Media Kron Gracie: "BJJ is the biggest foundation for fighting"

Everybody knows the best base is an asthma inhaler.

Wrestling is virtue of the fact that when you put a top BJJ guy against a top wrestler, the wrestler can neutralise the BJJ guy.

Wrestling > BJJ
Beef > pescatarian eating

everything this guy says is 100% valid on flat earth.

As a life-long striker (sanda however, so with standing wrestling and throws) I support the wrestling argument that if you slam someone on the pavement with a good takedown then fight is likely over. Having said that, most fights start with punches swinging and - outside of combat sports - may include multiple threats, so the idea that everyone should just immediately dive for a takedown is not realistic. We also saw how that ended for Askren. So some striking knowledge IMO is always indispensable.

I think it's a bit disingenuous to confine BJJ to just "sub hunting". If you have a strong BJJ foundation and get into a street fight you will have no issue sweeping, mounting, and controlling someone untrained. You aren't limited to throwing up arm bars from closed guard while someone punches you in the head.
This. The downside is that you are vulnerable to your opponent's friend punting you in the head.

If TS actually trained BJJ, he would know this. They say that a blue belt in the gym is a black belt in the streets, and it’s demonstrably true, especially when fighting someone with zero grappling skill.

The part about not being able to do anything without a gi is especially moronic. I hardly ever attended nogi classes, yet somehow I always performed better in nogi competition. Training with a gi develops different aspects of your game, but you don’t need it to accomplish the bread and butter moves like rnc, triangles, armbars, guillotines, darce/brabo/head and arm triangles etc.

This. TS is just another basement warrior, and the closest he's been to a gym is the one near his Gamestop.

In a way, he's right. Obviously, you need to know how to throw a punch ass well and know not to get taken down.

I've been in a shit ton of street fights and school fights. Almost all of them ended on the ground. Back then all I knew was a rear-naked choke, bulldog choke and a guillotine. Helped a lot.

Also, if you can take a punch, that helps too.

This. The downside is that you are vulnerable to your opponent's friend punting you in the head.
100% any BJJ practitioner will agree it is not suited for multiple attackers (not that any really are but still). Eddie Bravo, Rener Gracie,, etc are all on record saying this.

I think it's a bit disingenuous to confine BJJ to just "sub hunting". If you have a strong BJJ foundation and get into a street fight you will have no issue sweeping, mounting, and controlling someone untrained. You aren't limited to throwing up arm bars from closed guard while someone punches you in the head.
Gonna be hard to sweep and mount when your'e concussed and having the shit beaten out of you because you can't strike. Its certainly important but no more so than learning proper stand up.

You can't be a champion or contender even if all you know is BJJ, that's what the Gracies have proven recently.

Jiu-Jitsu? Wrestling?
You guys are all wrong.

PRO WRESTLING!
In the ring, in the streets, nobody wants this smoke. Come at me Bro.

giphy.gif

BRAINWASHING, WHAT A LIAR!!!!11

What a drama queen... Yeah, wrestlers think wrestling is the best basis, strikers on the other hand guarantee they've got the best one.

We also saw how that ended for Askren. So some striking knowledge IMO is always indispensable.
Extremely well? He lost once and it was to a guy throwing a flying knee. I am not worried about a flying knee on the streets. Not to many people can do that.

Gonna be hard to sweep and mount when your'e concussed and having the shit beaten out of you because you can't strike. Its certainly important but no more so than learning proper stand up.

You can't be a champion or contender even if all you know is BJJ, that's what the Gracies have proven recently.
Gonna be hard to throw effective concussive strikes while you're being controlled by someone who has a strong fundamental understanding of grappling mechanics (not saying your hypothetical scenario isn't plausible but just stating I could pose the exact same type of scenario more favorable to BJJ)

In terms of MMA yeah I think it's obvious to have a complete varied skill set (Hence the MIXED portion of MMA).

Let me ask you this, would you say that those with strong grappling backgrounds and rudimentary striking skills have a better chance at success in MMA than a strong striker with rudimentary grappling skills?

BTW, being black and from a city is the best martial art for street fights. You guys ever watch Worldstar?

Back