JDS got 260 000 against Stipe and he says he's a poor guy??

Wow you guys are hilarious.

Sure, it's just as easy to be a fighter like Dos Santos than it is to become a fireman. I mean geez, there's about 3-4 fighters on Dos Santos' level in the whole UFC, and there's what? several million firemen?

The top 0.1% of the sport should be paid their worth.

he is

All the other Brazilians are just jealous cause they're not making that Anderson Silva money

And he made $0 from the UFC for over a year. That doesn't make hose payments, bills, surgeries, or training expenses go away.

During that time, he relied on sponsors that paid him monthly.

Correct. Which he also said his biggest fear was losing his sponsors because they paid him when he was inactive from fighting. That's all the article is about. His fear of being injured and not getting paid plus losing his sponsors.

That's it everyone!

Fighters usually end up paying about 30% to managers, gym trainers and stuff like that. I doubt he's poor but being as inactive as he is he probably isn't super rich either

70% of $260,000 is a lot money, even if that's his only fight of the year.

And he made $0 from the UFC for over a year. That doesn't make hose payments, bills, surgeries, or training expenses go away.

There are professional athletes that have made 100 times what JDS made and gone broke just as easily.

Well he didn't train for over a year.No expenses there.He had a broken hand for fu** sake,do you think you have to pay 1 million for a hand surgery?

He only had daily expenses and had more than half a million from the UFC plus let's say at least 100 000 from shows he made,plus being a comentator AND his sponsors money.

I'm sorry but if you're having trouble with that kind of money in brazil,i don't know what the fu** you're doing.

Well he didn't train for over a year.No expenses there.He had a broken hand for fu** sake,do you think you have to pay 1 million for a hand surgery?

He only had daily expenses and had more than half a million from the UFC plus let's say at least 100 000 from shows he made,plus being a comentator AND his sponsors money.

I'm sorry but if you're having trouble with that kind of money in brazil,i don't know what the fu** you're doing.

Aren't fighters medically insured by ufc? I don't think he'd have to pay a lot of for any type of surgery.

Really? Please tell me how he broke his hand. He didn't have to pay for the training leading up to the Stipe fight? Think this through.

And cost of surgery, rehabilitation, house payment, car payment, daily expenses, training camp leading up to the first Stipe fight, training camp leading up to the second Stipe fight, flying his team to the States...

You do understand he had to pay for all of this right?

He fought one time in a whole year and he is second best HW in the world yet he gets 250k while guys like Deontay Wilder gets 1 million for one fight.

If anything he should get more, a lot more than that.

He hadn't fought in over a year, needed to pay for his gym, surgery, medicals before Stipe, and had money taken away from his paycheck before he made it to Brazil.

His disclosed pay was $260,000. He lost 30% of that to the IRS.

30% isn't even bad, I make over 250 000 a year in nova scotia Canada and pay 48% tax

He wasn't "poor". He was just trying to maintain his standard of living even when he was inactive. Financing an expensive lifestyle will break you quick when you have no steady income.

If you can't survive on 1 million US dollars, in Brazil, for two years, you are a fucking idiot. But please, do tell us more about expenses and taxes. Let's do some extreme envelope math and see if anyone cries Argentina:

50% tax - 500K left.
50% to manager - $250,000 left.
Medical expenses and training bills: $100,000... 150,000K left. (and I highly doubt he spent that much, I'm just making an extreme point).

If you live in fucking Brazil, and can't survive on $150,000 for two years you are a retard. Especially when you have a monthly income from sponsors.

Last edited:
Poor money management is a possible reason. He might have to pay big aliments to his ex-wife and child. His parents may need financial help too.

Obviously it is more than possible for 99.99% of people to live a comfortable lifestyle even after those expenses, training expenses and taxes. But that does not necessarily make you rich.

Incase anyone is wondering, his net worth as of 2012 was 10 MILLION DOLLARS.

If you can't survive on 1 million US dollars, in Brazil, for two years, you are a fucking idiot. But please, do tell us more about expenses and taxes. Let's do some extreme envelope math and see if anyone cries Argentina:

50% tax - 500K left.
50% to manager - $250,000 left.
Medical expenses and training bills: $100,000... 150,000K left. (and I highly doubt he spent that much, I'm just making an extreme point).

If you live in fucking Brazil, and can't survive on $150,000 for two years you are a retard. Especially when you have a monthly income from sponsors.

I agree with your point in general, but the taxes are not even close to 50%.
The highest income tax would be 27,5%.

If he is spending that much, it's poor money management. Still, 14 months without a pay check is hard after you get used to a certain income.

Well, 14 months without a paycheck is hard on anyone. We all get used to living a lifestyle that is compatible with our earnings.

I agree. I said that as well

My response:
Correct. Which he also said his biggest fear was losing his sponsors because they paid him when he was inactive from fighting. That's all the article is about. His fear of being injured and not getting paid plus losing his sponsors.

That's it everyone!

Do you work for IRS or something?

Yes. I used Google, even with semi accuracy, he is not hardup. We all think he is a great guy, but he's a dumbass fiscally speaking, if he's tightening his belt for lack of money.

I agree with your point in general, but the taxes are not even close to 50%.
The highest income tax would be 27,5%.

If he is spending that much, it's poor money management. Still, 14 months without a pay check is hard after you get used to a certain income.

Of course, I was using inflated figures to further prove the lunacy of claiming you are poor when you earn so much money compared to the rest of the world. Both first and third. Nobody cried for Tyson when he went into debt.

The man had an estimated net worth of 10 million dollars close to TWO years ago. If you screw that up, you deserve it.

Back