News Josh Emmett Vs Giga Chikadze UFC 296

I really like Emmett but I also wonder what his goals are atm.
Title seems out of reach.
Also, Father Time.

Finishing contract?
Just loves to fight?
Fun fights?

I thought Emmett was going to take a self-indulgent legacy retirement bout at 155 before riding off into the sunset. I guess the UFC didn't play ball.

Guess I'll take Giga for the moment. Emmett looked better than expected against Topuria, but I still genuinely believe that the knee injury and his age severely undercut his potential as a fighter and has led to him looking fairly pedestrian during these last few years -- even in winning efforts. Josh didn't respond well to the kicking game of Yair at all and was getting pieced up badly at range. Meanwhile, Giga seems to have a solid chin based on the bombs he was eating from Kattar. Josh could wrestle, I guess, but I don't know if he can sustain that for three rounds and Chikadze has worked dutifully to improve his defensive grappling. Giga should be able to hang out at range and piece Josh up with kicks to the head and body in order to win a UD, maybe late TKO.

That said... if Josh comes correct I wouldn't be too surprised by him copying Calvin's homework and pressuring the shit out of Giga, using a lot of dirty-boxing, crowding the kicks, mixing in the threat of the takedown, etc.

Hmmm, I thought Emmett was looking to go to lightweight for his retirement fight? If this really is his final one. Maybe UFC wanted him to give an opportunity to another FW to leap up the rankings compared to a relatively meaningless fight at LW.

Don’t rate Giga at all. IMO he’s lucky to be ranked what he is now.

Still salty about the Barboza fight. Giga was getting outstruck until he randomly spazzed out and won.

Back