Kid admits his going to heaven book was a lie. Publisher will pull book.

I wouldn't have confessed at all so good on him. Although tbf if I tried writing that shit people'd be like 'how does a Half-German registered sex criminal get into heaven exactly?' and I'd just have to make some shit up like 'I shook some black dudes hand once'

images

I've actually thought a lot about the question "Is it worth looking investigating whether or not there is an afterlife?" I've concluded, "Yes, for some people and no for others."

You see, you are taking an existential perspective: Life is likely meaningless, and even if it is not meaningless we almost certainly will not be able to determine that meaning within a short lifetime, so it is up to us to give our lives meaning and worth.

Some people then draw the logical conclusion then that it is a waste of time to explore whether or not there is an afterlife because that time could have been spent giving your life some preferred meaning or worth. But I to would consider myself an existentialist and personally, I find exploring the possibility of an afterlife enjoyable, rewarding, challenging, and personally meaningful. So even from an existential perspective, it makes sense for me to investigate it because it helps me to feel something about life is worthy and meaningful.

Great post. I'm an existentialist and I don't consider the possibility of an afterlife (not that I say I definitively don't believe in one, but I just don't ever think of it or care about it). Everything you said is perfect though. I wish more people realized the implications of their philosophical views like you obviously do and present fair viewpoints. Instead we get all this back and forth nonsense.

evidence_of_the_afterlife.jpg

This is the largest study on NDE's ever conducted.

A little to add here for the sake of clarity... "Study" is a very broad term. In this case, the study was/is the compilation of descriptions of RDE's by those who had the experiences. It's basically an oral history. The only science involved is that of gathering information.

Also, the book comes from HarperOne, the spirituality division of HarperCollins (Fox/NewsCorp).

I'm not knocking the book on its merits. I'm spiritual and perfectly willing to give the subjects the benefit of the doubt, but I wish publishers would be more transparent when it comes to questions of faith v. science.

should have put it in a spoiler alert. completely ruined the book for me now.

The kid from the movie "Heaven is Real" is decently old now and still stands by his story. Sounds like bullshit to me either way, Jesus coming in with his rainbow robe on a unicorn or w/e. But most Christians will take any chance to grasp at straws that their fairy tale is real.

That movie sucked and you could tell from the movie that the kid and his father were just delusional. The reviews were either 10/10 by the religious or 1/10 by the athiests so I decided to check it out for myself. Just after that, I also saw a movie that was of atheistic nature but I forgot the name, it was complete shit as well. But recently I saw a movie "I Origins", I thought it was amazing with just the right balance of religion and lack thereof.

The kid lived up to his name. Maybe now he can go to hell.

Last edited:
i would say that on the flipside, many people do NOT do extremely bad things because the believe in an afterlife

if you do not believe in an afterlife, well all you have to do is not get caught by the cops.

also, you can be religious and have a very fulfilling and happy life, moreso than if you believe in nothing and just worry about death as a non believer thinks this is it

This is the biggest load of shit ever. You don't need religion or fear punishment or seeking a reward for good behavior in life. A truly good person is good because it's the right, human thing to do.

If nothing you do matters, then the only thing that matters is what you do.

This is the biggest load of shit ever. You don't need religion or fear punishment or seeking a reward for good behavior in life.

i never said that. i was making a specific argument that just because you believe in an afterlife does not mean that you do not have to be afraid of death.

instead of getting all butthurt, why don't you try to understand what i am arguing?

some people believe in no afterlife and want to die because they do not want to exist anymore. so this is one way that non believers can not be afraid of death.

This is the biggest load of shit ever. You don't need religion or fear punishment or seeking a reward for good behavior in life. A truly good person is good because it's the right, human thing to do.

If nothing you do matters, then the only thing that matters is what you do.

Some people have consciences that are louder than others'

i never said that. i was making a specific argument that just because you believe in an afterlife does not mean that you do not have to be afraid of death.

instead of getting all butthurt, why don't you try to understand what i am arguing?

some people believe in no afterlife and want to die because they do not want to exist anymore. so this is one way that non believers can not be afraid of death.

Then why say this

if you do not believe in an afterlife, well all you have to do is not get caught by the cops.

This line shows you believe that religious people are more likely to be moral and good, since they are living for an afterlife and believe thier actions on earth will be appropriately rewarded or punished. While a non-believer niether fears punishment or expects a reward so they can do whatever they want as long as they avoid earthly punishment from the legal system.

Do you not believe this? Do you think people need a belief in an afterlife to compel them to be good? And if you are only being good out of fear of punishment, then those non-believers who are treating people correctly are more caring, selfless and good than religious folks who expect something in return.

really wish he would of cut the malarkey sooner

i would say that on the flipside, many people do NOT do extremely bad things because the believe in an afterlife

also, you can be religious and have a very fulfilling and happy life, moreso than if you believe in nothing and just worry about death as a non believer thinks this is it

If a person's main reason for being moral is fear of punishment in an afterlife, they are not a good person. A person should not need a metaphysical gun to their head to be decent. A good person does not need to be coerced under threat of eternal torment.

I would hope an omniscient god would consider the motivation behind ones actions or inaction before passing judgment.

If a person's main reason for being moral is fear of punishment in an afterlife, they are not a good person

i never said it was. i never said believing in God is a requirement for having moral actions.
if you got that from what i posted, learn to read.
Also, i explained this in an earlier reply.

Then why say this

lets say you are a baby killer. no not an abortion doctor, but lets say you find babies and kill them in their cribs at night.

If you believe in God, you have to believe that you will be judged and you should be frightened.

if you do not believe in God, all you have to do is avoid the police to avoid being punished and judged.

is this simple enough for you?

when reading my posts, it really would help if you read what i replied to.

PS -- i want you to understand something. Christians believe that God has written a moral code in all us. So, i would never disagree that a non religious person could be moral as God has written this moral code on their very being.
i mean, what you are saying is really agreeing with the general christian thought

Back