News Aljamain Sterling volunteers to fight Josh Emmett at UFC 296, following Giga Chikadze pull-out

Who wins this potential fight?

• Total voters
Be a ballsy step up. Emmet is a high physicality guy with a major wrestling background. Not an easy takedown going up a division. As I highly doubt Aljo wants a stand up fight with Emmet.
This is a bad matchup, high risk very little reward.

If Sterling volunteers, I don't see why the UFC won't allow it. A charitable act by Sterling to save a company literally from dying.

Sterling is probably just trolling for clout, the same way Kamaru Usman keeps boasting about "I was gonna fight Jan Blachowicz!"

If the fight were to happen though, Sterling doesn't have the power to hurt Emmett with his pillow hands
Kamaru fighting Jan is something Kamaru and everyone else knew never would've happened though. This is one weight class up, and Aljo's been talking about making the move for a while.

Over 20 lbs to cut and a short notice fight vs a tough contender. Aljo got balls.

Kamaru fighting Jan is something Kamaru and everyone else knew never would've happened though. This is one weight class up, and Aljo's been talking about making the move for a while.
Right but Aljo wants a full camp to fully bulk up for a featherweight debut. Taking this fight would be going in underprepared & primarily for a payday.

Much talk about nothing anyways, more like Emmett fights some unranked guy or contender series fighter.

You don't think so?

Emmett is getting older and slower by the day. I could honestly see Aljo out-pointing him on the feet over 3 rounds.
Possibility. I just for some reason see Aljo just not wanting to toy around with Emmet's power potentially landing.

Right but Aljo wants a full camp to fully bulk up for a featherweight debut. Taking this fight would be going in underprepared & primarily for a payday.

Much talk about nothing anyways, more like Emmett fights some unranked guy or contender series fighter.

He's already sufficiently bulked up in his own words (currently around 171-180+) and has announced his official move to 145. He has stated that he has nothing to do right now except sit around and train and has been begging the UFC to give him Max, but they have been trying to book him against Calvin Kattar of all people instead (a pretty blatant snub). I would not be remotely surprised if he believes that Josh, who beat Calvin, fought for an interim title, and is currently sitting just outside the Top 5 is the best match-up he's likely to get at 145 and will jump at the chance to pursue the opportunity even without a dedicated full camp.

Yeah Diego listened to me too, he must be lurking here! <Eek2.0>

I was calling for this as well in another thread lopes is an undercover dawg. UFC needs to strap the rockets to him. He could get nuked though because he will take a punch to give one

Everyone saying this is a bad style matchup for Aljo, but I actually think Aljo easily backpacks and subs him.

Not loving a short notice matchup with a bruiser like Emmett.
Digging that it’s up at FW, though.

Sure, Aljo wants a full camp, but that doesn't mean he wouldn't take a short notice fight like this if the opportunity presented itself. A W over Emmett puts him right in the title picture, and as someone who's getting up there in age, it's not the worst idea in the world.

When's the last time someone got a title shot off beating someone on a two fight losing streak lol, it's as ridiculous as the people who think Tatiana Suarez should jump the line for a title shot for her win over Andrade ahead of Yan Xiaonan who finished Andrade even faster.

I'm sure every one of those names you mentioned is a fighter.

Back