Khamzat not responding to call out from top 5 Cannonier

This is a great fight for both, I think either have a really solid chance of winning tbh

He got his "#1 contender" fight without being particularly active, without any meaningful MW fights, and without almost anyone asking for him to be rushed to a title fight. I see no reason he can't ride his popularity to the front of the line.

In a worst case scenario he's 3rd from a title with Izzy and Strickland in front. He's probably 2nd with just Izzy in front of him and that's only if Izzy is enticed to come back.

I think Cannonier is more deserving of a shot than Chimaev, but the realities of fight promotion are what they are. If Chimaev is going to consider any non-title fight he should be looking at Strickland.
That didn't really work out for him though did it? Besides Izzy was running out of contenders and there's a new champion now so that's not the case anymore which doesn't help Khamzat.

Cannonier looked better than ever against Vettori, especially his cardio and TDD. IMO Cannonier TKOs Khamzat.
Stuffing Marvin’s TD’s aren’t the same as stopping Chimaev. I think Khamzat subs him within the distance. That being said, we’ve seen him slow down a lot as the rounds drag on. If it’s a 5 rounder and Khamzat can’t put him away before the championship rounds, he may be in trouble.

I can't tell if Khamzat is delusional or isn't confident he can beat Cannonier but it's weird as hell that the highest ranked opponent Khamzat could get isn't getting a response from Khamzat. What do you guys think, does be still think he is getting a title shot without any top 15 wins at MW or does he know Cannonier is bad for his brand? I'm leaning towards the latter since Khamzat dropped out of the top 10 after Hermansson beat a top 15 MW.
Khamzat is in discussions for title shots at 185/170, so Cannonier isn't the highest ranked fighter he could get.

Stuffing Marvin’s TD’s aren’t the same as stopping Chimaev. I think Khamzat subs him within the distance. That being said, we’ve seen him slow down a lot as the rounds drag on. If it’s a 5 rounder and Khamzat can’t put him away before the championship rounds, he may be in trouble.
Marvin has the best takedowns of any top 10 MW and has great cardio and chin too. Khamzat doesn't have good cardio and his chin is nowhere near as good. Khamzat would have to get a finish in the first round and a half or he's losing and Cannonier is incredibly difficult to finish, it's a bad match up for Khamzat especially since it would most likely be a 5 round fight.

Marvin has the best takedowns of any top 10 MW and has great cardio and chin too. Khamzat doesn't have good cardio and his chin is nowhere near as good. Khamzat would have to get a finish in the first round and a half or he's losing and Cannonier is incredibly difficult to finish, it's a bad match up for Khamzat especially since it would most likely be a 5 round fight.

Marvin having the best TDs of any top 10 MW speaks more to the lack of good wrestlers in the division which has been a talking point for a long time. Strikers paradise. Marvin is more good submission grappler type dude than a good takedown artist. Khamzat is completely different when it comes to ability to take motherfuckers down.

That said I agree with you that Khamzat does his thing in the first round but fails to finish him and late 2nd round it's clear Cannonier will win the fight vs a gassed Chimaev

Not during Ramadan brother.

After the holy month is over please call Borz out to fight in a nation he can get a visa for.

except if Khamzat beats him the people saying exactly what you said will change their tune

It's on page 2 in the Sherdog manual ffs

Yeah this is nonsense. People just want Khamzat to earn a title shot like everyone else. He earned one at 170 by fighting Burns and everyone was excited. But he fucked that up by missing weight. Now he's at 185 and all people are asking is for him to fight a top 10 middleweight. Not a big ask. Cannonier already deserves a title shot based on merit. He'd be doing Khamzat a favor by fighting him.

I mean he was promised a title shot with a win over Usman so why would he respond?

That said, Cannonier is a bad matchup for him.
We have seen interim champions never getting their Undisputed title shot, he has nothing.

Vettori is decent and fights at around 210lbs, im not sold Chimaev is a solid MW, has beat 1 MW (GM3), Usman (WW) put up a fight on short notice.

Last edited:
Ehhh khamzat wasn’t responding to Costa either for the longest time before agreeing to fight him at 294. It seemed like Costa was regularly calling out Khamzat for months without any reply and then the fight was scheduled. Costa eventually pulled out due to an infection in his elbow or something like that.

Marvin having the best TDs of any top 10 MW speaks more to the lack of good wrestlers in the division which has been a talking point for a long time. Strikers paradise. Marvin is more good submission grappler type dude than a good takedown artist. Khamzat is completely different when it comes to ability to take motherfuckers down.

That said I agree with you that Khamzat does his thing in the first round but fails to finish him and late 2nd round it's clear Cannonier will win the fight vs a gassed Chimaev

It's hard to say where Khamzat's wrestling stacks up against top MWs till we see it actually happen. He's used to being the bigger stronger guy and that's not going to be the case a lot of the time when he fights top 10 MWs.

It's hard to say where Khamzat's wrestling stacks up against top MWs till we see it actually happen. He's used to being the bigger stronger guy and that's not going to be the case a lot of the time when he fights top 10 MWs.

That's true we will have to wait and see. That said, if somebody puts a gun to my head and says we're gonna select a MW from the UFC and if that guy doesn't get taken down within a minute we kill you. You can pick Khamzat or Vettori as your man for the task.. I'm picking Khamzat every day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biden's Diaper
Back