Media Kron Gracie: "BJJ is the biggest foundation for fighting"

suhdude

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score

Was watching a MUNCHIES episode when I saw this talk about diet. What was more ALARMING was Gracies NAIVE quote.

"Jiu jitsu the biggest foundation for fighting, I think. I think if you don't know jiu jitsu you're going to have a hard time to get into a real fight with somebody because the fight is most likely going to end up on the ground at some point."

What ...?
<JagsKiddingMe>

If all you know is Jiu Jitsu and you're fighting in the streets you're going to get your ASS kicked. There is no GI, you're head will get blasted on the pavement, and you're going to be focused on catching a sub while your foe is going to PUNCH YOU in the face.

He's got an academy of followers believing this shit and probably going out in the world thinking they are invincible because people are eager and ready to let them pull guard.

{<jordan}

Jiu Jitsu is one of those arts, like aikido, judo, taekwondo, that's complimentary to the foundation of WRESTLING and BOXING. The true arts that you need to learn in order to defend yourself. Gracie is giving out stupid advice that will get people killed.

If all you know is Jiu Jitsu and you're fighting in the streets you're going to get your ASS kicked.
Objectively wrong.

Jiu Jitsu is one of those arts, like aikido, judo, taekwondo, that's complimentary to the foundation of WRESTLING and BOXING.
Why would boxing be a foundation but not kick boxing or muay thai? Why would take downs and control be a foundation but not submissions and escapes? BJJ has been proven to be the most important art in MMA to train, wrestling is a better base to come into the sport with but BJJ is more important technically.

I think it's a bit disingenuous to confine BJJ to just "sub hunting". If you have a strong BJJ foundation and get into a street fight you will have no issue sweeping, mounting, and controlling someone untrained. You aren't limited to throwing up arm bars from closed guard while someone punches you in the head.

I think it's a bit disingenuous to confine BJJ to just "sub hunting". If you have a strong BJJ foundation and get into a street fight you will have no issue sweeping, mounting, and controlling someone untrained. You aren't limited to throwing up arm bars from closed guard while someone punches you in the head.

If TS actually trained BJJ, he would know this. They say that a blue belt in the gym is a black belt in the streets, and it’s demonstrably true, especially when fighting someone with zero grappling skill.

The part about not being able to do anything without a gi is especially moronic. I hardly ever attended nogi classes, yet somehow I always performed better in nogi competition. Training with a gi develops different aspects of your game, but you don’t need it to accomplish the bread and butter moves like rnc, triangles, armbars, guillotines, darce/brabo/head and arm triangles etc.

Last edited:
Being trained is always going to beat untrained. BJJ is very effective in the street, but ideally you can also strike and wrestle.

Or just Kronbar them

never been in a street fight myself, but from observing the Street Coliseum forum maybe we're setting the bar too high for street fights. meaning it seems the majority of the time the fight is easily avoidable, one or both people are drunk and falling about, or the fighting is so sloppy that even person in decent shape who trains judo/bjj/ TKD/anything really would do just fine

lol TS has no clue what he's talking about and has never rolled a day in his life.

Comparing BJJ to Aikido just shows your level of stupidity.

interested party tries to sell his product
shocker right here

In a fight outside of a cage or ring, boxing is the most dangerous imo.

Trained vs trained is always different in a sanctioned fight. But against an untrained individual in everyday life, the boxer will handle business more times than not and it will be over very quickly.

Wrestling is
Wrestling and Judo/Sambo. The most devastating move you can do to someone on the street is throw them on their neck. Even if you just throw someone on their back, there's almost 100% chance that they're going to hit the pavement with the back of their head and suffer major trauma.

Breaking news: BJJ guy says BJJ is a big deal. More on this shocking story tonight at 11

When there are no rounds, no standing up for inaction rules, and no time limits. Then he is probably right.

Wrestling doesn't win fights, it neutralizes, it controls, it doesn't finish. Kickboxing is fine if you can can't be taken down. But again, no time limit, no standing up fighters, then you are likely to get taken down at least once, and not get back up against an elite BJJ guy.

Obviously this is just speculation, it comes down to the people facing off BUT you acting like it is some sort of joke when he says that shows how little you understand bjj. Without rounds, standup rules, time limits being against an elite BJJ guy is going to likely going to result in a tap.

Well he's making a living out of it, what's he gonna say.

You can win street fights on the ground, doesn't mean you're not putting yourself in the worst position by going there.

Wrestling doesn't win fights, it neutralizes, it controls, it doesn't finish.
Is that why the Russian military adopted sambo as their go to martial art? Lmao, a good throw on a hard surface will finish a fight faster than any punch.

Back