the fight and make money. It's an unfortunate situation but that's the way it is. When the biggest threat to the UFC's biggest star fights in a different division, then why don't the UFC just make that division? 145 should be in the UFC. It's all pretty silly.

Luke Thomas is again on point and nails it.

6 fights in the UFC...

This isn't even a fight you make now unless Cyborg wants to cut down. Moving up in weight should only happen if a champ cleans out her division. Ronda still has a few more fights before that happens. i dont understand why the incessant saber rattling for this fight. I don't think it would be anymore competitive than Ronda's other fights. The toughest fight Cyborg has ever had was Carano 10 years ago. It does nothing for Ronda. It proves nothing. If i were ronda i would never fight Cyroid unless she came to 135.

135 would be for a UFC title in a division where they have held over 50 fights since 2013 and expect to have hundreds more in the next decade.

140 would be for nothing, and then later Cyborg would claim it wasn't the right weight for her anyway.

true, but if i remember correctly, the fight at 140 used to be a possibility at some point. so it's not a question of principle.

Rousey has the power to turn the most lopsided main events in the sport's history into solid gold, so I'm not sure the UFC has anything to gain by putting her in the cage with perhaps the only other woman on Earth who both knows how to fight and is close to Rousey's size. If it ain't broke...

Back