Media Kron Gracie: "BJJ is the biggest foundation for fighting"

Gonna be hard to throw effective concussive strikes while you're being controlled by someone who has a strong fundamental understanding of grappling mechanics (not saying your hypothetical scenario isn't plausible but just stating I could pose the exact same type of scenario more favorable to BJJ)

In terms of MMA yeah I think it's obvious to have a complete varied skill set (Hence the MIXED portion of MMA).

Let me ask you this, would you say that those with strong grappling backgrounds and rudimentary striking skills have a better chance at success in MMA than a strong striker with rudimentary grappling skills?
I'm meaning if the BJJ guy takes a big shot then gets dropped hard, its difficult to do proper grappling when you're missing your mental faculties. Of course I think an advanced bjj guy would normally beat untrained bums the vast majority of the time in the street but I think boxing or Muay Thai would be safer. I say this because I do train BJJ but I have never been trained to do effective Takedowns vs a resisting opponent.

I'd say it depends on the grappling background, if they're grapplers with effective wrestling like Khabib, Islam, Gregor Gillespie, Askren or Demian Maia(Kind of) then I would bet on them. If they're pure bjj guard pullers like Kron or Neiman, then I am voting for the striker.

I'm meaning if the BJJ guy takes a big shot then gets dropped hard, its difficult to do proper grappling when you're missing your mental faculties. Of course I think an advanced bjj guy would normally beat untrained bums the vast majority of the time in the street but I think boxing or Muay Thai would be safer.

I'd say it depends on the grappling background, if they're grapplers with effective wrestling like Khabib, Islam, Gregor Gillespie, Askren or Demian Maia(Kind of) then I would bet on them. If they're pure bjj guard pullers like Kron or Neiman, then I am voting for the striker.
I won't disagree. I think your point is valid in many scenarios. But also I have to bring up fighters like Diaz and Ferguson who can get hit and still have dangerous guards and finish fights from their backs.

Wrestling is virtue of the fact that when you put a top BJJ guy against a top wrestler, the wrestler can neutralise the BJJ guy.

Only by striking.

The early UFC and pride events showed a pure wrestler will get subbed by a BJJ guy unless they also cross train in BJJ and know what they are doing.

Mark Coleman placed second in the world championships, he was an elite, elite wrestler but he was subbed in about 1 minute in the guard of big nog and that was after cross training became common for most, just not enough for Coleman. Plus Coleman was juiced to the gills.

i think playing street fighter II is the biggest foundation. Just saying.

I won't disagree. I think your point is valid in many scenarios. But also I have to bring up fighters like Diaz and Ferguson who can get hit and still have dangerous guards and finish fights from their backs.
For sure being able to fight effectively from your back is amazing but its only one wrinkle of the game IMO. If you took all the other skills from those two guys and left only the BJJ, they would really suck.

Was watching a MUNCHIES episode when I saw this talk about diet. What was more ALARMING was Gracies NAIVE quote.

"Jiu jitsu the biggest foundation for fighting, I think. I think if you don't know jiu jitsu you're going to have a hard time to get into a real fight with somebody because the fight is most likely going to end up on the ground at some point."

What ...?
<JagsKiddingMe>

If all you know is Jiu Jitsu and you're fighting in the streets you're going to get your ASS kicked. There is no GI, you're head will get blasted on the pavement, and you're going to be focused on catching a sub while your foe is going to PUNCH YOU in the face.

He's got an academy of followers believing this shit and probably going out in the world thinking they are invincible because people are eager and ready to let them pull guard.

{<jordan}

Jiu Jitsu is one of those arts, like aikido, judo, taekwondo, that's complimentary to the foundation of WRESTLING and BOXING. The true arts that you need to learn in order to defend yourself. Gracie is giving out stupid advice that will get people killed.

A competent BJJ coach mixes wrestling and BJJ. You aren’t ever going to be close to an Askren who started at 7 in wrestling.

BJJ is the best because instead of hanging out with criminal minded strikers you can make some white coller friends and stop getting into street fights.

I'm meaning if the BJJ guy takes a big shot then gets dropped hard, its difficult to do proper grappling when you're missing your mental faculties. Of course I think an advanced bjj guy would normally beat untrained bums the vast majority of the time in the street but I think boxing or Muay Thai would be safer. I say this because I do train BJJ but I have never been trained to do effective Takedowns vs a resisting opponent.

I trained takedowns and boxing more than BJJ with a black belt with red stripes from Bruno Estimilio.

Foundation, sure.

But I don’t think one needs to stubbornly knowingly not learn other skills in UFC going into year 2020.

He lost to a very beatable, close-2-retiring Cub

In a fight outside of a cage or ring, boxing is the most dangerous imo.

Trained vs trained is always different in a sanctioned fight. But against an untrained individual in everyday life, the boxer will handle business more times than not and it will be over very quickly.

There've been quite a few street fights where a boxer punches, wrestler ducks under the punch and slams the cholo on concrete. Fight over

Was watching a MUNCHIES episode when I saw this talk about diet. What was more ALARMING was Gracies NAIVE quote.

"Jiu jitsu the biggest foundation for fighting, I think. I think if you don't know jiu jitsu you're going to have a hard time to get into a real fight with somebody because the fight is most likely going to end up on the ground at some point."

What ...?
<JagsKiddingMe>

If all you know is Jiu Jitsu and you're fighting in the streets you're going to get your ASS kicked. There is no GI, you're head will get blasted on the pavement, and you're going to be focused on catching a sub while your foe is going to PUNCH YOU in the face.

He's got an academy of followers believing this shit and probably going out in the world thinking they are invincible because people are eager and ready to let them pull guard.

{<jordan}

Jiu Jitsu is one of those arts, like aikido, judo, taekwondo, that's complimentary to the foundation of WRESTLING and BOXING. The true arts that you need to learn in order to defend yourself. Gracie is giving out stupid advice that will get people killed.

you think any jiu jitsu trainings fighter is going to pull guard and sub hunt from bottom in a sf? Lmfao... you have zero idea what jiu jitsu is

Foundation, sure.

But I don’t think one needs to stubbornly knowingly not learn other skills in UFC going into year 2020.

He lost to a very beatable, close-2-retiring Cub
Yeah if self defense is your goal, the right bjj gym is fine to train at. If you want to be a pro mma fighter, you’re a damned fool if all you train is bjj

What ...?
<JagsKiddingMe>

{<jordan}

He is a Gracie.they will say GJJ can end a armed conflict in a war zone.
And
Dude is Rickson last hope to have a heir who is a fighter.
Can you imagine the pressure this dude have being in since his brother passed away?

also you sound biased as fook.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back