Joe Rogan: The UFC is going to have to add more weight classes eventually

Terribly stupid idea. Cruiser Weight is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. If anything the 265 limit should go, it is based on an antiquated idea that 280 lbs guys would dominate 230 lbs guys, which is not the case.

What about my reponse did you not understand?

If nothing above a 240 pound division is listed, no such divisions exist in my proposal.

As i stated just below the list of divisions..........

Hell no .... There to many midgets and chicks pretending to fight now

*Eventually* you dolts.

That doesn't mean in 2016. If the sport grows, which Rogan thinks it will, it will eventually need more weight classes.

You'll all be free to skip events headlined by 105'ers, and you can all masturbate to the thought of a three-division winning 195'er.

Please dont let it become like boxing. The only possible adjustment I might support would be a removal of the HW cap.

How many fighters are cutting to 205 at HW? Stupid?the average UFc Hw is 240,if anything it will take the fighters like Jones/Gus/Cormier and move them up....guys like Weidman and Rockhold can go to LHW just adjust the weight division.

Cruiser weight is an incredibly dumb idea. You'll have most of the top HWs in that division, and then basically Mir / Hunt / Bigfoot / Barnett who can't make the cut to 224. Only an idiot would want a new 225 lbs weight introduced.

What about my reponse did you not understand?

If nothing above a 240 pound division is listed, no such divisions exist in my proposal.

As i stated just below the list of divisions..........

So everybody now has to cut to 240? Even worse.

I don't really want to see more, but when they do I could see it going like this:

125, 135, 145, 155, 165, 175, 185, 195, 205, 225, 225+

and

105, 115, 135, 145 for women.

2 more for WMMA - 145 and 1 smaller weight

Plus SHW for male

I'm also against the 265 pound maximum.

I'm also against the 265 pound maximum. I don't think boxing has a maximum weight for Heavyweights. When you get up to that size the men are able to compete against guys who outweigh them and still win. I saw an interview with Ken Patera (first man in the world to press 500 pounds over his head) and he was talking about when he went to the Olympics in 1972 to compete in weightlifting and he said that the Russian was something like 30 or 40 pounds heavier than him but he quickly added that it doesn't matter when you get to that size. That was the last Olympics where steroids were legal to use for competition. Anyway whether you're talking about Olympic weightlifting boxing or wrestling, there's just no need for a 265 maximum weight allowable. If for example the Olympics had put a 265 pound maximum on heavyweight weightlifters, the two best weightlifters at that time the American Ken Patera and the Russian Vasili Alexiev both would have been ineligible to compete in the sport! As MMA grows in popularity, there will be more fighters the size of 325 pound football players who will want to compete and won't be able to until they get rid of the 265 pound cap.

It's ridiculous that they bend over backwards to accommodate tiny little guys by creating special weight divisions for them yet lots of the men in the NFL I don't think boxing has a maximum weight for Heavyweights. When you get up to that size the men are able to compete against guys who outweigh them and still win. I saw an interview with Ken Patera (first man in the world to press 500 pounds over his head) and he was talking about when he went to the Olympics in 1972 to compete in weightlifting and he said that the Russian was something like 30 or 40 pounds heavier than him but he quickly added that it doesn't matter when you get to that size. That was the last Olympics where steroids were legal to use for competition. Anyway whether you're talking about Olympic weightlifting boxing or wrestling, there's just no need for a 265 maximum weight allowable. If for example the Olympics had put a 265 pound maximum on heavyweight weightlifters, the two best weightlifters at that time the American Ken Patera and the Russian Vasili Alexiev both would have been ineligible to compete in the sport! As MMA grows in popularity, there will be more fighters the size of 325 pound football players who will want to compete and won't be able to until they get rid of the 265 pound cap. It's ridiculous that they bend over backwards to accommodate tiny little guys by creating special weight divisions for them yet lots of the men in the NFL if they were to want to compete in the UFC, they would be ineligible to compete because they're too big. Fighting is an activity that is naturally suited for big men. A good big man will always beat a good little man in a fight. So for them to go out of their way to make room for little guys in The UFC and at the same time exclude 300 pound guys from being able to fight is completely unnatural. Barring men over 265 pounds from The UFC goes against the nature of fighting itself which favors big men! Can you imagine The NBA instituting a maximum height limit and at the same time creating a separate league for guys under 6 feet tall? It would be unnatural for the sport of basketball to do that just as the previous example is unnatural for the sport of fighting.

Agreed..and believe me my plan would work of a HW 200/224 SHW 225/no limit divisions...whoever wishes to cut weight and go to HW are not overly big HW's so its a wash,there are plenty of 240 pounders who will fight just increase the roster. for incentive purposes also increase the pay as the SHW champion. I don't even think there are many guys under 230 now at HW.

I would like to see a 125 division for the women

Agreed..and believe me my plan would work of a HW 200/224 SHW 225/no limit divisions...whoever wishes to cut weight and go to HW are not overly big HW's so its a wash,there are plenty of 240 pounders who will fight just increase the roster. for incentive purposes also increase the pay as the SHW champion. I don't even think there are many guys under 230 now at HW.

224 is so stupid. All of the top 5 HWs could cut to 224 lbs without too much difficulty. Horrible idea.

Hell no. Boxing already showed how stupid this idea is. At best, add one or two more for fighters struggling to fully rehydrate after the new IV ban goes into effect. No more than two for this.

Cruiser weight is an incredibly dumb idea. You'll have most of the top HWs in that division, and then basically Mir / Hunt / Bigfoot / Barnett who can't make the cut to 224. Only an idiot would want a new 225 lbs weight introduced.

So all those guys you listed are going to cut at a 224 even though they are about 240/270 pounders there? only an idiot doesn't see its a waste of a Division the way it is now.Many more guys at the 200/224 Hw class would fight and the HW of current would NOT change all that much,at SHW,over 224.

I don't really want to see more, but when they do I could see it going like this:

and

basically what i'd suggest. but i'd ditch the super-middleweight class.

women's divs come slowly, the division of WW can happen now, would be great for the sport

HW split can come after HW has some depth some day. it's a good plan, but I'd split WW first, then work towards the new middleweight and superheavy weight. womens 125 would come soonest of course, depending on if womens BW has alot of big gasser or 115 has too many smaller fighters will decide the next women's div after that

but yeah, divide WW is the thing i preach. WW has alot of big boys, so does LW. WW has a few smaller guys. it'd work out for the best. it'd also add a few years to gleison's kidneys.

If anything the heavyweight division needs to have it's upper weight restriction removed, just 206 and up, or make it 200 and up so some of the LHWs have to switch to HW

I actually kind of like this idea. 200+ would be interesting.

So all those guys you listed are going to cut at a 224 even though they are about 240/270 pounders there? only an idiot doesn't see its a waste of a Division the way it is now.Many more guys at the 200/224 Hw class would fight and the HW of current would NOT change all that much,at SHW,over 224.

No an idiot thinks that an already weak division should be split in 2 with fighters haphazardly choosing which class to fight in. Right now you could have Cain drop to 224lbs just because he doesn't want to fight Werdum again. It is a fucking terrible idea man. You would have Stipe / JDS / Werdum / Cain / etc / etc / etc all jumping between classes for whatever suits them best at a certain point in time. Might as well make a right handed and a left handed division.

and

I dont hate that

Terribly stupid idea. Cruiser Weight is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. If anything the 265 limit should go, it is based on an antiquated idea that 280 lbs guys would dominate 230 lbs guys, which is not the case.

I agree. Too many weight classes or separate classes too close to eachother would only serve to make current talent pools shallow kinda like how 125 cut 135 in half and screwed up both divisions. Remove the 265 limit and be done with it. I suppose an argument could be made for LHW being 195 instead of 205 but it's not a big deal. Removing the 265 pound limit is though because it's unfair to force the bigger men to dehydrate themselves because of some pointless limit.

fuck no, merge anything below 170 into just one midget division (bw, fw and lw should be just one fucking division)

Once Ronda gets ktfo wmma will be a thing of the past too.

Anyone...ANYONE...who honestly believes they need to split HW, is really trying to fuck it up even more. If you add, add 125 women's and MAYBE men's 195. I say add none for men. It's becoming a bus station on Labor Day already.

This is going the way of boxing where you flip a coin to decide whether your next fight will be for a "title" or not.

No an idiot thinks that an already weak division should be split in 2 with fighters haphazardly choosing which class to fight in. Right now you could have Cain drop to 224lbs just because he doesn't want to fight Werdum again. It is a fucking terrible idea man. You would have Stipe / JDS / Werdum / Cain / etc / etc / etc all jumping between classes for whatever suits them best at a certain point in time. Might as well make a right handed and a left handed division.

The HW division is weak?lol You do watch MMA right? UFC top 10 are 240 plus pounders and the best line up in any promo in history right NOW..... Cain is not going drop when he weighs over 235 and fights at 240 pounds and not going to not want to fight Wedum again?...That is dumb and this wont happen tomorrow,by the time they would have to restructure the classes we are talking around a year if they even proposed it. All the guys in the UFc top 10 Hw will always be HW's.You are basically saying let the 205 to 230 pound weight difference just leave blank since no one really weighs either weight,unless they drop weight or gain it?So we'll just leave out another class which would be my sensibl;e 200/224 one correct? :confused:

more weight classes = more champions = more ppv events. i actually woulnt mind split h/w into 225 and 265

Hello, Sir.

Could you please tell me the logic behind that?

More belts circulate more money,this is why boxing has many useless belts to add to more champs to bring in more revenue and credibility to promoters/organizations and fighters. they also add fees with a championship belt I believe.

No they do/will not. They can build national, regional, and international levels to the UFC. In that way, fighters can find fame and tiers within the already existing classes.

The exceptions I'd consider are 206-225 and 115 males weight-class for Asia and Central/South America.

ewww wtf

too many as it is

combine 125/135 & 145/155 into 133 & 153.

The HW division is weak?lol You do watch MMA right? UFC top 10 are 240 plus pounders and the best line up in any promo in history right NOW..... Cain is not going drop when he weighs over 235 and fights at 240 pounds and not going to not want to fight Wedum again?...That is dumb and this wont happen tomorrow,by the time they would have to restructure the classes we are talking around a year if they even proposed it. All the guys in the UFc top 10 Hw will always be HW's.You are basically saying let the 205 to 230 pound weight difference just leave blank since no one really weighs either weight,unless they drop weight or gain it?So we'll just leave out another class which would be my sensibl;e 200/224 one correct? :confused:

Mate do you even understand why weight classes exist? It is to essentially protect small fighters who cannot compete with big fighters. But time has shown there is no real difference between guys who could cut to 224 and guys who are 260 lbs. You're almost too dense to even argue with.

Nah. We're good.

MM and Ronda are already on the rematch tour.

I'm also against the 265 pound maximum.

I'm also against the 265 pound maximum. I don't think boxing has a maximum weight for Heavyweights. When you get up to that size the men are able to compete against guys who outweigh them and still win. I saw an interview with Ken Patera (first man in the world to press 500 pounds over his head) and he was talking about when he went to the Olympics in 1972 to compete in weightlifting and he said that the Russian was something like 30 or 40 pounds heavier than him but he quickly added that it doesn't matter when you get to that size. That was the last Olympics where steroids were legal to use for competition. Anyway whether you're talking about Olympic weightlifting boxing or wrestling, there's just no need for a 265 maximum weight allowable. If for example the Olympics had put a 265 pound maximum on heavyweight weightlifters, the two best weightlifters at that time the American Ken Patera and the Russian Vasili Alexiev both would have been ineligible to compete in the sport! As MMA grows in popularity, there will be more fighters the size of 325 pound football players who will want to compete and won't be able to until they get rid of the 265 pound cap.

It's ridiculous that they bend over backwards to accommodate tiny little guys by creating special weight divisions for them yet lots of the men in the NFL weigh over 300 pounds and if some athletes that size wanted to compete in The UFC they wouldn't be eligible! I don't think boxing has a maximum weight for Heavyweights. When you get up to that size the men are able to compete against guys who outweigh them and still win. I saw an interview with Ken Patera (first man in the world to press 500 pounds over his head) and he was talking about when he went to the Olympics in 1972 to compete in weightlifting and he said that the Russian was something like 30 or 40 pounds heavier than him but he quickly added that it doesn't matter when you get to that size. That was the last Olympics where steroids were legal to use for competition. Anyway whether you're talking about Olympic weightlifting boxing or wrestling, there's just no need for a 265 maximum weight allowable. If for example the Olympics had put a 265 pound maximum on heavyweight weightlifters, the two best weightlifters at that time the American Ken Patera and the Russian Vasili Alexiev both would have been a 265 pound maximum on heavyweight weightlifters, the two best weightlifters at that time the American Ken Patera and the Russian Vasili Alexiev both would have been ineligible to compete in the sport! As MMA grows in popularity, there will be more fighters the size of 325 pound football players who will want to compete and won't be able to until they get rid of the 265 pound cap. It's ridiculous that they bend over backwards to accommodate tiny little guys by creating special weight divisions for them yet lots of the men in the NFL if they were to want to compete in the UFC, they would be ineligible to compete because they're too big. Fighting is an activity that is naturally suited for big men. A good big man will always beat a good little man in a fight. So for them to go out of their way to make room for little guys in The UFC and at the same time exclude 300 pound guys from being able to fight is completely unnatural. Barring men over 265 pounds from The UFC goes against the nature of fighting itself which favors big men! Can ineligible to compete in the sport! As MMA grows in popularity, there will be more fighters the size of 325 pound football players who will want to compete and won't be able to until they get rid of the 265 pound cap. It's ridiculous that they bend over backwards to accommodate tiny little guys by creating special weight divisions for them yet lots of the men in the NFL if they were to want to compete in the UFC, they would be ineligible to compete because they're too big. Fighting is an activity that is naturally suited for big men. A good big man will always beat a good little man in a fight. So for them to go out of their way to make room for little guys in The UFC and at the same time exclude 300 pound guys from being able to fight is completely unnatural. Barring men over 265 pounds from The UFC goes against the nature of fighting itself which favors big men! Can you imagine The NBA instituting a maximum height limit and at the same time creating a separate league for guys under 6 feet tall? It would be unnatural for the sport of basketball to do that just as the previous example is unnatural for the sport of fighting.

didn't read, but holy wall of text!

People will bitch about too much weight cutting in MMA, and yet in the same breath say no more weight classes.

I am with you in expressing that sentimemt.

Weight cutting can be dangerous and does not look good for the sport. More weight classes within the same range would increase fighter safety.

Boxing has alot more weight classes that MMA does.

I would like to see for the men.

Proposed Existing
265 -40 : 265 -60
225 -20 : 205 -20
205 -15 : 185 -15
190 -15 : 170 -15
175 -10 : 155 -10
165 -10 : 145 -10
155 -10 : 135 -10
145 -10 : 125
135 -10

That is adding 2 more weight classes within the same range we already have. It would sqeeze in one more weight class between 155 and 205 and add another at 225 to break the heavyweight division into 2 divisions.

The 60 lb spread for heavyweight is too much. A fighter that can no longer make 205 could be fighter another fighter that cut to 265. That is too much.

Dana White had suggested there may be a 115 Men's division coming to carter to Central America, Asia and the Pacific Islands.

For the women, I would like to see the same weight classes that Invicta has.
Adding them in this order. 125,105,145

Count me in for 195. I'm surprised it has not been implemented yet. With all the events the UFC has, a 195 champ would be very useful. Not over saturated at all with a 20 lb. gap between 185 and 205.

If there was a 195 lb division, you'd see the entire MW top 10 fighting at that weight class.

Essentially, almost everyone moves up a division and 125 is eliminated?

Count me in.

Back