Khamzat Chimaev Seeks Title Fight in Targeted Return at UFC 308 in Abu Dhabi

Strickland isn't the clear cut #1 contender. Him against Whittaker is the only fight that makes sense. Other than Adesanya Sean has lost to every top 5 MW. Beating Costa in a boring 5 rounder isn't enough when Whittaker beat Costa before the Strickland and KOd the Dagestani prospect Ikram in under a round. Whittaker vs Strickland should determine who fights for the belt next.
Thank you.

He lost his last Strikeforce fight and then went on his tear through MW. And remember half of those wins were ranked guys; Kennedy, Machida, Jacare, and Weidman. And 6/8 of them were finishes.

Ah now I remember. It was during that Bisping-GSP-Hendo clusterfuck. He should have already had his titleshot especially after defeating Jacare. Even after that he still had to nuke Weidman.

Rightfully so. Use a little discerning thought.

He has a few good wins (over some very talented gatekeeper opponents) on his record, but his record does not scream that he should be fighting for a title...at any point in the near future. Nor do his in-cage performances.
You use a little discerning thought. I didn't make an argument for him to get a title shot, just stated that he has 8 wins and won't be getting one. I only used him as a current example.

I mean Rob only beat #6 Costa by decision and unranked Aliskerov since DDP finished him. Sean could have done more to bounce back too, but his fall was a lot less and from higher
Whittaker won the UFC title and kind of should have a title defense but doens't cause Romero missed weight, plus a lot of people thought he beat Izzy the last time so he's more proven at a championship level than Strickland is. They should have a number 1 contender fight but Strickland seems to be avoiding it.

Khamzat says he's earned his shot and he wants it in Abu Dhabi in Octber

Would you prefer he gets his shot at WW or MW gold?

There are plenty of fighters that won 7 straight or more without fighting for belt.

We literally have like 10 page thread on this a few threads below smdh

I don't disagree. I'd like to see Whittaker vs Strickland. However, Strickland IS NEXT. If you can't see that, then you must be a blind hater that just doesn't like Strickland. If Izzy loses, he's not getting a rematch. If Izzy wins, DDP isn't getting an instant rematch and the Izzy/Strickland rematch becomes the most logical next title fight.

There are scenarios where Strickland sitting out works against him, but they are not likely. Khamzat could beat Whittaker and make it look easy, allowing the UFC to push him ahead of Strickland. Not looking likely right now, and without beating Whittaker, Khamzat can't earn a title shot with a single win at middleweight. Another scenario is the DDP/Izzy winner is injured and can't fight for close to a year, and the division keeps moving during that time leaving Strickland behind. Whittaker with another 2 wins would put himself ahead of a Sean Strickland that's been inactive for 12 months. The last scenario is that Strickland himself gets injured when the DDP/Izzy winner schedules a title defense, and the UFC subs in whoever is next in line, and again Strickland ends up going 12+ months without a fight, and is no longer the obvious #1 contender.

But assuming everyone stays healthy and the DDP/Izzy winner fights 6-8 months after the upcoming fight, then Strickland is the #1 contender and not much can change that.
This is the UFC. Chito Vera jumped over Merab and Sandhagen for a shot against O'Malley, Colby was given a shot over Belal out of nowhere. If they rebook Khamzat vs Rob it will almost certainly be a title eliminator like the last one was, can't see Rob signing to fight him again if that isn't a stipulation. If they try to book Strickland in a #1 contenders fight and he refuses they could just move past him. You've been around long enough to see how things operate.

He needs to fight Vetorri , then Cannonier after that give him shot IF HE CAN SHOW UP AN FIGHT

Well, let's first see if you can even get through training camp and actually make it to fight day. Then we can talk about title fights.

Back