Jim Miller says Nate feels like 185lbs and doesn't belong at LW, was the bigger man

I feel like it's Jim who's the small LW more than anything

I have always respected Jim Miller. He's right, you know.

And what he did to Gomi was great. Had Miller fought in Pride instead of the IFL, he would have been a legend. Today, people would be referring to Gomi as perhaps the greatest lightweight of all time.

He's long, and benefits from leverage so that he seems stronger than he is.

He was probably walking around at 177 with a few pounds of steak in him but a morning, empty stomach weight of 177 for Conor? No way.

You calling Owen Roddy a liar son?

i wonder legitimately if Miller feels the same way about Cerrone

Probably feels that way about everyone who beat him. Damn that Frankie Edgar guy should be at MW.

"Nate is also bigger than he looks. He's just one of those guys who, he's not super built, he's not super muscular, but he's strong. He's a very solid individual.
I remember clinching up with him and he was clearly the bigger man. There are only a handful of guys who I've fought where it just felt like fighting a 170-pounder or a 185-pounder. He was one of those guys. It felt like I was fighting a guy who didn't belong in my weight class."

source: http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/8/12/12424062/heart-of-the-209-ufc-202-nate-diaz

jim_miller__.0.0.jpg

For such a skinny-fat guy Nate seems to win a lot of fights because he's the heavier man.
Is he ducking WW or being smart as long as he can make LW?
The division has outgrown Jim Miller, imo.

He looked like Rory's kid brother. Let's be honest he is a 155 pounder.

RoryMacDonaldvs.NateDiaz7.gif

All that matters is weight day. Besides Litlle RDA who could probably fight FW schooled his nate with speed and skills which these bigger LW are giving up.

Last edited:
Not against Condit, Wonderboy, Lawler and Woodley
they were pretty even strength wise

Rory is 5'11 something and weighs 190lbs in the cage. Walks around at 200lbs to 205lbs maybe.

Most of WW is grapplers and in particular wrestlers ranging from 5'9 to 5'11 who weigh the same.

Wonderboy has an adequate amount of muscle mass for his size/height. So does Lawler and Woodley definitely does.

Condit is skinny and is not actually a strong WW he is also quite tall for a WW. In almost all of Condits losses it involves him being manhandled/out muscled. Rory had problems with the technique not strength.

Hendricks and GSP both had no problem throwing Condit around. And Hendricks with a broken hand still managed to take down Condit at will and Condit the bigger frames, more reach and taller fighter could not do shit to stop it.

Ducking WW? Nate has a 3-2 record at WW. However, against true WWs, he's at a disadvantage. Nate's a LW. Is Conor ducking LW or being smart as long as he can make FW? Not a fan, but Conor is being smart so that he can fight in multiple weight classes. However, that doesn't mean he will be successful.

Conor fans give the excuse that Nate being the bigger man (handpicked by Conor, btw) as to why Conor lost, then revel in the fact that Conor is the biggest FW. WTF!

Conor should move to LW. He is better suited for that division.

I don't think Conor is strong enough to compete at WW. Even other 5'9 fighters at WW are way heavier than Conor. Guys like Gastellum, Woodley, Story, Hendricks etc are all 185lbs to 192lbs or so in the cage and walking around close to 200lbs or a little over 200lbs. And old fat Hendricks pre Dolce used to get up to 220lbs and have 23% body fat lol. Of course that wasn't healthy.

Nate is in a similar situation. He is clearly a big LW and a large frame LW who has the height and frame size better suited for WW. And heck if he was heavily muscled he could fight at MW. But I doubt Nate wants to lift that much or gain that much size and strength.

Nate will find it harder to make LW as he ages. WW at the least is his best option.

Nates problem at WW is that he isn't a strong conditioned 185lbs to 194lbs like most of the strong WW are. And he doesn't appear to walk around at 200lbs and lift a lot. His problem at WW is he is fighting a lot of strong wrestlers who for years focused on strength, muscle mass, and conditioning by getting their bodies to the heaviest but most effective weight they could fight at with the most strength.

Nate didn't do that and it shows. Hence why he did better at a lower weight class. At the lower weight class his natural larger size and strength from being larger can translate better.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rory is 5'11 something and weighs 190lbs in the cage. Walks around at 200lbs to 205lbs maybe.

Most of WW is grapplers and in particular wrestlers ranging from 5'9 to 5'11 who weigh the same.

Wonderboy has an adequate amount of muscle mass for his size/height. So does Lawler and Woodley definitely does.

Condit is skinny and is not actually a strong WW he is also quite tall for a WW. In almost all of Condits losses it involves him being manhandled/out muscled. Rory had problems with the technique not strength.

Hendricks and GSP both had no problem throwing Condit around. And Hendricks with a broken hand still managed to take down Condit at will and Condit the bigger frames, more reach and taller fighter could not do shit to stop it.

Conor should move to LW. He is better suited for that division.

I don't think Conor is strong enough to compete at WW. Even other 5'9 fighters at WW are way heavier than Conor. Guys like Gastellum, Woodley, Story, Hendricks etc are all 185lbs to 192lbs or so in the cage and walking around close to 200lbs or a little over 200lbs. And old fat Hendricks pre Dolce used to get up to 220lbs and have 23% body fat lol. Of course that wasn't healthy.

Nate is in a similar situation. He is clearly a big LW and a large frame LW who has the height and frame size better suited for WW. And heck if he was heavily muscled he could fight at MW. But I doubt Nate wants to lift that much or gain that much size and strength.

Nate will find it harder to make LW as he ages. WW at the least is his best option.

Nates problem at WW is that he isn't a strong conditioned 185lbs to 194lbs like most of the strong WW are. And he doesn't appear to walk around at 200lbs and lift a lot. His problem at WW is he is fighting a lot of strong wrestlers who for years focused on strength, muscle mass, and conditionin and getting their bodies to the heaviest but most effective weight they could fight at with the most strength.

Nate didn't do that and it shows. Hence why he did better at a lower weight class. At the lower weight class his natural larger size and strength from being larger can translate better.
That's quite a lot of text for saying that nate wouldn't do that well against big WW wrestlers and Conor isn't a WW.

You sure did honey-dick that title up didn't you?

That's quite a lot of text for saying that nate wouldn't do that well against big WW wrestlers and Conor isn't a WW.

Yeah but it is true. A lot of people are confused on strength and why some guys fight at a certain division and why others appear too weak at a division.

And people say Conor's fans are classless. There is no need to crap upon Jim just because he voiced his opinion. Guy has been a class act throughout his career. Just because you people feel that he is somehow disparaging your man crush by saying that he was stronger than he'd thought, doesn't mean that he's not entitled to his opinion. Does it shatter your "Skinny, fat, relatable" persona of Nate which you can no longer connect to?

Nate is one of the bigger LWs but doesn't seem drawn out when he cuts weight and at WW he's undersized, there are guys with his height and reach but with more mass like Rory, Wonderboy, and his brother Nick.

To bad he really didn't bight off his tongue so we didn't have to hear that horse shit

I think Nate and Conor have the same problem; they're both a little too big for the weight classes that they compete at, but a little too small for the classes above them. They go through tough cuts but enjoy a reach advantage at their current classes. They're in-between-ers.
yeah I was being sarcastic lol

Back