Jim Miller says Nate feels like 185lbs and doesn't belong at LW, was the bigger man

lecter

not even webscale
@Silver
Reaction score
"Nate is also bigger than he looks. He's just one of those guys who, he's not super built, he's not super muscular, but he's strong. He's a very solid individual.
I remember clinching up with him and he was clearly the bigger man. There are only a handful of guys who I've fought where it just felt like fighting a 170-pounder or a 185-pounder. He was one of those guys. It felt like I was fighting a guy who didn't belong in my weight class."

source: http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/8/12/12424062/heart-of-the-209-ufc-202-nate-diaz

jim_miller__.0.0.jpg

For such a skinny-fat guy Nate seems to win a lot of fights because he's the heavier man.
Is he ducking WW or being smart as long as he can make LW?

He lost to Rory, and comfortably made weight at 155 for years, so I don't know if you call that "ducking" but sure...

Nate is sorta like Jones, he isn't truly that "big" but his reach and height are very difficult for shorter opponents to handle.. the same way McGregor is a monster at FW

High praise coming from a guy like Jim Miller who is pretty damn strong himself.

If he makes weight, he's not ducking shit.

P.S. I do feel Conor has a chance, but when I read it earlier today I couldn't help it but think "oh boy, Conor is so fucked".

If Nate is ducking WW then every single fighter who cuts weight is ducking.

Weidman and Rockhold are 'natural' HWs, in that if they cut no weight they weigh over 205lbs. But weight cutting is not illegal, so Weidman and Rockhold are MWs, Jones and Cormier are LHWs, Conor is a FW and Nate is a LW. If you can make the weight safely at the weigh in, that's your division.

EDIT: removed accidental sexual intercourse reference

Last edited:
He lost to Rory, and comfortably made weight at 155 for years, so I don't know if you call that "ducking" but sure...

Nate is sorta like Jones, he isn't truly that "big" but his reach and height are very difficult for shorter opponents to handle.. the same way McGregor is a monster at FW
agree. those are good analogies.
Ugh. Come on, Jim. You're better than that.
Maybe. Not better than Nate though.

So Conor moved up three weight classes then.

Nate never looks like a corpse when making weight. If he can make it, then he belongs at that weight class.

He was absolutely ragdolled by Rory
He's no WW either

i wonder legitimately if Miller feels the same way about Cerrone

agree. those are good analogies.

Maybe. Not better than Nate though.
I dunno - Jones has skinny limbs and a big torso. Nate has a different body type. Nate has to cut a lot to fight at LW, he's very big for that division. But he's clearly much smaller than the WW's he has lost to, he seems like the kind of bloke who'd benefit from a 160lbs division - not that I think we need a division like that, just that Nate would seem to fit neatly between LW and WW.

he's clearly ducking fighters his own size

amirite?

Back