Khamzat not responding to call out from top 5 Cannonier

NoBiasJustMMA

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
I can't tell if Khamzat is delusional or isn't confident he can beat Cannonier but it's weird as hell that the highest ranked opponent Khamzat could get isn't getting a response from Khamzat. What do you guys think, does be still think he is getting a title shot without any top 15 wins at MW or does he know Cannonier is bad for his brand? I'm leaning towards the latter since Khamzat dropped out of the top 10 after Hermansson beat a top 15 MW.

5 round fight will favor Cannonier. The issue is surviving the first round. There is something with Khamzat where he slows down a lot after the first round. His pacing isn't great but he is clever and knows what he needs to do in order to score a victory. He doesn't really take risks at all.

Khamzat is that hot girl everyone wants their turn.
Nothing new here.

I mean he was promised a title shot with a win over Usman so why would he respond?

That said, Cannonier is a bad matchup for him.
Cause he had to know beating a WW at MW shouldn't get him a title shot especially when he barely won against a guy who had 10 days to train and now he's not even in the top 10 at MW.

Khamzat is kind of a weird dude.

He sort of comes and goes in waves of being interesting, then irrelevant.

Shows potential at times, then goes into obscurity.

I can't quite decide where to place him at the moment.

I would think #4 ranked Cannonier would be near the top of his hit list. A 40-year-old coming off surgery, who is a notoriously slow starter, and seemingly has a deteriorating chin if getting hurt multiple times by Vetorri is any indication.

Plus Cannonier is in no position to say no to going to Saudi, whereas a more popular &/or established fighter like Strickland or Whittaker could say no. And it does appear that Saudi is his only chance at fighting before Abu Dhabi in OCT.

I think Khamzat beats him and then everyone writes Cannonier off as a 40 yr old on the tail end of his career.
Cannonier had arguably his career best performance in his last fight, and Khamzat has zero wins against top level MWs.

Just making up excuses for the fight not to happen is ridiculous.

He's not going to respond to a tough callout if a title shot is even a remote possibility. If DDP gets past Izzy then Chimaev still has a chance of challenging for the title.

Cannonier can give him that top win he's getting a lot of flack for not having, but it can also cost him an opportunity.

Cannonier looked better than ever against Vettori, especially his cardio and TDD. IMO Cannonier TKOs Khamzat.
I hope one day we finally get the answer to the Khamzat question. I don't mind if I'm wrong. I just think its time to send him out to a top guy and he wins or loses, and we know. Every time he beats someone its never good enough and "maybe the next fight we'll know".

Cannonier looked better than ever against Vettori, especially his cardio and TDD. IMO Cannonier TKOs Khamzat.

except if Khamzat beats him the people saying exactly what you said will change their tune

It's on page 2 in the Sherdog manual ffs

He's not going to respond to a tough callout if a title shot is even a remote possibility. If DDP gets past Izzy then Chimaev still has a chance of challenging for the title.

Cannonier can give him that top win he's getting a lot of flack for not having, but it can also cost him an opportunity.
The more he sits out the more he's going to fall down in the rankings and the less fans are going to be asking for him to get a title shot. If he sits out and waits I think his odds of getting a title shot decrease.

except if Khamzat beats him the people saying exactly what you said will change their tune

It's on page 2 in the Sherdog manual ffs
I think the amount of people that drastically flip flop are very small and its more just people assuming everyone on sherdog is the same person, I rarely see the people saying this stuff actually call someone out for it, they just act like different people are the same person.

Cannonier is a tough fight on paper but so is Costa and he did show up to fight Costa.

The Brunson and Hermanson fights are a scary look for a man who gasses after a round. I doubt Khamzat is scared since he is aiming for a title shot but Cannonier has arguably earned one himself and nobody even mentions his name... a fight with Strickland or Izzy if he can't get a instant title shot probably earn him more money anyways.

I personally think he loses to all of the top MW's with Allen being his most winnable fight but I doubt Khamzat is ducking these guys.

I think the amount of people that drastically flip flop are very small and its more just people assuming everyone on sherdog is the same person, I rarely see the people saying this stuff actually call someone out for it, they just act like different people are the same person.

Maybe I should start collecting receipts then

I did collect receipts one time in the betting forum and called out several idiots which was glorious

The more he sits out the more he's going to fall down in the rankings and the less fans are going to be asking for him to get a title shot. If he sits out and waits I think his odds of getting a title shot decrease.

He got his "#1 contender" fight without being particularly active, without any meaningful MW fights, and without almost anyone asking for him to be rushed to a title fight. I see no reason he can't ride his popularity to the front of the line.

In a worst case scenario he's 3rd from a title with Izzy and Strickland in front. He's probably 2nd with just Izzy in front of him and that's only if Izzy is enticed to come back.

I think Cannonier is more deserving of a shot than Chimaev, but the realities of fight promotion are what they are. If Chimaev is going to consider any non-title fight he should be looking at Strickland.

Back