Media Kron Gracie: "BJJ is the biggest foundation for fighting"

In a fight outside of a cage or ring, boxing is the most dangerous imo.

Trained vs trained is always different in a sanctioned fight. But against an untrained individual in everyday life, the boxer will handle business more times than not and it will be over very quickly.
How is boxing the most dangerous? Then what about kickboxing and MT? Tjere are so many videos out there boxing vs Muay Thai.. The boxer has no chance.. And wrestling, Sambo or BJJ will almost always work better than boxing.

Ahhh, the street fight argument.

Of course the meathead you’re facing is an accomplished wrestler who will throw you onto hard pavement covered with poisonous glass shards.

If he’s not an accomplished wrestler, he has 6 unarmed friends who will kick you in the head the instant you take him down.

And then we have the striking guys who can’t prove themselves against a single grappler but are capable of taking on multiple opponents.

Nobody will ever have weapons, no worries.

If you get attacked on the street, do what the ladies would do.
Shoot the assailant in the face with pepper spray.

For fighting in most cases having good boxing is the best base. On the feet it gives you better head movement, lateral, backward and forward motion.
Its fundamentals are applicable in most combat sports and fighting situations.

Combining good boxing with a decent wrestling base is most important. Its mixed martial arts focusing on only 1 is poor, using BJJ is also unwise imho.

Wrestling, judo and maybe sambo are just as food or better grappling bases any way.

Without other styles to complement any fight will end up like him vs Swanson.

Without other styles to complement any fight will end up like him vs Swanson.

Serious question : As we all know Cub is a BJJ black belt. Hypothetically if Cub had no BJJ background, how do you think the fight would have went when Kron pulled guard on him those few times?

There've been quite a few street fights where a boxer punches, wrestler ducks under the punch and slams the cholo on concrete. Fight over
I don’t doubt it, though not sanctioned, that falls under the ‘trained vs trained’ category of my post.

Last edited:
Striking is, without punches it's not a fight. Wrestling is probably the best base though, however BJJ may be the most versatile platform.

Serious question : As we all know Cub is a BJJ black belt. Hypothetically if Cub had no BJJ background, how do you think the fight would have went when Kron pulled guard on him those few times?

even without bjj, a experienced mma fighter should know that going to the ground with Kron is suicide. that being said, kron would have submitted Swanson but who knows.

Wrestling and Judo/Sambo. The most devastating move you can do to someone on the street is throw them on their neck. Even if you just throw someone on their back, there's almost 100% chance that they're going to hit the pavement with the back of their head and suffer major trauma.
True, I was just dicking around. I think it's way too complex to just label any 1 discipline better the other. You benefit from each one differently

Was watching a MUNCHIES episode when I saw this talk about diet. What was more ALARMING was Gracies NAIVE quote.

"Jiu jitsu the biggest foundation for fighting, I think. I think if you don't know jiu jitsu you're going to have a hard time to get into a real fight with somebody because the fight is most likely going to end up on the ground at some point."

Oh, a real fight. Guess MMA isn't real then, fake blood, fake punches. <{outtahere}>

Focus (on proper things, like enemy's moves instead of his words), weapons detection, uneven terrain adaptation, lighting and varied space management are just few of the many things one needs to be good at when fighting outside the ring. I doubt BJJ properly trains all of these well enough.

Oh, a real fight. Guess MMA isn't real then, fake blood, fake punches. <{outtahere}>

Focus (on proper things, like enemy's moves instead of his words), weapons detection, uneven terrain adaptation, lighting and varied space management are just few of the many things one needs to be good at when fighting outside the ring. I doubt BJJ properly trains all of these well enough.

MMA is a sport with rules and regulations. A bar bro could easily knock out Jon Jones in a public setting. Wtf you smoking

Was watching a MUNCHIES episode when I saw this talk about diet. What was more ALARMING was Gracies NAIVE quote.

"Jiu jitsu the biggest foundation for fighting, I think. I think if you don't know jiu jitsu you're going to have a hard time to get into a real fight with somebody because the fight is most likely going to end up on the ground at some point."

What ...?
<JagsKiddingMe>

If all you know is Jiu Jitsu and you're fighting in the streets you're going to get your ASS kicked. There is no GI, you're head will get blasted on the pavement, and you're going to be focused on catching a sub while your foe is going to PUNCH YOU in the face.

He's got an academy of followers believing this shit and probably going out in the world thinking they are invincible because people are eager and ready to let them pull guard.

{<jordan}

Jiu Jitsu is one of those arts, like aikido, judo, taekwondo, that's complimentary to the foundation of WRESTLING and BOXING. The true arts that you need to learn in order to defend yourself. Gracie is giving out stupid advice that will get people killed.

I really hope you're trolling... We've seen bjj work against people in the streets multiple times. Most people who are in the public can't even fight more than 2 minutes before gassing.

We've also seen Royce Gracie beat bigger men who didn't know bjj. So yes, jiu jitsu is a foundation martial arts.

Well he's making a living out of it, what's he gonna say.

You can win street fights on the ground, doesn't mean you're not putting yourself in the worst position by going there.

You're not of you are a better grappler. You want the fight on the ground vs one on one.

When there are no rounds, no standing up for inaction rules, and no time limits. Then he is probably right.

Wrestling doesn't win fights, it neutralizes, it controls, it doesn't finish. Kickboxing is fine if you can can't be taken down. But again, no time limit, no standing up fighters, then you are likely to get taken down at least once, and not get back up against an elite BJJ guy.

Obviously this is just speculation, it comes down to the people facing off BUT you acting like it is some sort of joke when he says that shows how little you understand bjj. Without rounds, standup rules, time limits being against an elite BJJ guy is going to likely going to result in a tap.

Exactly. Some of these sherdoggers simply never been in a real fight to begin with lol.

BJJ definitely works on the streets. It's actually probably easier on the streets than in the cage because people aren't walking around in spandex on the street-- they're wearing clothing, which gives BJJ guys plenty to grip on to.

I realize this is a troll thread though

If Jon Jones is any indication then it's cocaine.

Athleticism is

Ding Ding Chicken wing. Of course two athletic people with one having a finely honed combat skill -is gonna have the advantage. But there is no just one binary winner of the street. Blue Belt BJJ def aint a Black Belt on the street unless hes going up against an unathletic person with no fighting experience. Remember, alot of blues are just guys committed to make class for a year half -doesnt mean they have any idea what a takedown feels like when power punches being swung, head butts to break nose and everything is chaotic happening in a frenzied state.

MMA is a sport with rules and regulations. A bar bro could easily knock out Jon Jones in a public setting. Wtf you smoking

Did you read the OP or not? Kron was referring to BJJ as the base to a "real" fight. I am questioning what he means when he used the word 'real' and gave examples of things many BJJ gyms all over don't address.

I return the same question to you: WTF are ya smokin'?<13>

In a fight outside of a cage or ring, boxing is the most dangerous imo.

Trained vs trained is always different in a sanctioned fight. But against an untrained individual in everyday life, the boxer will handle business more times than not and it will be over very quickly.

Good base, devastating in the clinch, and head butts, if it's on the street, a trained boxer you better believe will throw that forehead right into the guys fucking nose followed by body shots, fights over real quick lol.
Like you said, sanctioned boxing vs dirty street boxing, way fucking different.

Back