Local 12 yr old girl commits suicide.. cyber bully

Yuval Levy

Yuval Levy
@purple
Reaction score
http://www.medicaldaily.com/rebecca...-are-social-media-apps-breeding-ground-257124

It still gives me the chills driving by the old abandoned cement plant. I wished it did not happen but it did and it felt like a loss in the family. It was big news in the community and having a 12 year old myself it hurt even more. Rebecca Ann Sedwick suppose to go to the school bus stop to get picked up to go to school but she had another thing in her mind and that was the thought of committing suicide. Product of the constant cyber bullying happening in the social media sights she visited. A year before she was bullied at school by as much as 15 other girls prompting the authorities to do an investigation but finally her mother took her out of the school and deleted her facebook account. She began going to another school but somehow her bullies found a way to find her online. Questions still remain on how they were able to find her or was she trying to be accepted by the group. Upon confiscation of the computer and phone used by the girl- messages were found of torment including one that said: Why don't you kill yourself. What sadistic and evil these girls have become. Here is a picture of where I stopped by on early Saturday to see the place where it all happen. I saw posters, balloons, flowers etc and the towers where Rebecca jumped from into the void. She had to have died on impact. Now every time I drive by 92 I see the towers and think of Rebecca and her ordeal. Her mother lives less than a mile away.

9785501115_e1370bc8aa_c.jpg

12 years old is too young for social media.
Parents fault for letting her have access to that.
Parents fault for not teaching her how social media works, and the frivolity of cyber bullying.

Parents fault for not teaching her how social media works, and the frivolity of cyber bullying.

No kids huh?

Tragic for the family concerned, and I hope the bullies are punished to the extant the Law allows.

Having said that, it's difficult for me to comprehend actually caring enough what other people think that I would be driven to take my own life over it. To be brutally honest, while I am not sadistic, I am certainly not empathetic either; I see the vast majority of Humans as utterly irrelevant.

The only Humans who's opinion of me I actually care about are the tiny percentage I love and respect, or the slightly larger group who are in a position to help or hinder me. As for everyone outside these two groups, opinions are like arseholes; everybody has one and they're often full of shit.:rolleyes:

sad. what the hell is wrong with kids these days.

This shit needs to stop.

Kid should've grown some thicker skin.

Here here.

Play with fire, get burnt.

What a shame. Kids are fucking evil these days. However, I still feel the parents have a responsibility to teach her about all this social networking bullshit.

Does it matter?
It's called common sense.

Who doesn't talk to their kids about sex, bullying, or drugs?

I think his problem was with your entire comment and smug sense of entitlement to our awe at your awesome powers of hindsight.

1. Its debatable given the fact that EVERYTHING is on facebook, from your school to your gym, that 12 is too young for social media. You're talking about a medium of communication, not a gun.

2. Her parents deleted her facebook and moved her to another school, it's probably reasonable to assume since they went through that trouble that they attempted resolution with the school first - what more would you have done?

3. It's clear that her parents did have a talk with her about bullying and social media. Did you even read the quoted blurb? We're still talking about an impressionable young girl.

I'm not saying that the bullies are responsible at all for her suicide. Still it's silly - and you should be embarrassed to have done this - to think with such sureness and self satisfaction that the complex issue of suicide can solved with laughably simple absolutes like "no facebook would have solved this" or "all you have to do is tell kids about bullying and it'll fix things".

You have a lot of growing up to do man. Suck my balls.

People in general are fucked. Count yourself lucky if you're surrounded by good people. They're few and far between anymore it seems. Sad story.

You have a lot of growing up to do man. Suck my balls.

man i could feel the passion behind that when reading it lol that was the most power felt suck my balls ive read on the internet i think...

Its pretty crazy whats happening these days for so many reasons...

Im trying to think back when i was 12 and i swear i didnt even know what suicide was (probably being dramatic with that)

But yea 12 is way too young for facebook for these exact reasons. Kids are ruthless these days with bullying so its the parents responsibility to know the pain that your kid could go through from bullying on facebook.

Thats obviously not to say that the parents should have seen anything to this extreme coming though...But its a parenting fail all around. Not just on the girl with the facebook, but with everyones kids. I will scare the life out of my kid if i find out hes picking on someone and degrading them.

Dream situation for my kid is to have them not get picked on, have them not pick on anyone else, and to have them friend anyone thats being bullied...Damn parenting is going to be tough.

I have all the respect in the world for you good parents out there

Tragic for the family concerned, and I hope the bullies are punished to the extant the Law allows.

Having said that, it's difficult for me to comprehend actually caring enough what other people think that I would be driven to take my own life over it. To be brutally honest, while I am not sadistic, I am certainly not empathetic either; I see the vast majority of Humans as utterly irrelevant.

The only Humans who's opinion of me I actually care about are the tiny percentage I love and respect, or the slightly larger group who are in a position to help or hinder me. As for everyone outside these two groups, opinions are like arseholes; everybody has one and they're often full of shit.:rolleyes:

I agree with this completely. I remember some people telling me they hated me in high school, I never cared enough about their opinions to want to take my own life over it.

I've seen so much in the media about preventing bullying and teen suicide and all that; honestly, the first step is for teenagers to not cry every time they find out someone doesn't like them.

Of course, the article posted appeared to be much worse than that as this 12 year old girl was apparently harassed for years and years, and it's tragic that she decided that ending her life was the only way out. And it might sound unsympathetic and rude, but this is an honest question of curiosity: if someone is cyber bullying you why don't you just block them or delete your account on whatever form of social media you're using?

sometimes you got to teach kids the 1 2 3 jab straight hook teaching them self defense can go a long way i know not everyone will agree with this

Back