Local 12 yr old girl commits suicide.. cyber bully

What I don't understand is what the parents of the bullies were doing. Obviously they were aware of their children's behavior if the events were investigated. No child of mine will get away with doing this stuff.

Some of the programs on bullying point out that it could be stopped if everyone that sees it happen would do something about it. Most kids won't confront the bullies because they don't want to become targets. Reporting it to teachers or other adults is advised. Many schools are changing the old policy of having the bullied child move to a different school and are now expelling the students doing the bullying. Those old policies changed because school systems are being sued by the families of victims.

That's actually pretty awesome. Seems like it should have been the solution in the first place.

What I don't understand is what the parents of the bullies were doing. Obviously they were aware of their children's behavior if the events were investigated. No child of mine will get away with doing this stuff.

Yeah, parenting is that easy.

They will never hide anything from you

True story

Cyber bullying is a cake walk compared to get jumped by gangs on the walk home.

Ive never read an article about someone wanting to kill themselves
after being jumped by a gang.
True story.

Yeah, parenting is that easy.

They will never hide anything from you

True story

I dont have kids and dont really plan to. But if I did, there are some things I would get upset with them about, but wouldnt make a huge deal over. If I found out my kids were bullying someone else, I would stop it. I would get the kid and parents contact info, and tell them if it happened again, to contact me immediately. I would let my kid know this, and would make it very clear that if it happened again, it would be a punishment from hell.

Ive never read an article about someone wanting to kill themselves
after being jumped by a gang.
True story.

Oh, well then clearly it never happens since you never saw an article on it

there is nothing more wrong with kids these days then there was in the past.they would be doing this 20 or 30 years ago.some kids dont belong on social media.whats so great about these sites in the first place?

I don't know about this. Has parenting gradually gotten worse over time? Look around, there's more single parents than ever and many of them are terrible. It's not taking too big a logic leap to suggest that worse parenting = worse kids.

Yet, somehow, parents manage not to raise kids with persistent bullying behavior.

Maybe that has more to do with the kids personality than discipline?

I dont have kids and dont really plan to. But if I did, there are some things I would get upset with them about, but wouldnt make a huge deal over. If I found out my kids were bullying someone else, I would stop it. I would get the kid and parents contact info, and tell them if it happened again, to contact me immediately. I would let my kid know this, and would make it very clear that if it happened again, it would be a punishment from hell.

And I agree that's the correct course of action to take. I'm arguing it's not always that easy to figure this stuff out and for someone who doesn't have kids to make it seem so easy.. It just comes across as very naive.

When I was a kid, getting bullied meant getting your ass kicked and humiliated in front of everyone. Not being called gay on a internet chat site.

I look back on kids who were REALLY bullied when I was a kid and I can't begin to imagine how todays kids would have handled it.

Same here. It's a different world now, brother.:eek:

Meh. I dont have kids, but if I did and someones parents came to me telling me their kid was being bullied by my kid, I would put a stop to it right then and give them my phone number to let me know immediately if it happened again. If the opposite was true, I went to a kids parents, and they just blew me off, I would go apeshit too.

I hear you ya man. But threatening to rape his wife? lol

I'd just kick the guys ass.

http://www.medicaldaily.com/rebecca...-are-social-media-apps-breeding-ground-257124

It still gives me the chills driving by the old abandoned cement plant. I wished it did not happen but it did and it felt like a loss in the family. It was big news in the community and having a 12 year old myself it hurt even more. Rebecca Ann Sedwick suppose to go to the school bus stop to get picked up to go to school but she had another thing in her mind and that was the thought of committing suicide. Product of the constant cyber bullying happening in the social media sights she visited. A year before she was bullied at school by as much as 15 other girls prompting the authorities to do an investigation but finally her mother took her out of the school and deleted her facebook account. She began going to another school but somehow her bullies found a way to find her online. Questions still remain on how they were able to find her or was she trying to be accepted by the group. Upon confiscation of the computer and phone used by the girl- messages were found of torment including one that said: Why don't you kill yourself. What sadistic and evil these girls have become. Here is a picture of where I stopped by on early Saturday to see the place where it all happen. I saw posters, balloons, flowers etc and the towers where Rebecca jumped from into the void. She had to have died on impact. Now every time I drive by 92 I see the towers and think of Rebecca and her ordeal. Her mother lives less than a mile away.

9785501115_e1370bc8aa_c.jpg

Sounds like the parents did everything they could to help this girl. Some people can't be helped. Its sad, but its true.

Its a type of natural selection if you will.

Maybe that has more to do with the kids personality than discipline?

In other words, you believe that bullying behavior in children/adolescents is innate and cannot be managed by parenting.

You would be wrong.

Posts like this show how many people dont really realize how brutal kids can be with online bullying these days. Block them or delete your account? Its not that easy. If I started sending you pms harassing you, sure you could just block me. But what if I started threads talking shit about you? And it wasnt just me, but a group of 10 or 15 posters doing this daily? What if you worked with everyone on here, so all your peers saw what we said? What if I had access to pictures of you, and posted them with incredibly mean comments about any flaws in your appearance? And posted them in the pm section asking people to shoop them? The majority of kids are on facebook these days, so when stuff like this happens, even if you avoid it, youre going to hear about it at school. Its not as simple as not being liked. Its kids going out of their way to constantly harass and torment other kids.

I get your point. I personally never really cared what people thought of me so none of that really sounds so bad, but I understand how people, especially a pre-teen/teenage girl could be affected by such a thing.

What ever happened to becoming rich and powerful and then exacting revenge on your enemies from the past?

Sounds like the parents did everything they could to help this girl. Some people can't be helped. Its sad, but its true.

Its a type of natural selection if you will.

I reject, natural selection isn't to be compared with a group of people harrassing another and telling her to suicide. They pushed her from that tower.

Back