Local 12 yr old girl commits suicide.. cyber bully

Parenting is hard. Usually I try coming up with an answer for things if I can, and even though I understand technology, and bullying behavior, it's just not easy. You can take away technology, but that stunts their ability to fit in. You can give it to them, but then you risk boys pressuring your daughter for nudes, and being a dumb shit teen she might do it just to fit in (even if she's not a slut at all). I could say raise your kids right so that they can handle tech. But that ain't easy. The only thing I can't of to help is to make sure your kids have something in their lives they are proud of. And truly proud of. For boys it's easy, put them in martial arts, supply them with a gym membership somehow so they can get strong. For girls it's a bit harder, but still, any activity to make them proud of themselves. Telling your kids that they are great and special isn't enough. It's better than being a piece of shit and beating them, but to make them into strong well balanced confident people it's not enough. They must truly be proud of themselves.

Bullies are the fucking scum of the earth and if they are the tenacious kind they grow up and join the TSA, CPS or become police officers anything that pays them to bully.

Many schools handle bullies very poorly and with this online shit it's even harder because the schools are stuck in the fucking stone age. The bullies are the ones that need psychiatric help not the victim.

I think his problem was with your entire comment and smug sense of entitlement to our awe at your awesome powers of hindsight.

1. Its debatable given the fact that EVERYTHING is on facebook, from your school to your gym, that 12 is too young for social media. You're talking about a medium of communication, not a gun.

2. Her parents deleted her facebook and moved her to another school, it's probably reasonable to assume since they went through that trouble that they attempted resolution with the school first - what more would you have done?

3. It's clear that her parents did have a talk with her about bullying and social media. Did you even read the quoted blurb? We're still talking about an impressionable young girl.

I'm not saying that the bullies are responsible at all for her suicide. Still it's silly - and you should be embarrassed to have done this - to think with such sureness and self satisfaction that the complex issue of suicide can solved with laughably simple absolutes like "no facebook would have solved this" or "all you have to do is tell kids about bullying and it'll fix things".

You have a lot of growing up to do man. Suck my balls.

Seconded. That's now 4 balls, total.

Bullies are the fucking scum of the earth and if they are the tenacious kind they grow up and join the TSA, CPS or become police officers anything that pays them to bully.

Many schools handle bullies very poorly and with this online shit it's even harder because the schools are stuck in the fucking stone age. The bullies are the ones that need psychiatric help not the victim.

black-and-white mentalities like your ignorant viewpoint here are far worse than bullying behavior.

Suck my balls.

Parenting is hard. Usually I try coming up with an answer for things if I can, and even though I understand technology, and bullying behavior, it's just not easy. You can take away technology, but that stunts their ability to fit in. You can give it to them, but then you risk boys pressuring your daughter for nudes, and being a dumb shit teen she might do it just to fit in (even if she's not a slut at all). I could say raise your kids right so that they can handle tech. But that ain't easy. The only thing I can't of to help is to make sure your kids have something in their lives they are proud of. And truly proud of. For boys it's easy, put them in martial arts, supply them with a gym membership somehow so they can get strong. For girls it's a bit harder, but still, any activity to make them proud of themselves. Telling your kids that they are great and special isn't enough. It's better than being a piece of shit and beating them, but to make them into strong well balanced confident people it's not enough. They must truly be proud of themselves.

Fitting in sucks when you don't really match with the only options you have. Growing up in private school, I never fit in to any crowd. It wasn't until I started public school and went off to college when I started to find my way. Also part of this would be my lack of social skill and being a late bloomer. My point is that if someone fits into a crowd, technology isn't that big of a factor. If the kids are excluding her solely because she doesn't participate in online stuff, then they're probably not the kind of kids you want her with anyways.

bullies exist everywhere you go. they can be in any position of authority, or not even in one.

also, bullies should be expelled and forced to be home schooled by the parents. and if the kid can't get a ged at the time they would be graduating from normal school, fuck them.

Oh for fuck sakes. If you're getting made fun of on the internet, and you really want it to stop...

just don't go to those sites on the internet. It's really not too difficult.

Very black and white, and untrue.

Some people are just very thin skinned and think absolutely everything is bullying when it's not.

Kids feel the need to grow up too quickly these days. You don't need a cell phone or facebook until you're at least in junior high if not high school. It's nice having all of these modern conveniences most of the time, but at the same time all of these conveniences also complicate matters a lot of times.

Kids feel the need to grow up too quickly these days. You don't need a cell phone or facebook until you're at least in junior high if not high school. It's nice having all of these modern conveniences most of the time, but at the same time all of these conveniences also complicate matters a lot of times.

I just don't get this whole cyber bullying thing.

Bullying - at least real bullying - in schools is sad. It's something that's tough to get away from unless you pull your child from school; they're in school 5 days a week, and teachers can't do anything about it, and it's not like the kids can really do anything about it unless they stand up for themselves.

But on the internet, it's a whole different story. It's simple to get away from..I mean, if people are making fun of you on facebook and you really can't handle it...just stop going on facebook. Simple as that.

I remember I got 'bullied'. Fucker used to make me hate going to school but I used to deal with it. Thankfully when he tried to get physical I kicked his fucking ass. Girls seem to be much worse though. They go about there dirty buisness on the sly and make sure they always gang-up. Add that to the fact girls are easily gotten to with comments such as 'I hate you' and 'you're ugly'. Sometimes I understand I guess. But then I see shit like the kid who killed himself because he lost his ipod and I just think what a joke.

sad. what the hell is wrong with kids these days.

This shit needs to stop.

Kids? More like parents

The parents are all people who have generally never grown up and have no idea how to parent or what the hell discipline is. 12 year olds on facebook.... WHY?

also this shit happened all the time in the 90s-00s, only it was to your face AND behind your back and you'd get beat n set up and all sorts of shit. i had teachers laugh in my face along with other kids, just for saying an opinion.

Its weird that people would jump on the parents for this.

i think when a kid takes themselves out due to cyberbullying, they were probably going to do it someday anyway. That sounds harsh, but i can't put it lighter.

Better than a school shooting.

I agree with the comments that it's deeper than just a case of online bullying.

But parents need to assume a larger role in their kids online life.

I think this is a very good point. The parents have a responsibility to monitor what is going on in their daughters world. Be it, her actual world, or her online world. My kids (yeah, I have kids and one is close to the little girls age who took her own life) will not have online accounts (email, FB, photobucket, anything) without me knowing about it and knowing the passwords. I'll also have keyloggers in place to ensure I know what they are actually doing. I don't think of it as an invasion of privacy as much as I do a level of concern and protection. I'm not going to be jumping their case for cussing or whatever else, but I will shut down any online bullying coming to or coming from them.

I think it's just a level of good parenting that is missing from many kids today. Parents today are too caught up in their own worlds to bother worrying about their kids.

i think when a kid takes themselves out due to cyberbullying, they were probably going to do it someday anyway. That sounds harsh, but i can't put it lighter.

A kid doesn't have the emotional capacity to understand the severity of their options. They just want the hurting to stop.

Its weird that people would jump on the parents for this.

Not really. These bullies were persistent in their behavior. If I found out my child was bullying another kid, my child would be forced to apologize in person in my presence make reparations in some way, and I would have constant communication with the victim's parents. There would be significant consequences for any repeated behavior by my child.

Back