JDS got 260 000 against Stipe and he says he's a poor guy??

He's probably living beyond his means with a statement like that.

He's a 1%er in reality and rich. That's a foolish thing to say

And now he will lose all his sponsorships because of the Reebok deal...

He wasn't "poor". He was just trying to maintain his standard of living even when he was inactive. Financing an expensive lifestyle will break you quick when you have no steady income.

True. The problem is many of the guys who get near the top in mma come from a poor background (brazilians at least). They get their first big paycheck and buy a big house, and a nice car, start living a lifestyle that would work just fine if the income was constant and would last for decades, but it does not.

Funny thing is he is very close to the Nog brothers, who seem to be very smart with money and even have their own franchise brand of gyms. He should get advice. Nobody spends more time between one UFC paycheck and the next than Lil Nog.

he should've simply tried to find some things to invest in when he started making good money. If i was making 100k per year for example i would invest atleast 65-75% of that

I'm conflicted. I don't think the fighters should be rich or the owners

Well, while we could always stray into a broader debate of life and essential needs, the fact is that in this world, if you're someone whom millions of people around the world are tuning in to watch on television regularly, you ought to be well compensated, by relative standards.

Honestly I think they are looking too much into top boxers pays and comparing it.

How many years do you think it takes an avg person to earn a million dollars...

Everybody pays taxes, you dummy. GTFO with that BS.

Sure JDS is being taken care of just fine...don't think he has to worry about money unless he's blowing his paychecks on hookers, coke, and rehab.

what kind of pro fighter would do that???

Happens a lot when poor get rich and start spending money like crazy, most lotto winners waste their winnings in no time.

So his issue there is that he went a long time between fights and didn't get a paycheque for a while... which is fair...

That being said, remember that foreign fighters pay more taxes when they fight in the states, plus the pay for his manager and coaches is usually a percentage, so it grows as his pay grows. Its totally possibly that he took him less than 30 percent of that after taxes and his expenses... Plus I'm guessing his wife doesn't work because he's a big deal.. So it's not thaaaaat shocking that he was getting a little stretched on money.

So you feel a professional fighter is more important to REAL LIFE than a fireman saving your ass when your house is cooking?

who sounds hilarious here? You think being a fireman is easier than being a fighter? They both have their hardships, but seriously dude, its people that think like you that vailt these enternainers on platforms above real life heroes and role models

I'd love to get paid $120,000 for working 3 days a week

He makes less than half after taxes (minimum 30% almost certainly more) training cost, paying managers etc

He shouldnt be making as much money as a plumber after all is said and done

He makes less than half after taxes (minimum 30% almost certainly more) training cost, paying managers etc

He shouldnt be making as much money as a plumber after all is said and done

a plumber works more hours, is more in demand and is way more useful to way more people... why not?

having a good income doesn't mean that you're good with your money. JDS is not poor, and if he is it's because he's not managing his income well... perhaps it could be argued he deserves more but he's certainly got enough to live a comfortable lifestyle and if he isn't then he's not being very careful

With his lifestyle, it's not really a whole lot especially considering some of the folks he is surrounded by. For who he is, it should be more.

but for average people like us, it is more than enough. All we'd do it sit around watching UFC eating cheetos and drinking beer all day.

Regular people raise families on 30 or 40 grand a year. If he's broke after making all that money than he needs to look in the mirror.

He is a former champion and top3 HW fighter with an exciting fighting style.

260 is chump change for that kind of ability imo. You can't compare him to the average Joe.

That's why you can't listen to fighters when they complain about money. They often don't manage it well.

He is a former champion and top3 HW fighter with an exciting fighting style.

260 is chump change for that kind of ability imo. You can't compare him to the average Joe.

who is he though? he's a guy that works once a year in a niche sport

That's only a little over 1million in the last 2ish years. After tax and expenses that's only like 200k or something. But for real its like nick saying he's broke immediately after the GSP fight where he easily made over a million.

For someone who was the UFC HW champ and regarded as one of the best heavyweights today, that is a pathetic amount.

260,000 dollars for a 25 minute fight and he's crying?

GTFO. Even if you include 6 weeks of training at 40 hours a week, that's about 1100 an hour. A fireman putting his life on the line to save others is good for about 40-50 an hour.

People are fucking evil

WTF? 40-50 an hour to be a fire fighter? I highly doubt that, half of that sounds realistic.

Back